Night Light For Vieled Chameleons?

SilentNinja

Well I was wondering if a Exo Terra Night-Glo Moonlight A19 Lamp could be used as a night light, I'm hearing that I shouldn't use this as a night light I'm want to know EXACT reason why. Since it simulates the dark w/ the moon, (I thought it would not be a problem) I've also read it should be total darkness, seeing how this is not totally true in the wild because of the move producing light.

Attachments

• night bulb.jpg
    night bulb.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Ummm, no.

Chameleons have been shown to *probably* see more of the UV and infared scale of colors than we can. This means they CAN see the night colors, black, blue, red, etc "lights" when TRYING to sleep.

They need darkness to sleep.

Yes, there are stars, the moon, etc, in the wild, but the lights disturb them while sleeping.

You should never use a night light. It is a common misconception that they are needed and *everyone* will recommend against them.

If your chameleon is too cold at night, use a ceramic heat emitter (loowwwww heat ones though).

:) Do not use a night light period. Others will also say that.

and no, it does *not* "simulate the moon/night" since it *is* putting out light that the chameleon *can* see.

what he said up there.
Cams need complete darkness at night to sleep. I have to cover my cage or my guy wont sleep while im awake, even with my room lights off, because my laptop light disturbs him as well. My guy is only with arthritis and an infection so we have to keep his heat up constantly so we have a ceramic bulb on constantly(24/7) to help him out. If heat is a problem for you go for a ceramic bulb, dont waste your money on this night bulb because I can pretty much guarantee your cham wont sleep with it on.

Unless your home is getting extremely cold at night, they need the cool down time. The fluctuation in temperatures is good for them. So unless your home is getting below 60 at night you do not need to have the heat light on at night. Over heating and not giving them the time to cool down like they would at night in the wild is just as bad as not giving the the heat during the day. as far as the light..if you are just wanting to be able to see them at night then you might just try it but keep it high enough off the cage so that they wont get the heat and give them at least one dark spot they can go that will not have the light on them. (use leafy foliage to create a canopy of darkness in one area.) then just watch your cham see if their mood or behavior changes, if not you might get by that way. I stress the word might, just like with humans we need our good sleep and if we don't get it it can cause all kinds of health problems.

Back
Top Bottom