No heat bulb?

Alexkim94

Hello guys, I went to this local chameleon breeder and he had 50+ panther chams, 10+ parsons, and bunch of pigmy chams.
However, none of them had heating bulb on them. All chams had their own UVB light fixture (bout 18inch I guess), misting system which sets for twice a day, and a small fan that circulates the air to dry out the unnecessary moisture.

The place was pretty warm around 25 degree celcius and moist environment.

I wonder if it is okay to neglect the heating bulb because UVB light somehow create heat source for the cage and the environment itself is kept in appropriate temperature. The guy I met strongly suggested me to not use heating bulb for future environments. He has been in this hobby for over 10+ years and all of his chams looked extremely gorgeous and healthy.

Please comment if you disagree with this idea.(also please comment if anyone actually use this method.)

Well you can go without a heat bulb if your ambient temperature is good and they have a warmer temperature that they can get to. But to guess that it’s around 25 degrees Celsius/77 degrees fahrenheit is miss leading information did you ask the breeder what the temps were? Did you ask what the temperatures were at the top of his cages? You use a heat bulb to create a warmer basking spot but if the temperature is ok with just using the UVB then it’s fine.

Well you can go without a heat bulb if your ambient temperature is good and they have a warmer temperature that they can get to. But to guess that it’s around 25 degrees Celsius/77 degrees fahrenheit is miss leading information did you ask the breeder what the temps were? Did you ask what the temperatures were at the top of his cages? You use a heat bulb to create a warmer basking spot but if the temperature is ok with just using the UVB then it’s fine.

I did not ask him what's the temperature right beneath the UVB fixture. 25 degree celcius indicates the average room temperature that he is keeping the chameleons in.
However I doubt that UVB reach 100 degree Farenheit by itself though..
I guess this method only works in a room that is meant for chams only lol

Thanks for your reply!

I did not ask him what's the temperature right beneath the UVB fixture. 25 degree celcius indicates the average room temperature that he is keeping the chameleons in.
However I doubt that UVB reach 100 degree Farenheit by itself though..
I guess this method only works in a room that is meant for chams only lol

Thanks for your reply!
What chameleon needs a 100 degrees basking spot?

This is dangerously incorrect information. An adult male's basking spot should not be hotter than 90F. 85F for a female
Wow..thanks for the correction. This is why I should not believe everything on google.. I'll definitely keep this in mind.
That's almost like nothing though.
I also heard that exposure to high temperature shortens panther chams lifespan.. Should I minimize the basking time for panthers? I'm thinking turning on basking lamp for an hour everyday.

Wow..thanks for the correction. This is why I should not believe everything on google.. I'll definitely keep this in mind.
That's almost like nothing though.
I also heard that exposure to high temperature shortens panther chams lifespan.. Should I minimize the basking time for panthers? I'm thinking turning on basking lamp for an hour everyday.

Leave it in all day and create gradients of temperature in your cage. Let the chameleon have the choice to bask or not. Basking helps metabolic functions.

Back
Top Bottom