Night Time Temps for Panther Chameleons

ChameleonAlley

We just got a 3-4 month old baby panther, and it's starting to get cold here in Oklahoma. I'm wondering how low the room temperature can drop to at night when there is no lighting on in the cage, and the chameleon will still be ok? We're currently looking at about 65 degrees in the house, but it's daytime, and the chameleon has all it's lighting on. We have space heaters, and can turn the heat up at night, I just need to know what is best to keep the room temp at? Thanks in advance all. :)

I asked the breeder that same question when I got my panther (living in Michigan), and she said down to 60 would be okay. So that's what we've been done, and he's been fine for four winters now.

High temps?

So now we know the lowest temp what is the highest safe temp? Highest safe temp for a gravid female panther?

Most everyone here will say 85 is the highest you want to go for a panther but i keep mine outside and its around 88-90 and he is very well hydrated and eating like a champ. Kinda weird though at the end of the month its suppose to drop into the high 40's so I think its time to go inside.

I have a panther, about 15 months old. I have plenty of vines at different heights and two basking spots...

One is at 94 and the other is at 85. Guess where Vinny loves to stay? Yep, 94.

He is very active and move around quite a bit. Showers come on 3 times a day.

Just thought I would add to this thread...

Take care,
Roberto

I have a panther, about 15 months old. I have plenty of vines at different heights and two basking spots...

One is at 94 and the other is at 85. Guess where Vinny loves to stay? Yep, 94.

He is very active and move around quite a bit. Showers come on 3 times a day.

Just thought I would add to this thread...

Take care,
Roberto

94 is way too hot. Chameleons get burned all the time because they don't know to move. They depend on us to take care of them. One of the breeders and most well respected member on here recommends 85 tops for a panther.
See post #12.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/odd-color-change-sunken-29402/

This is what I recommend:

Adult
day basking spot up to 90F/32C
day ambient range 70-80F /21 -26C
night to a low of 65F/18C

Young
day basking spot up to 81F/27C
day ambient range 70-75F /21 -23C
night to a low of 68F/20C

I changed the bulbs...

Now one is at 85F and one is at 90F.

So, is 85 or 90 the top end?

Thanks for helping out!!!!!!!!!

This has been hashed out over and over again.

It is more than well documented that ambient temps in Madagascar get well into the high 90s. But you have to realize the amount of rain that falls during the hottest part of the year there. We tell newbs 85-90 simply because that is the safest range to keep them with the regular amount of mistings often given in captivity. Once you go over 90 the chams health can and will diminish quickly if extra misting sessions are not given or if one or 2 are missed it can be fatal.

So to answer your question 90 is the top end of the safe "easy" zone.

I'm in Michigan also and we recently had a major drop in temps the last few weeks. Outside is lucky to peak at 50 lately. Anyways when the cold started my house is still 70 ambient and during the day with 75 watt basking bulb the ambient in the cage only went to about 73 or so. I noticed my Panther didn't want to eat much. So I threw another 75 watt basking bulb in another part of the cage and the temps raised to about 78 ambient. I don't have the branches really close to the bulbs, so the highest point he can get to the temp is around 90. He is back to his normal self eating a ton. Night time I don't do anything, but to keep him happy during the day I had to bump the heat in the cage. I would just make sure at night that the cage is totally dry before shutting off the lights.

I'm in Michigan also and we recently had a major drop in temps the last few weeks. Outside is lucky to peak at 50 lately. Anyways when the cold started my house is still 70 ambient and during the day with 75 watt basking bulb the ambient in the cage only went to about 73 or so. I noticed my Panther didn't want to eat much. So I threw another 75 watt basking bulb in another part of the cage and the temps raised to about 78 ambient. I don't have the branches really close to the bulbs, so the highest point he can get to the temp is around 90. He is back to his normal self eating a ton. Night time I don't do anything, but to keep him happy during the day I had to bump the heat in the cage. I would just make sure at night that the cage is totally dry before shutting off the lights.
mist the cage before night Humidity is important at night

We just got a 3-4 month old baby panther, and it's starting to get cold here in Oklahoma. I'm wondering how low the room temperature can drop to at night when there is no lighting on in the cage, and the chameleon will still be ok? We're currently looking at about 65 degrees in the house, but it's daytime, and the chameleon has all it's lighting on. We have space heaters, and can turn the heat up at night, I just need to know what is best to keep the room temp at? Thanks in advance all. :)
My male panther is now about 10 months old now but I've had him since he was about 3 months old or so. I have forced air so that helps me control temps in my home. I keep it around 70f (winter) 73f(summer) during the day which keeps the top of his enclosure at those temps (basking is 80f). At night, I still keep it around 70, but the temps where he sleeps drop into the low-mid 60s. That's just how it works out and I've learned that just keeping track of the temps.

Not only has this not been an issue, but it's recommended to be under 68f when specifically using a fogger. So if anything it's ideal to get into the low-mid 60s at night. On Chameleon Academy, Bill says they can easily handle temps as low as the 50s, as they will likely see those temps in the wild in high elevation, as long as they get adequate heat during the day to warm up.

I just added my two cents bc ppl still come here for info
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

Back
Top Bottom