New

Leroux2008

I forgot to post the other day.......

I FINALLY got CRICKET BABIES!!!! Yay.... after going through SEVERAL different adult cricket batches...... I have little tiny crickets.... I mean... no telling how long they been there they are SOOO hard to see.

How do I go about keeping the soil moist without killing them?

You can take a sheet or two of paper towel and thoroughly soak it. Wring a little of the water out, but not too much. I used to do this and it works O.K. The only drawback is you have to make sure it doesn't dry out. I would soak mine in the morning before work and sometimes it would be almost dry by the time I got home. I now make watering stations out of 2 empty water or coke bottles.

You can take a sheet or two of paper towel and thoroughly soak it. Wring a little of the water out, but not too much. I used to do this and it works O.K. The only drawback is you have to make sure it doesn't dry out. I would soak mine in the morning before work and sometimes it would be almost dry by the time I got home. I now make watering stations out of 2 empty water or coke bottles.

I do already keep a moist paper towel in there.... just I have them all in one bin... kinda with the adults 0.0 so the adults are laying eggs again and I was trying to keep the soil moist so the other eggs can hatch eventually... but.... I think I might just need toseperate the adults into another container ... im afraid the big ones will most likely eat the little ones.. I mean they dont have a problem with eating each other if in the way lol

Yeah, they will definitely eat the younger ones if given a chance. In my experience, it's very hard or nearly impossible to seperate them since they are so tiny. One thing you can do, is ball up a few pieces of dry newspaper. The tiny crickets will be able to crawl deep into the crevices. Every once in awhile, you can gently pick it up and tap it or unwad it over another container and they will fall into it. You won't get them all of course, but you will get the majority of them. In the future, I would suggest that you place some sandwich sized deli cups or containers with your damp soil in with your adult crickets and remove them after about 3 days. That way you can just hatch the babies in a seperate container than your adults.

ya That was the first way I read about it .... was using the delicup... but In my mind I was thinking if I use the whole container I will get more babies and not have to worry about the steps... little was I thinking.... little babies = food. XD I could just take the bigger ones out and put them in a seperate container. I dont buy that many at a time so it wont be a problem.... Ill start just using a deli dish. Could be why I havnt seen any babies until now... it could be because they were eating them -_-

I keep adults still in with babies, and locusts too. If you have enough good cricket food and enough cover for them there is no reason why babies would get eaten. I get plenty using my method, but maybe I do lose a few........

Back
Top Bottom