Newbie cage setup opinions

ChuckP

Hey guys I am brand new and I am getting my first chameleon on Saturday from the Orlando Repticon. I hope to get a panther if not I am going veiled. Here is my setup I have a 75w heat beam in the back, a mister mister, and a 18" 8.0 Reptisun light for UV. Is there anything else I am missing other than food/nutrients?

Thanx guys!

DSC_0135.JPG

DSC_0136.JPG

DSC_0137.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ChuckP, welcome to the Chameleon Forums :)

Great to see you have put a lot of thought into your setup before purchasing a cham. I see a humidifier box in one of your pics. Did you make that cage yourself? What is the humidity and temperature gradient? I would imagine the Orlando show will have a lot of nice chameleons to choose from.

Brad,

The humidifier is for my future project, I plan to setup a heavy humidity system so that it can come on shortly before the misting system, then shut off shortly after. To simulate rain in the rainforest with the heavy humidity. I bought the cage, but I am going to work on a new one and take my time to make it perfect, just need it a little higher. Thanx for the comments, also for food I was going to use tiny crickets and meal worms... both dusted.

-Chuck

Chuck,
Where'd you get the cage...I'm in the market for a new one pretty soon and have been shopping around. Thanks.

It was on the top shelf at Pet Supermarket, apparently someone around Florida makes them. They look pretty easy, just some wire mesh, nails and 1" staples. I took a cheap shower curtian from WalMart for $3 and stapled it to the back of the cage so my mister can spray from front to back without soaking the floor/wall.

-Chuck

Brad said:
Hi ChuckP, welcome to the Chameleon Forums :)

Great to see you have put a lot of thought into your setup before purchasing a cham. I see a humidifier box in one of your pics. Did you make that cage yourself? What is the humidity and temperature gradient? I would imagine the Orlando show will have a lot of nice chameleons to choose from.

Brad,

The temps are around 88-93 on the top most vine under the heat lamp, then it is around 75 at the bottom of the cage

my only suggestion...

I would place more plants on the bottom to increrase the foliage desity and it will help with humidity. You can also use some pothos vines (real or silk - I had both) hanging for him to climb around on, too.

Also, make sure there are no sharp edges from that wire mesh where it is stapled to the wood.

You said you were going to use tiny crickets aren't you worried that they will get out of the cage with that wide screening? Just worndering because I had a house full of crickets I finally found the small hole the had escaped from. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom