Nieces chameleon died and I want to know what came out of her? Doesn’t look right

Whitann

Hi, my nieces female chameleon Penelope just died. She’s completely heartbroken by it and we just buried her today. She got her for her 14th birthday in December, she was a baby so she still had a long life to live. My niece never cleaned her cage and I would always tell her to because I read they like clean environments and it could make them sick living in a dirty cage and can cause stress, but she never did and she broke her wrist so the past 8 weeks she hasn’t been able to, but she knew she was going to have clean it. Well, she died yesterday. She wasn’t eating much before and my niece noticed stuff coming out of her. I saw it too. There’s like a tannish stringy thing, black stringy thing and like a ball of something. It looks like an organ to me. It’s stressing me out wondering what it could be. I was in denial about her being dead, but once I saw her I knew. She was turning black, her mouth was really black and her stomach was like deflated when it was always very round and plump. Could anyone tell me what came out of her? Thank you for reading.

Attachments

• 707027BB-5196-4FC3-A36B-1DB114F56086.jpeg
    707027BB-5196-4FC3-A36B-1DB114F56086.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 252
  • 9C5238CE-922B-4654-9092-C57D609B769E.jpeg
    9C5238CE-922B-4654-9092-C57D609B769E.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 240
Sorry for the loss.
The chameleon has prolapsed and was very dehydrated.
How did she provide water for it? How often?
What did she feed it?
How much and how often?
Did she use supplement? Feed the insects?
What were the temperatures in the cage?

Sorry for the loss.
The chameleon has prolapsed and was very dehydrated.
How did she provide water for it? How often?
What did she feed it?
How much and how often?
Did she use supplement? Feed the insects?
What were the temperatures in the cage?
Thank you for your response. Prolapsed? What does that mean exactly? My niece sprayed her artificial plants with water once or twice a day. She fed her worms, sometimes she ate a lot of worms. I had her at my house for a few days about three months ago and she ate six worms one night. She could eat a lot and were worried about over feeding. She had two lights, the temperature was in the 80’s I think. She didn’t use any vitamins. She did feed her crickets and roaches at first, until running out but didn’t buy anymore. So she just would feed her worms.

you said..."Thank you for your response"...you're welcome.

You said..."Prolapsed? What does that mean exactly?"...part of its intestines or other organs have come out from inside.

You said..."My niece sprayed her artificial plants with water once or twice a day"...there should be no artificial plants in a veiled chameleons cage. Injection can cause an impaction. Veileds ingest vegetation.

You said..."She fed her worms, sometimes she ate a lot of worms. I had her at my house for a few days about three months ago and she ate six worms one night. She could eat a lot and were worried about over feeding"...mealworms? If so, not the best choice of food. They should have been fed well to make sure the chameleon gets healthy food and they should be dusted with proper supplements to prevent th chameleon from developing health issues such as MBD, etc.

You said..."She had two lights, the temperature was in the 80’s I think"...one should have been a reptisun 5.0 long linear tube UVB light or an Arcadia 6% not a compact UVB....and the other should have been a white light.

You said..."She didn’t use any vitamins"... There should have been a phos free calcium powder, phos free calcium/D3 powder and a vitamin powder with a preformed source of vitmainA.

Chameleons also shouldn’t be fed at night. If you want her to fill out a husbandry form so she/you gets correct info and feedback, let us know!

Here's the form that you should fill out.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hi, my nieces female chameleon Penelope just died. She’s completely heartbroken by it and we just buried her today. She got her for her 14th birthday in December, she was a baby so she still had a long life to live. My niece never cleaned her cage and I would always tell her to because I read they like clean environments and it could make them sick living in a dirty cage and can cause stress, but she never did and she broke her wrist so the past 8 weeks she hasn’t been able to, but she knew she was going to have clean it. Well, she died yesterday. She wasn’t eating much before and my niece noticed stuff coming out of her. I saw it too. There’s like a tannish stringy thing, black stringy thing and like a ball of something. It looks like an organ to me. It’s stressing me out wondering what it could be. I was in denial about her being dead, but once I saw her I knew. She was turning black, her mouth was really black and her stomach was like deflated when it was always very round and plump. Could anyone tell me what came out of her? Thank you for reading.
Aww. Sorry for your loss. It looks like your lil guy prolapsed.

I dont think your niece should get another chameleon. She cannot take care of one. Until she has her own money to properly care for an ani.al as delicate and complicated as a chameleon, stick to something waaay less expensive and exotic

I dont think your niece should get another chameleon. She cannot take care of one. Until she has her own money to properly care for an ani.al as delicate and complicated as a chameleon, stick to something waaay less expensive and exotic
I agree! A chameleon isn’t for a child they are a lot of work and a lot of attention to them often. My Lily is my world and I couldn’t imagine how that little guy slowly died from lack of water and nutrients, it’s sad 😞

Back
Top Bottom