Newbie questions about keeping multiple animals in same viv/terrarium.

SchizoHammer

Hi.

I am new to the world of vivariums and terrariums although I have done a lot of reading...
I have an initial question which will affect my starting choices of housing... would it be OK to keep 2-4 Red Eyed Crocodile Skinks in the same housing as a single Chameleon?

Environment:
I plan on a large wooden enclosure with glass doors (86.2 x 49 x 91.5cm) such as the
Vivexotic Viva+ Arboreal (linked at bottom). I will create a small pool 35 x 20cm and 10 cm deep with adequate climbing out stones or logs for the Skinks to swim as well as plenty of hiding spaces around the ground level. The enclosure will be heavily planted with plenty of foliage and climbing for the Chameleon in the upper half while leaving enough floor space for the Skinks to walk around.

Temps and humidity requirements seem to be close enough for each to be comfortable as is diet and I can manage the differences, so I am really asking about temperament and the likelihood of aggressive behaviour from one species to the other.

This is not going to be a rush job and I will build and set up the enclosure and it's environment for a couple of months to let the plants establish themselves, for me to sort out any lighting/heating/humidity issues.

Ideas and opinions much appreciated.

Vivexotic Viva+ Arboreal
https://www.exotic-pets.co.uk/vivexotic-viva-arboreal.html

I am assuming a Panther or Veild? You do know that either one of these species will eat small reptiles right? I googled and they said those particular Skinks get around 3-5 inches. Even if they technically could not swallow them, they certainly could try and cause injury. Now turning the tables, if the Skinks are larger than the chameleon at some point they may scare the chameleon thinking that they may fall prey. Chameleons get very easily stressed out from other animals and also objects. The color of your nail polish can startle them. As a rule, they are really a solitary creature. I would just house the two species in seperate enclosures.

Yeah, I think there are too many factors at risk vs the reward of having a viv with multiple species. I'd say just keep the cham on its own.

This might be a satisfying solution use separate cages but set them up to look continuous. Making the branches appear to run all the way thru creates the illusion of one cage safely. This is not my picture but came from the enclosure thread.
23161-1379956620-f494145ee2ee27072ad2fc8d4abf0b7d.jpg

Even if you take the chameleon out of the mixture I don't think you can have two male skinks in the same cage either. There are very few lizards where makes will get along. They compete for the females. If you take the chameleon out of the mixture the cage doesn't need to be tall either because crocodile skinks aren't really climbers. They are not an easy skinks to keep either BTW.

Back
Top Bottom