New Yemen Cham not eating and pawing at glass

BAD31841-8972-4D59-A216-0EEBE4FBBC14-20248-000014617F17B3C6_zps258087ae.jpg

I have out more horizontal pathways in now with use of the exoterra vine and will make small changes with the small branches I have once he's got used to this new vine in his cage,
Being a new owner I'm a just nervous about monitoring his behaviour to make sure he's settling in and is healthy.
My main concern, as I have seen him eating now as soon as we put food in he will eat them all up, is that he stays hydrated because I know this can be a major problem.
What is 'normal' behaviour during the day for young veiled chams,I know they are all different, but just as a base line of knowledge as, like I said, it's very nerve racking for the first few days an weeks as I make all these little changes to keep him happy and healthy

For those who mentioned about the droppings
There are two in the picture
One from the two days ago, one from yesterday or today
I know the first is quite yellow, but the second is whiter, is it ideal? Or still in a danger zone
6E9660EA-EF09-4925-AA07-8247D88AF398-20539-0000147BDD04FAD7_zpsc90f5f54.jpg

That is very very much still in the danger zone. You need make sure he's drinking the next few days and that you see him doing so. If you go to a supermarket and go to the pharmacy they will give you a free syringe most times (without the needle) and you can fill it full of water and hold your Cham and let some drip off the end of the nose(One small drip at a time)

Thank you, I have seen him drinking from both the leaves and from the dish I put salad in where water will collect (I empty it out daily to avoid the water getting too deep or stale)
The second is whiter and hopefully will continue to get whiter, I will get a syringe or pipette if his next dropping is still too yellow
Thank you

His urates do show him to be a bit dehydrated. Spraying him down twice a day will provide water but a dripper system is a good idea. One reason I do not like exo terra cages is the lack of drainage making it easy for water to build up.

The bark chips at the bottom do need to be removed though so he cannot eat them. They can easily mold too as they get wet often.

Tesco, homebase and B&Q will all have small umbrella or ficus plants that are good for him. I get a lot of them from sainsburys. Here is a few pictures of good ones for their cages
Ficus
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=f...rello%2FPOW%2Fvariegated_plants.htm;1600;1200
Umbrella plant
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=f...lant-with-19cm-pot%2Finvt%2Flg00013;1000;1000

Sorry if someone else has said this but - you need to add more live plants with large leaves, try using zillas tropical mist in the cage too, LIGHTLY spray a bit on the plant leaves. This will help the water bead up nicely as well so your Cham will have easy access to water. A lot of chams do not like drippers and prefer drinking from leaves. My veiled was like this for a long time and I struggled to get him to drink the right amount- even with perfect himdity and live plants. I changed to a bigger enclosure so I could fit in a bigger plant with bigger leaves and since then his urates are very long and pure white. Before it was a hit and miss, some were pure white some very slightly yellow which isn't the worst but I take dehydration very serious.

Ill get a live plant as soon as I can, the green fake vine like plant holds water droplets quite well, but he doesn't seem interested in them at all. As I mentioned he does drink from the water collecting In the bowl which is quite odd, hopefully he will take to drinking from droplets in the plants too.
I would like his urates to be more white than they are and as before, when he needs a bigger cage- which I expect won't be too long if his growth goes as expected- we won't be using glass or substrate although a complete screen cage would be far too cold in my area and house in the winter , so I'm already looking at options
Hopefully as he eats his hydration will also improve a little from water in the insects and salad, even if it is just a little from that.
I know I keep saying thank you, but all this advice is very much appreciated
I'm not quite panicking as his urates are not orange, however I understand the yellow - even in the improved second droppin, is far from ideal

Ill get a live plant as soon as I can, the green fake vine like plant holds water droplets quite well, but he doesn't seem interested in them at all. As I mentioned he does drink from the water collecting In the bowl which is quite odd, hopefully he will take to drinking from droplets in the plants too.
I would like his urates to be more white than they are and as before, when he needs a bigger cage- which I expect won't be too long if his growth goes as expected- we won't be using glass or substrate although a complete screen cage would be far too cold in my area and house in the winter , so I'm already looking at options
Hopefully as he eats his hydration will also improve a little from water in the insects and salad, even if it is just a little from that.
I know I keep saying thank you, but all this advice is very much appreciated
I'm not quite panicking as his urates are not orange, however I understand the yellow - even in the improved second droppin, is far from ideal

You need to remove that bowl and not allow the drinking.The bacteria that can breed in standing water will make him very ill.

I shall do that straight away,
However he hasn't been drinking much from plants, any tips?
Also his dropping today, the urate was still as yellow as before but we are misting for longer periods of time . More unusual his poo part of the dropping was slightly runny or soft, is this because it was fresh and hasn't had time to dry out like the others in the heat? Or is this a troubling sign
It wasn't completely runny just in comparison to the previous two sample it's looked softer,

I'm still wery new to this but I have read that people will give them a shower for a period if time. Put him on a plant and stand it in there and spray the shower head against the wall so it bounces off over the plant. Sometimes it will kick start his instinct to start drinking from the spray and water collecting on the plant. This is just stuff I read and haven't tried it as mine is very white. I'm sure the more experienced members on the forum can clarify this for you

Help

This is his most recent droppings
There are multiple 'poos' but do they look right? I'm concerned that they are too 'runny' or 'soft'
Secondly the urate is still quite yellow despite seeing him drink, is it because he's not drinking enough still,
072EA518-FF6F-48A2-9CEE-7D35166475E9-23568-0000174BAA6D8A03_zps46978935.jpg

Back
Top Bottom