Night time heat lamp?

Curly_Cham

Recently moved to middle Minnesota, this will be my first winter here. Im concerned about my new veiled, Zhuri, getting too cold at night when the temperature drops.

I have the day heat bulb and uvb bulb, id read that its not usually necessary for a heat lamp at night. I try to keep the house temp set around the 70 degree mark, but as this will be my first northern winter I'm not sure how cold it will actually get inside.

1. How much of a temperature drop is ok at night for young chams?
2. Should the heat lamp stay on all night or be on a schedule?
3. Are there set ups available that could detect too much of a temperature drop so that he can stay safe if it gets too cold unexpectedly?

The night temperature can drop down into the low 60's F at night or even lower at times.
I have the basking light and the UVB on the same schedule...12 hours on 12 hours off.
I don't know if there is something that could detect the temperature drop and run on if necessary...I have always had a whole room for my reptiles and had an electric fireplace set to come on if it got too cold.

The night temperature can drop down into the low 60's F at night or even lower at times.
I have the basking light and the UVB on the same schedule...12 hours on 12 hours off.
I don't know if there is something that could detect the temperature drop and run on if necessary...I have always had a whole room for my reptiles and had an electric fireplace set to come on if it got too cold.

Thank you for the insight. It's much appreciated! I will be getting a timer for the day lights, but right now I do it manually, I just wasnt sure when or if I'd need a heat source for night.

Its a veiled. The dont have a very warm home land, they do get pockets of frost. As long as they have a basking spot, air temps of at least 70 during the peak of the day, and night time temps of 50f or higher, you are fine. Some Florida folk still dont take the panthers/veilds in with night time temps in the mid 40's, but its not for the faint of heart.

Thank you for the insight. It's much appreciated! I will be getting a timer for the day lights, but right now I do it manually, I just wasnt sure when or if I'd need a heat source for night.
I use this ceramic bulb if the weather gets chilly at night. It just gives heat no light. Also Stanley makes a small heater that's at Home Depot or Lowes

Attachments

• IMG_3156.JPG
    IMG_3156.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 56
Back
Top Bottom