Newbie, a couple of questions

danmar26

A few questions regarding my baby veiled. I seem to be having a hard time keeping the humidity up. I live in N.J. and being in an all screen enclosure doesn't help. Any suggestions besides running a humidifier?

I'm not sure if I am using the right supplement to dust my crickets with. Right now I'm using Zoo Meds Reptivite with D3.

He seems to be doing well, but when you approach his cage he climbs to the highest branch and starts this side to side swaying motion. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

calcuim w/d3 should only be use 2-3 times a month you need calcium without d3 you should also be use multivitamins 2-3 times a month also. does he only do that when you get close to the cage? he's probably just trying to hide from you

Last edited:
Ok, you want to get some calcium without d3 and use that at every feeding and the calcium with d3 a couple a times a month along with a multivitamin twice a month also. Are you running a dripper in your cage? do you have live plants?. These two things can help with the humidity. If you are running a humidifier and still having difficulty, you could wrap a couple of the sides of the cage in plastic or saran.

I have been looking for a small ficus plant but they are tough to find this time of year. I do have a dripper hooked up. I was thinking of adding a large sponge to the bottom of the enclosure and setting the drip a bit faster. Any thoughts on this?

I use a shallow tupperware container to catch the excess water. I think a sponge would tend to get moldy unless you were ringing it out all the time. I mean I guess you could. If you go with the container, just make sure it is very shallow(and yes, it will fill up and have to be emptied of course) so if you cham fell into it or something it could get out easily. What is your humidity anyways? You said you have a humidifier and are still have trouble huh?

I'm also having a problem with the humidity. RIght now i have an umbrella tree in there with a dripper going. I have a little moss in the back corner covered by leaves off the umbrella tree and fake leaves. I've been thinking of getting a pothos and using only water with it because they grow just as well with water instead of soil. With a mesh cage it's hard to keep up humidity unless my whole room is very humid. The humidity won't go above 30 with me constantly misting and the dripper. I haven't got the cham yet, i'm trying to get this cage right!:mad:

Wrap 3 sides of the cage in a shower curtain or plastic wrap, we were having a huge humidity problem also and that seemed to help. Also we have a room humidified that helps keep the humidity up in the whole room.

Thanks for the suggestions. My humidity is also a steady 30. It spikes after misting. I am going to try wrapping 3 sides with plastic. I am hestitant to run a humidifier in the room because I have some electronics in it.

A few questions regarding my baby veiled. I seem to be having a hard time keeping the humidity up. I live in N.J. and being in an all screen enclosure doesn't help. Any suggestions besides running a humidifier?

I'm not sure if I am using the right supplement to dust my crickets with. Right now I'm using Zoo Meds Reptivite with D3.

He seems to be doing well, but when you approach his cage he climbs to the highest branch and starts this side to side swaying motion. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.
what is your humidity now, i ran my chameleon rooms at 45 to 70 percent with no trouble it was in the lower numbers more the higher. to much moisture is worse then not enough. and as far as dusting powder if your cham is strictly indoors dust your crickets 2 to 3 times a week I did one week 2 times and the next week I did 3 times a week and so on. Just make sure to feed your crickets healthy and you will be feeding your cham a healthy diet. if you buy your cricks from a pet shop feed them some kale and other vegies a hour or so before they become the food...

Thanks in advance.
BTW He is rocking to tell you to back off and intimidate you and yes they can do that alot depending on how nice your cham is

Back
Top Bottom