No Idea What I'm Doing -- HELP!

lalenalei

I live in Hawaii, where Jackson's Chameleons thrive in the wild. Someone thought it would be a good idea to drop off a male and female for my twin three-year-old boys to have as pets (I think the C.j. xantholophus subtype but don't quote me on it). Obviously they cannot take care of chams, so I have taken on that role. I never planned to have them or wanted them, but since we got them about three months ago, my maternal instincts have set in and I spend a lot of time tending to them -- which is huge since I am completely scared (like panic attack) about geckos.

So the boy is Mickey and the girl is Minnie (my kids named them haha). No idea how old they are, but Minnie had nine babies about three weeks ago. We were on vacation -- my mom took care of them for about a week and then released them in the wild because we couldn't find anyone to take them (not even pet stores) since they are a dime a dozen around here.

They seemed okay -- Minnie was initially really brown (they were in the same cage), but after they were separated, she seemed good. Mickey has always eaten well, Minnie not so much but improved after introducing mealworms and now eats pretty good, too. She had an abscess that the vet drained. She is on antibiotics. Since then, she has not been eating though. She still drinks water (but not as much as before). I am worried about both of them because although they are still active, Minnie stays hidden in the branches all the time and Mickey is rubbing his eye against the side of the cage! What the heck is that all about? It's very disturbing, as I think he's gonna gauge his eye out. I only saw him doing it once, but that was enough for me to freak out. The vet said I need to do some bugcatching in the yard to vary their diet more, but other than that, I have no idea what to do.

Any advice you have would be helpful. Thanks.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Aluminum with PVC green bottom. 24"L x 16"W x 30"H. Here is the link: http://chameleonsonly.com/Screen-Enclosures.htm

Lighting - They live outside in our backyard. They are against the wall of the garage and under an eave so they don't get rained on directly. I take them into the yard for direct sunlight exposure in the early morning hours for about 2 hours. They seem to really like it.

Temperature - I do not measure temps. But if they survive less than a mile away from our house in the wild, my guess is that the temps are okay.

Humidity - I think the average humidity here is around 65-75%, depending on the "season".

Plants - Each cage has a ficus benjamina, curly ficus, and hibiscus plant in it.

Placement - They are sitting at ground level under an eave next to the garage (which fronts our backyard). There really is only activity around them if we are having an outdoor dinner party or if the boys are playing in that area, which isn't often.

Location - Honolulu

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - I think they are C.j. xantholophus. No idea how old they are, but we have had them for a little less than three months.

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Never. The only time they are touched is when we took Minnie to the vet and when my husband gives her the antibiotics twice a day. I am scared to touch them!

Feeding - They eat crickets and mealworms. I am trying to get silkworms but they are really hard to get around here. I put about 4-5 crickets in the cage each day. I think I am gutloading them -- if that means that I feed the crickets stuff like potato, cabbage, lettuce, carrot, apple, etc.

Supplements - I dust them with reptivite.

Watering - Since they are in the yard, I just bought a nozzle for the hose and put it on a really fine mist and hold that over both cages. The aluminum screen catches some of it and creates drips. Otherwise, the mist goes in through the fine mesh. I water for about 10 min, 3x/day. I can see them drinking, although sometimes it takes Minnie awhile to engage.

Fecal Description - Dark brown cocoon-looking poop that sometimes looks a little stringy when it starts to get old. White stuff, too -- I think that is the urates? They have not been tested -- the vet didn't ask to do it either.

History - No idea.

Current Problem - Mostly that I don't know what I'm doing and if they are okay. How long can they go without eating? Drinking? My husband said when he gave Minnie the antibiotics this morning, she had cotton mouth and it seemed stringy-like. But then I saw her drinking water today (although less than usual). She did eat about 5 mealworms so her tongue is extending fine. Mickey has that eye-rubbing issue and seems to have a tiny black mark on the bottom of his mouth.

Here are some pics. I hope I can upload them correctly....

When we first got them. Note: they are in a homemade cage and NOT the cages they live in now.

IMG_5653_3.jpg

IMG_5656_3.jpg

When Minnie got her owie (yes, I have three-year-olds haha):

image002-1.jpg

image004-1.jpg

These are from today:

IMG_5830.jpg

IMG_5833.jpg

IMG_5835.jpg

IMG_5837.jpg

(She opened her mouth at me after I took this so I stopped. I also suck as a photographer because I don't know how to make my camera focus on the subject and not on the cage!)

It would probably be a good idea to let them get rained on and also have access to bask in the sun but also to be able to escape to shade.aside from the females abscess they both look pretty healthy.The male looks really good,

For someone who didnt want to be a chameleon owner, and says they dont know what they are doing, you actually sound like you're doing alright!

If your kids arent attached, and as you didnt really want the chameleons in the first place, perhaps you'd be best off just to re-releast them where they came from?

But if you've decided to keep and enjoy them, Given they were wild caught, it is probably worthwhile to have a fecal test done. There is a good chance they have parasites. Some are easily treated form, some are not.

