New with questions :)

Update:

She’s doing fine. We think she’s having issues with her eyes.... but she’s lovey again with me. Our connection is strange ☺️

Attachments

• 7C65921E-8D31-41DA-9F0C-E174253E73B9.jpeg
    7C65921E-8D31-41DA-9F0C-E174253E73B9.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 131
Why do you think she's having eye issues? Are they sunken? Is she rubbing them? Could be debris in them, could be dehydration, or it coud be a vitamin deficiency. Also, poor UVB lighting can aggravate the eyes. Do you have a linear fluorescent light? Is it a reptisun or Arcadia? Some UVB bulbs suck. Also, the compact fluorescent UVB lights were known to cause eye issues sometime back. The problem is supposed to have been fixed, but the linear UVB lights have become the trusted standard. I'd still get her into the vet for a positive diagnosis if I were you. Good luck!

Why do you think she's having eye issues? Are they sunken? Is she rubbing them? Could be debris in them, could be dehydration, or it coud be a vitamin deficiency. Also, poor UVB lighting can aggravate the eyes. Do you have a linear fluorescent light? Is it a reptisun or Arcadia? Some UVB bulbs suck. Also, the compact fluorescent UVB lights were known to cause eye issues sometime back. The problem is supposed to have been fixed, but the linear UVB lights have become the trusted standard. I'd still get her into the vet for a positive diagnosis if I were you. Good luck!

Yeah- I’ve got a standard UVB light that isn’t linear.

We think she has eye issues because she seems to struggle to grab vines/snatch up crickets. Also, she misses a lot! Before, her tongue would reach much further, but now in only goes a few inches.

She now has a laying bin at the bottom and a feeding container- which hopefully makes it easier to spot the crickets. There’s a screen at the bottom so we can still mist her habitat and the water will drain and not collect in it/drown crickets.

Attachments

• 070863EE-8E1E-4A7E-8722-4CF3315FBCFD.jpeg
    070863EE-8E1E-4A7E-8722-4CF3315FBCFD.jpeg
    309.7 KB · Views: 123
Second picture was from last weekend- she was rolling her eye... really freaked me out. We upped the misting and dusted the crickets with multivitamin that contained vitamin a.

First photo was 2 days ago. She was shedding her skin before too, and I’m wondering if the debris was just a flake of the dead skin... she’d scratch her eye with her back leg, kind of like a dog.

Aside from the suspected eye issues, she seems much better since she started shedding and got the skin off.

Right now the trip to the vet is kinda postponed, my dad isn’t doing very well and I’ve really got my hands full. Early onset Alzheimer’s, and it’s progressing a lot faster than any of us expected, including his doctors.

Attachments

• 7A9ED0C2-B2BE-4772-81A2-26206A08BF89.jpeg
    7A9ED0C2-B2BE-4772-81A2-26206A08BF89.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 9BF7115A-2C6D-4075-BD72-4965899BD8E6.jpeg
    9BF7115A-2C6D-4075-BD72-4965899BD8E6.jpeg
    235.3 KB · Views: 127
Update: little to no movement today. She actually climbed into feeding container... and the crickets escaped it. Taking her to Reptile & Exotic Pet Hospital tomorrow.

How does the vet know? Was a fecal done?

Yeah, i told my boyfriend to make sure he brought a fecal sample with him. They didn’t want to do a blood test because she’s so little... she’s got a follow up in a few weeks, if parasites are still present/symptoms haven’t improved, they’ll do a blood test then.

Glad to hear shes getting help. Great job getting her to a vet. So many new owners wait until its way too late to make a full recovery. Good luck!

Glad to hear shes getting help. Great job getting her to a vet. So many new owners wait until its way too late to make a full recovery. Good luck!

Yep! She was checked for eggs and is in the clear. Vet says she’s about 5-6 months old, and it appears that we cought the parasite problem early on.

They highly recommended feeding Dubia Roaches because their calcium to phosphorus ratio is much better (crickets 13:1 ; dubias 3:1). The dubias we got from the reptile store were freaking huge though! She stopped eating them, I sort of assumed it was because it hurt her mouth. Any tips on finding smaller ones?

Parasites came from something she’s been eating, I’m thinking it was that stupid fly she snatched up from a while ago. Maybe not. Either way we’re not buying anymore crickets from petsmart, work on getting her to eat the Dubia roaches, and replace the laying bin in case she decided to fertilize the soil with her parasitic poop. ;)

Your best bet is to start a colony of dubia or Orang head roaches. They breed well, dont smell bad, and are far superior to crickets. That way you will also always have the appropriate size.

In case anyone is interested in specifics (like my nerdy/OCD self), I’m attaching a photo of Pascal’s exam/findings/treatment rendered.

Turns out, it was more than likely the waterfall after all!

You guys are more than welcome to use any bit of this thread to inform other chameleon owners how dangerous the waterfalls are.

My next goal is to figure out how the parasites got into the waterfall in the first place... not sure if they can grow from just bacteria alone.

Attachments

• DBA5C760-97AC-44BA-8B25-FCBB0712E69B.jpeg
    DBA5C760-97AC-44BA-8B25-FCBB0712E69B.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 105
Your cham probaby had a small parasite load already, but when poop got into the waterfall, he ingested all the parasite eggs. This would cause his parasite load to climb drastically wich led to the downturn in his health.

Update: She seems better as far as energy goes. However, we’ve been hand feeding her for weeks. She doesn’t seem to be able to “hunt” and doesn’t extend her tongue at all. I was told that reptiles recover very slowly. Just worried, I hope we don’t have to feed her like this forever. Seems so pitiful, and I think she enjoyed hunting her food and catching them with her tongue.

Back
Top Bottom