Newbie need advice

One more question. We are supposed to administer the liquid calcium ev 8-12 hours 3x a day. I mean. Is it ok to wake the chameleon up to give it??????

When she's sitting in the hole don't take her out to give her calcium if you think she may be lying the eggs. I'm hoping she can still lay them.

She needs D3 from supplements and UVB to be ble to use the clcium...but D3 from supplements builds up in the cycle mind can cause health issues, so it's best for her to produce most it from her exposure to the UVB light or sunlight normally....but if she hasn't been getting any and because she's on the liquid calcium it wouldn't hurt to give her a bit of the supplement to make sure she has enough to use the calcium.

The liquid calcium should be ok to be given in the morning when she wakes up and just before she goes to bed and then half way in between to get the three doses in...but don't squirt it into her mouth...ease it in and be careful not to get it into her lungs...The opening is right at the front of the mouth.

Last edited:
Thought this may help.Red is trachea...blue is esophagus.
C1A2FC71-E320-401A-92B0-1762CED80072.jpeg

You give me too much credit! I know a thing or two but there's still so much to learn.
There’s always more to learn no matter how much one knows. Don’t sell yourself short. You have a wealth of knowledge and experience and you appear to always be seeking out more knowledge and understanding. As an added bonus to us, you are a patient and compassionate teacher. ? ? ?

There’s always more to learn no matter how much one knows. Don’t sell yourself short. You have a wealth of knowledge and experience and you appear to always be seeking out more knowledge and understanding. As an added bonus to us, you are a patient and compassionate teacher. ? ? ?
Thanks for you very kind words, you are very helpful and have learned so much so quickly...you help a lot of people on this forum with patience too!
This forum has lots of good people on it!

So....nothing new. The vet says it could take up to two months for her to lay her eggs since she didn't have a substrate before and may need time to get used to it/feel safe. He also says it is ok if she isn't eating. I guess reptiles can go quite a while without food. Water is needed though. I'm used to cats not reptiles so I'm still learning.

She still really can't climb or walk around although she seems to be trying to do that. I see her hanging onto a branch with her front legs. Is there a pic of a cage with a substrate in it. I'm just wondering if our setup should change and if that would make a difference. Not sure what I'm asking.

So....nothing new. The vet says it could take up to two months for her to lay her eggs since she didn't have a substrate before and may need time to get used to it/feel safe. He also says it is ok if she isn't eating. I guess reptiles can go quite a while without food. Water is needed though. I'm used to cats not reptiles so I'm still learning.

She still really can't climb or walk around although she seems to be trying to do that. I see her hanging onto a branch with her front legs. Is there a pic of a cage with a substrate in it. I'm just wondering if our setup should change and if that would make a difference. Not sure what I'm asking.
I had it all planned to become a crazy cat lady...now I’m turning into a crazy lizard lady. ? It is quite the learning curve! I would keep the lay bin just as it is. She could lay tomorrow or next month, so you want to be prepared. Keep an eye on her and if any signs of distress, get her back to the vet ASAP. If she manages to climb, but falls, you may need to put her in a ‘hospital bin‘ to keep her from getting hurt.
If you’re asking about having the entire bottom of your enclosure having substrate, that would need to be a bioactive set up, which you may want to look into doing after getting your girl thru this. It’s a lot more than just putting soil at the bottom.

Thank you. But I already was a crazy cat lady!!

I posted a pic of her in the cage earlier in the thread. Basically, right now it is a plastic tub filled with this substrate I bought (maybe it is bioactive as you mention). I don't know how moist it should be. I'm overthinking everything. I will leave everything as is and continue to hope for the best and hope it comes sooner than later!

Thank you. But I already was a crazy cat lady!!

I posted a pic of her in the cage earlier in the thread. Basically, right now it is a plastic tub filled with this substrate I bought (maybe it is bioactive as you mention). I don't know how moist it should be. I'm overthinking everything. I will leave everything as is and continue to hope for the best and hope it comes sooner than later!
You’ll need to keep the lay bin soil moist enough to hold a tunnel without collapsing. ?

Did you start her on the supplements I told you about? Is she taking the liquid calcium ok? Are you providing the proper UVB light at an acceptable distance? Are you feeding/gutloading the insects properly?

There really is no change. From what I've read it seems like this is MBD. I see it is quite serious. We are giving calcium drops every day, she refuses to eat. I think she needs more. help than we can give. She needs to be under the care of someone who knows what they are doing. We just don't have it down to an exact science and she needs more help I think. She really has limited to no use of hind legs. Are there people who will take a reptile like this and nurse a chameleon back to health.

There really is no change. From what I've read it seems like this is MBD. I see it is quite serious. We are giving calcium drops every day, she refuses to eat. I think she needs more. help than we can give. She needs to be under the care of someone who knows what they are doing. We just don't have it down to an exact science and she needs more help I think. She really has limited to no use of hind legs. Are there people who will take a reptile like this and nurse a chameleon back to health.
Sorry to hear it isn’t going so well. Perhaps there’s a reptile rescue in your area that can help. The only place that I’ve heard about is ...
DBA5FAF3-D439-49C2-8B88-54D8B78F0D99.jpeg
Perhaps if you can find a local rescue, they may be able to at least offer advice if not able to take and help your chameleon.

It's been a least four weeks since this all started....probably longer.

Been giving calcium every day. Still has not eaten. But -- NEWS FLASH -- we found one egg last night!!!!!!!!

Does a chameleon lay eggs all at once or over a period of time? If over a period of time, about how long can the process be?

Does the amount of warmth/light play a role? I worry she is not getting enough of either since she can't climb and is on the bottom of the cage in the nesting material. Yesterday my son took her outside in the sun for a bit and then last night an egg. Is this just a coincidence?

Trying to just leave her alone but geez....sure would like some more action. Any experience you have that you can share or advice on what we should/shouldn't do would really be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

P.S. after taking her out and looking more closely I just don't see any eggs. I see poop. Not sure how she can poop when she is not eating. : ( : (. :(

Just a little update and hoping to get a little advice. It's been well over a month since she has eaten anything. Today she at two crickets!!!!!! She seems stronger and eating seems like a positive as before she had no interest, but she is still wobbly.

But we have yet to see any eggs. Don't know what to do at this point. Any ideas what else we can do to encourage egg laying? If the temp is not right - can that prevent her from laying eggs. I'm concerned because she is essentially at bottom of cage on substrate for eggs laying and not that close to the lights. Her colors have been sort of brownish and now they are green again. Thoughts??

Back
Top Bottom