Do try to find additional feeder insects, such as silkworms, butterworms, moths, flies, and roaches. Dont use too much cabbage as gutload. More info on gutloading: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition.html

Consider raising the cages up onto a table or bench or something. They are naturally aboreal and prefer to be upwards of 5 feet off the ground.

Thank you for the posts! I'm glad to know I'm on the right track at least!

I wasn't sure about the gutloading, but I only gave cabbage once though so that is good.

Any info about why Minnie stays in that curled up tail/sleeping position all the time? That worries me.

Reptivite has preformed vitamin A in it so don't overdo it...once a month is likely enough for it.

If you are feeding it captive raised insects (from a pet store or commercial place) then I would recommend gutloading them as well as dusting them with a phos.-free calcium powder at most feedings.

Since they are getting direct sunlight I doubt that they will need a D3 supplement.

Crickets, roaches, superworms, etc. can be fed a wide variety of greens dandelions, kale, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, zucchini, etc.).

Make sure that the female gets lots of water since she is on antibiotics. The antibiotics may be slowing her appetite.

Misting the male so that he can wash his eye out may help...but if it doesn't then it may need to see a vet.

Good luck!

If Minnie is still getting antibiotics she may not be feeling all that well. Some meds can decrease appetite too. Try catching night flying insects in a porch light and releasing them in the cages. Flying insects (not brightly colored ones) often get a cham's interest going.

They look good. It seems like you are on the right track.

It isn't a big deal for them to get rained on..... They do get rain in the wild. :)

If you would like to encurrage them to drink more, use warm water. This might be hard in the morning.... but in the afternoon and later afternoon during your third mist (assuming you space them out) Lay the hose in the yard or on the driveway so it gets direct sun... the water coming out will be nice and warm. They will drink and bath in the water much sooner.

The absess looks to be rostral damage from nose rub/barrier confusion, common in wild caught herps., possibly the male is exhibiting same behaviours, but eye rubbing is common around preshed too.. Female looks pretty 'rounded' in those pics (possibly gravid..again?)

Any info about why Minnie stays in that curled up tail/sleeping position all the time? That worries me.

Could be feeling 'off' due to medication or developing infection, might just be spacial stress (they can avoid each other in the wild other than for mating)
Best wishes

Niiiiiice babies!:D
Congrats on the Jax! You seem to like the thankless toil keeping Chameleons entails.:rolleyes:
Here's a site with lots of info on big and little Jacksons.
http://www.geocities.com/chamjacksonii/
It helped me out plenty.
Good luck and good keeping!

Thanks, I have read that awesome site over and over again. But I still feel like I have more to learn! I am just a sap and would be super bummed if anything happened to them. Minnie seems okay (didn't eat mealworms today but all the crickets were gone and there were two poops so rock on). My self-prescribed coping is to only freak out when they stop drinking water and don't poop. ;)

If Minnie is still getting antibiotics she may not be feeling all that well. Some meds can decrease appetite too. Try catching night flying insects in a porch light and releasing them in the cages. Flying insects (not brightly colored ones) often get a cham's interest going.

Oy, that sounds like hard work! Good thing I am in a family full of boys. We will try it! TY!

They look good. It seems like you are on the right track.

It isn't a big deal for them to get rained on..... They do get rain in the wild. :)

If you would like to encurrage them to drink more, use warm water. This might be hard in the morning.... but in the afternoon and later afternoon during your third mist (assuming you space them out) Lay the hose in the yard or on the driveway so it gets direct sun... the water coming out will be nice and warm. They will drink and bath in the water much sooner.

I've been trying to use warm water, but will make a better effort to do so. I know they get rained on in the wild.....I just feel badly cuz I wouldn't want rain on me that way haha. Which is why I'm not a chameleon! :D

The absess looks to be rostral damage from nose rub/barrier confusion, common in wild caught herps., possibly the male is exhibiting same behaviours, but eye rubbing is common around preshed too.. Female looks pretty 'rounded' in those pics (possibly gravid..again?)

Could be feeling 'off' due to medication or developing infection, might just be spacial stress (they can avoid each other in the wild other than for mating)
Best wishes

OMG she cannot be gravid again! They were separated before she gave birth last time so I'm in the clear, right?????

How often do they shed? And yeah, she may not be too happy about the tutti-fruity medicine.

Well she may not be gravid, or rather pregnant, just looks a bit round. Not sure if chameleons have been noted for retaining.
Shedding frequency will depend on its growth rate, not a concern really. :)

Miner-al O or Rep Cal Without Vitamin D3 every feeding is needed, and Reptivite once, maybe twice a month. Exess Preformed Vitamin A is harmfull, so stop using it immediately. use it twice next month... But yes Get the Miner-al O or Rep Cal Without Vitamin D3. Those are the more popular ones.

-Steve

They look great!!! You made me laugh because you said you did not know what you were doing but you actually did a whole lot better than I did and I wanted mine... Good job and beautiful Jax =}

Back
Top Bottom