newbie Question

snipeusa14

Established Member
I have a tamatave panther chameleon that i want to breed does is matter is i get ambilobe or nosy be female to breed with him or does it have to be a tamatave panther?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Attachments

• Rango 001.jpg
    Rango 001.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 95
crossing locales

I asked this question also and basically most don't really care for the idea because eventually it will be harder to get true pure chams of a locale. ultimately its up to you if you want to cross breed or not.

I have a tamatave panther chameleon that i want to breed does is matter is i get ambilobe or nosy be female to breed with him or does it have to be a tamatave panther?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Honestly if you are not properly educated on just raising the Cham, and different locales, breeding should be out of the question as you need to gain more knowledge about the species, and locales. That is however my personal opinion and not trying to make you feel stupid or small. Just think that breeding should be down the road. Hope you get better replies however and gd luck with your decision.

It's COMPLETELY up to you. I would take up Kansas's advice and enjoy him for a long while before you think about breeding. Take the time to learn everything you can.

But to help you out, here are pros and cons of cross breeding (this coming from a person that owns two crossed locales and has nothing against them):

- All the locales can be cross bred. There is nothing impeding this genetically - however, some people suggest that the farther away the two locales are in Madagascar, the weaker the offspring of that pairing can be. So sticking to what COULD presumably happen in the wild seems to be best.

- Pro is that you can mix the two you like the most and see what beautiful chameleons you create. They may have really spectacular coloration or be a little messy and less saturated, you really never know.

- Con: they can't be sold for as much as pure offspring, and might be harder to place.
- Con: You will have a hard time selling off the females, because females in general are usually less desirable.

So it's up to you, but keep in mind that there isn't as much demand for cross chameleons as for pures, so you run the risk of getting stuck with too many babies that don't have homes.

Back
Top Bottom