Newbie here

Jonesy22

Hello
I’m new here and will be soon getting a Juvenile Panther. Here is an enclosure I have while I look for a bigger and possible screened one. Will this work for the time being and what lighting would you recommend?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• F1FA683E-C7F3-4A17-AE9E-96AC70057AA5.jpeg
    F1FA683E-C7F3-4A17-AE9E-96AC70057AA5.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 43
Welcome to the forum!

How big is the cage? I don't see any vents in the front under the door...are there any?

The long linear 5.0 reptisun UVB tube light or the long linear Arcadia 6% UVB light are most often recommended.

Welcome, glass enclosures aren't necessarily a deal breaker. Most have specific ventilation in the design the question is does this one.
Is the top panel screen?
I notice a vent on the top right on the wall. Is that the only area for air to exchange?
Is there any venting on the door frame.

You might have very low airflow if any. Screen enclosure isn't always needed it depends a lot on your ambient weather and household conditions. Glass can be done when done right.

Hi and welcome! :) I’m so glad that you’re here and asking questions before getting your chameleon.
I won’t repeat the concerns voiced already about having adequate ventilation. Some use small muffin type fans on the top screen to draw air up and out. I’m not sure if that would work for this enclosure or not. The size isn’t bad, but for an adult chameleon you’ll be wanting a bit larger. The minimum standard is 2x2x4’ or equivalent. The ambient humidity levels of your location and inside your home will be your best determinIng factor of if glass, screen or a hybrid is the best enclosure to use. Panthers need a range of between 50-70% humidity during the day. Of course misting and live plants will increase humidity levels in the enclosure.
Regardless of what type of enclosure you have, a linear T5HO fixture with either ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb is what you’ll be needing. It will need to be as long as your enclosure is wide.
For the most current and accurate information on husbandry standards and so very much more, do check out https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ Of course, we love helping others here and answering questions…making sure you have the perfect set up so that you’ll enjoy many happy and healthy years with your chameleon. :)

Hello
I’m new here and will be soon getting a Juvenile Panther. Here is an enclosure I have while I look for a bigger and possible screened one. Will this work for the time being and what lighting would you recommend?

Thanks!!
Welcome to the forum.

Depending on where you live, a screened enclosure may or may not be the best option. For most of the U.S. & Canada, a hybrid enclosure will be much easier to maintain temperatures & humidity. In places like FL and some coastal areas where humidity & temps are higher year-round, an all-screen may work out better. This is an excellent hybrid enclosure:
https://www.zenhabitats.com/products/2x2x4-pvc-reptile-enclosure-1

For lighting, there are 3 types, which IMO should be considered separately (i.e. don't try to combine any in the same light).

UVB—As already mentioned, a Reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%—running full width of the enclosure.

Basking—mainly to provide heat during the day (No lights of any kind should be used at night).

Best bulbs for basking lights are (in order of preference):​
  1. Household incandescent bulb (not LED)
  2. Incandescent flood light (not LED and not spot light)
  3. Halogen flood light (not spot light)
A clamp light fixture works well for basking lights, as they're easily aimable.​
Basking lamps are best installed/mounted at an angle to produce a temperature gradient rather than a hot-spot.​

1642278351155.png
Plant light—Many folks here are opting for this Sansi 70W plant light. It can be used in your current enclosure, and in a 24" x 24" x 48"H enclosure. Sansi coupons

There may be more you'll need; you can find lists at https://caskabove.com/

I'll second the husbandry program and care sheet at Chameleon Academy.

Back
Top Bottom