Newbie here

Vitor Rocha

Just got a Veiled from Petsmart. Im fully aware that chameleons should be left alone after you buy them and I have followed all the instructions given from various books and websites.

This chameleon is about 4 or 5 months old. Pretty healthy.

I just want to know what I should expect from him in the next couple of days.

Just keep an eye on him. Make sure he gets misted and drinks water.

Gut load your feeders with veggies. Just keep doing as much research as you can. This forum is your best friend for cham knowledge :):D

Do your research. Make sure you have the right lighting and heating. That your providing the right feeder insects and that your gut loading them appropriately. As well as a good dusting regiment for your feeders.

Basking is a 75w bulb and temp is around 90. UVB is a 13w bulb.

I feed him crickets that have been dusted with D3 and calcium.

If it's a young veiled then I would lower the temperature in the basking area to the low 80's F.

It's recommended that you dust at most feedings with a phosphorous - free calcium powder to make up for the usually poor ratio of calcium to phosphorous found in most feeder insects.

It's also recommended that you dust twice a month with a phosphorous - free calcium D3 powder to ensure that it gets some D3 without overdosing it and leaving it to produce the rest from its exposure to the UVB.

It's recommended that you dust twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A. PrOformed sources of vitamin A cannot build up in the system and lead to health issues like prEformed sources can and this leaves it up to you to decide whether or not to provide a prEformed source.

It's important in addition to this to provide the appropriate temperatures to aid in proper digestion and thus indirectly in the nutrient absorption.

It's important to feed / gutload the insects properly with a wide assortment of greens such as collards, escarole, endive, dandelion greens, kale, etc and veggies such as carrots, sweet red pepper, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, etc.

Calcium, vitamin A, vitamin D3 and phosphorous are all important players in bone health and other things in the system and need to be in balance.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom