newbie question

im interested in purchasing a chameleon. Ive done my research and feel i am ready. That being said, asking questions can only help. My question for the forum is, Is it better to purchase a chameleon from a pet store (by me there are petland and petcos) or from an online seller?

Online breeder or other forum members is much much better. Depending on the species you want, I am sure there are members who have some available.

Its best to get one from a breeder if you can...only for the fact that for every poorly cared for Cham that you buy from a big box pet store another one gets put in its place....supply and demand....you have to watch also that its not coming with health problems from being improperly cared for in the pet store....

That being said, I got Loki (5.5 month old veiled Cham) from a small family run pet store by me and they have an awesome reptile room and great setups...and they really know their info.....but I have seen horrible looking chams in like Petsmart and those types of big petstore chains....I talked to a guy in petmart about how Loki is afraid of hornworms and he told me to cut one in half and smear it all over his face to get him to like the taste....ummmmmm how about NO lol....

Good luck :) you can check on here to...as there is a classified section for buying

thanks for the quick response. I feel like living in NYC, i won't be able to find breeders. Guess i have to take my time and look around.

Its best to get one from a breeder if you can...only for the fact that for every poorly cared for Cham that you buy from a big box pet store another one gets put in its place....supply and demand....you have to watch also that its not coming with health problems from being improperly cared for in the pet store....

That being said, I got Loki (5.5 month old veiled Cham) from a small family run pet store by me and they have an awesome reptile room and great setups...and they really know their info.....but I have seen horrible looking chams in like Petsmart and those types of big petstore chains....I talked to a guy in petmart about how Loki is afraid of hornworms and he told me to cut one in half and smear it all over his face to get him to like the taste....ummmmmm how about NO lol....

Good luck :) you can check on here to...as there is a classified section for buying

haha, this made me laugh. Thanks for posting this experience.

Maybe check for a reptile show In the area?? I got my panther at the last local show here from a good breeder... Just a thought ;)

As for mom and pop stores, its not looking good. The big chain stores are here. And even tho I'm in NYC, the city that never sleeps, its also the city that doesn't have reptile shows (to my knowledge).

Back
Top Bottom