Night night

Ramrod

Chameleon Enthusiast
Couple of questions What would covering the enclosure at night do to the humidity ? I would think it would rise so would it be best to do so since humidity should be high at night? Question#2 are there any stats on how much uvb is lost by going through 1/4" wire screen?

I would think for your second question. Every fixture/reflector and screen combo would have its own UVB loss. The only way to be sure the basking spot is at the correct height would be with the a solarmeter.

If you posted your light fixture/enclosure combo, I'm sure someone on this site is using the same stuff.

I would think for your second question. Every fixture/reflector and screen combo would have its own UVB loss. The only way to be sure the basking spot is at the correct height would be with the a solarmeter.

If you posted your light fixture/enclosure combo, I'm sure someone on this site is using the same stuff.
T5Ho 48" arcadia 12% single reflector thru 1/4" metal screen just wondering if there is a certain % loss?

T5Ho 48" arcadia 12% single reflector thru 1/4" metal screen just wondering if there is a certain % loss?

There is loss -- but how much --you will need a Solarmeter to tell. @Beman might have some info on this loss as that bad mama has one!

As for your first question -- yes wrapping the cage will help contain humidity-- but you must be pumping in humidity to be contained via fogging, cool mist humidifying or misting.

There is loss -- but how much --you will need a Solarmeter to tell. @Beman might have some info on this loss as that bad mama has one!

As for your first question -- yes wrapping the cage will help contain humidity-- but you must be pumping in humidity to be contained via fogging, cool mist humidifying or misting.
Thanks for the reply, guess there are too many variables to have a simple answer. Plan on getting a solarmeter but right now my pockets don't go that deep.

1/4 inch screen is a lot different from what is used on your common chameleon cage such as reptibreeze or any others with the same type of screen. Your 1/4 gap is nothing compared to that and for this I would say your not going to loose much uvb.

1/4 inch screen is a lot different from what is used on your common chameleon cage such as reptibreeze or any others with the same type of screen. Your 1/4 gap is nothing compared to that and for this I would say your not going to loose much uvb.
Kind of what I was thinking but wanted others opinion. Yeah I built a custom cage and had problems containing small crickets in free range when he was young but now that he gets larger feeders it's no problem. Thanks for your input

@Tony_S is right on here.... Unless you can mimic to the exact another persons set up from fixture type, bulb type, cage manufacturer, basking height and placement you will not have an exact. I know there is a 30-40% loss through standard screen. So your not going to get those high percentages through the 1/4 inch. Your not going to lose much at all. This is where having a solarmeter is priceless IMO. Otherwise it is a total guessing game. I can give you examples based on what I have and what I have tested mine on but it would never give anyone real numbers. I honestly would not feel comfortable telling you what height your basking should be at. I can tell you that mine is a standard screen Dragon strand cage with a quad single reflector and a 12% bulb. My basking sits at 7-8 inches and he gets a 3-4 UVI on his back. NOW this is where it gets tricky... You should not use a 12% in a single or dual fixture and never in a quad with individual reflectors at these distances because you will over radiate... And then you can further guess because I have the 30-40% loss from the screen that you will not have. So you can attempt to try to guess. But UVI drops fast as you move away from the light. I was honestly shocked when I tested his entire cage top to bottom. This is where guessing gets dangerous. Too close and you over radiate which can cause health issues and too far way you risk MBD from lack of proper lighting.

I know this does not specifically help you. But what I would suggest is trying to find someone that has a solarmeter near you that you can use or break down and buy one. In my opinion these are just as necessary for a keeper as any other piece of their husbandry that we say is so very important. :)

@Tony_S is right on here.... Unless you can mimic to the exact another persons set up from fixture type, bulb type, cage manufacturer, basking height and placement you will not have an exact. I know there is a 30-40% loss through standard screen. So your not going to get those high percentages through the 1/4 inch. Your not going to lose much at all. This is where having a solarmeter is priceless IMO. Otherwise it is a total guessing game. I can give you examples based on what I have and what I have tested mine on but it would never give anyone real numbers. I honestly would not feel comfortable telling you what height your basking should be at. I can tell you that mine is a standard screen Dragon strand cage with a quad single reflector and a 12% bulb. My basking sits at 7-8 inches and he gets a 3-4 UVI on his back. NOW this is where it gets tricky... You should not use a 12% in a single or dual fixture and never in a quad with individual reflectors at these distances because you will over radiate... And then you can further guess because I have the 30-40% loss from the screen that you will not have. So you can attempt to try to guess. But UVI drops fast as you move away from the light. I was honestly shocked when I tested his entire cage top to bottom. This is where guessing gets dangerous. Too close and you over radiate which can cause health issues and too far way you risk MBD from lack of proper lighting.

I know this does not specifically help you. But what I would suggest is trying to find someone that has a solarmeter near you that you can use or break down and buy one. In my opinion these are just as necessary for a keeper as any other piece of their husbandry that we say is so very important. :)
You are correct on the solarmeter.Guess i'll have to spring for one. Thanks for the info.I see there are many different models any recommendations as which one to use?

Last edited:
You are correct on the solarmeter.Guess i'll have to spring for one. Thanks for the info.I see there are many different models any recommendations as which one to use?
So it is the solarmeter 6.5 you want to get. I know they were on sale on amazon not sure if they still are. :)

So it is the solarmeter 6.5 you want to get. I know they were on sale on amazon not sure if they still are. :)
Thanks again,I'll check it out. Now that I think about it I am pretty sure I asked about the 12% bulb and given the hight of my enclosure (72") I was told by someone on the forum that it would be ok? Maybe I'm mistaken.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom