newborn jacksons

sandiegolu

well mY female gave birth to a clutch of 10 but only 6 made it, my cage for them is about 16x16x30 i have a live plant in there so i can keep the humidity up i just added about 20 pin head crickets with them, 2 of them have explored the cage and the other 4 stay on the top screen should i worry about the 4? its a all screen cage.

Congratulations!! :D

Being babies, they will climb in places that will puzzle and cunfuzzle you :)

20 pinheads is probably what each of those guys should be eating per day. If buying crickets all the time is too expensive, you can always breed your own.

Imo, they should be seperated from either parent. Cricks are high in phosphorus and a poor feeder especially for neonates. Would recomend a petstore melongaster culture fo the immediate and immediatley ordering a " producing hydei culture." Probably a good time to get a mantis egg case if you can. If you can find one locally at a garden shop,You can probably get it to hatch in less than 5-10 days@ 88* might also be a good time to start attracting wild ffs. I would avoid any supps other than plain cal for at least a few weeks. Jmo
Ps hope it goes well, can be an exciting time.
Would also like to say not to let the event overshadow care of the mom. Serious metabolic issues often follow a xanth birth and she will need extra care and observation for the next month. Imo, feed and supp sparingly, hydrate heavily. Jmo

Last edited:
im in san diego and right now no pet store has fruit flies because of our heat wave so i had to get pin heads but a mantis egg??

im in san diego and right now no pet store has fruit flies because of our heat wave so i had to get pin heads but a mantis egg??

Garden stores and grow shops often have mantis egg cases usually 5-7$, but they are usually out by late spring / mid summer.they will usually hatch from 100-300 smaller than mosquito size mantids, which are a great early feeder. If you can't find one locally they are all over online, but usualy start becoming unavailable sept- jan.just google ooth or ootheca you could als try mantidplace.com or the classifieds of mantidforum.net.
There are pics of one in my cf public album.
Still stuck posting from my phone, which is a real pain, but if you are feeling you stil need some help you are welcome to call, just pm and I Will send you my ph#
Ther are no hrs here in jharkendar so you are welcome to call whenever
My local hardware store had mantis egg cases as recently as 2 weeks ago, so it still might be worth calling around.

Last edited:
congrats! sorry about the 4...i lost 5 out of my 21 Jackson babies, but the sweet 16 is looking fairly strong at this point and it's been over a month! :)

well i was able to get some fruit flies and put them in the cage and it looks like they are eating all of them, as for the 4 that didnt make it 3 of them died but my wife opened one sack and it wasnt breathing so she gently pet it a couple times and it started breathing so she gave it small drops of water and it stayed breathing so for the day she just gently pet it and now it moves but is still weak so we are hopeing it makes it

Back
Top Bottom