New with questions :)

As a substitute for a laying bin, would a potted plant work? We placed one in the habitat that doesn’t require sunlight and can actually live in just water. Will she lay eggs in a potted plant/soil?

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned here but the lights can bother their eyes. What kind of UVB bulb do you have?

You said..."I tried real hard to fill out that help questionnaire between surgeries yesterday and it was just way too time consuming!"...
If you don't give us the information we need we have little hope of helping your chameleon

You said..."so she could be sleeping a lot because of egg bounding? I’m going to check that video out and make a laying bin regardless, but I just mentally want to connect some dots here. I’m really worried about this tiny creature that’s breaking my heart right now" and "As a substitute for a laying bin, would a potted plant work? We placed one in the habitat that doesn’t require sunlight and can actually live in just water. Will she lay eggs in a potted plant/soil?"....is it a female for sure?? If it is signs of eggbinding are sitting low down in the cage, sleeping during the day, lethargy, not likely eating well, phantom laying, etc. If your heart is breaking then you must want to do the best you can to keep her well...so although a planted pot might work it would be in her best interest to set up a proper egg laying bin, do the supplement properly and make sure her husbandry is the best you can provide for her.

You said..."I tried real hard to fill out that help questionnaire between surgeries yesterday and it was just way too time consuming!"...
If you don't give us the information we need we have little hope of helping your chameleon

You said..."so she could be sleeping a lot because of egg bounding? I’m going to check that video out and make a laying bin regardless, but I just mentally want to connect some dots here. I’m really worried about this tiny creature that’s breaking my heart right now" and "As a substitute for a laying bin, would a potted plant work? We placed one in the habitat that doesn’t require sunlight and can actually live in just water. Will she lay eggs in a potted plant/soil?"....is it a female for sure?? If it is signs of eggbinding are sitting low down in the cage, sleeping during the day, lethargy, not likely eating well, phantom laying, etc. If your heart is breaking then you must want to do the best you can to keep her well...so although a planted pot might work it would be in her best interest to set up a proper egg laying bin, do the supplement properly and make sure her husbandry is the best you can provide for her.

If you read ALL of my posts, you’ll find the answers to the questions in the questionnaire have been provided, just not in that format. I apologize, and had I seen it prior to writing my original post, I would have filled it out.

Now, if there’s something specific you feel like I’ve left out, please ask. :) I’m not sure if it’s a female or male, I got Pascal from petsmart- they didn’t know the age or sex. Aside from being lethargic, there are no other signs of egg binding... again, he/she is eating just fine and does not hang out at the bottom of the habitat. Contrarily, Pascal spends the majority of the time at the uppermost part of the cage where the lights/heat lamp is. We thought it was because he/she liked to be warm, but I’m not sure if this is more an instinctual characteristic of chameleons to hang out in high places and perhaps the heat lamp is too much. We moved the lights/lamp to the side of the cage and turn them off at night.

As far as being female or not, and setting up a laying bin without really knowing- this is definitely my best effort to do everything I can to help Pascal. Why? Because if it’s a female, it WILL NEED ONE, right? While I’m unsure, I feel like I’m using the “better safe than sorry” technique- why? Because I don’t think a male chameleon will necessarily be offended by an egg laying bin. My thought process with the potted plant was leaning more towards the possibility of a more natural looking bin... and as an added bonus- it’s already in there. ;)

Now that I feel like I’ve adequately defended myself and my efforts to provide the best husbandry for my little chameleon- hopefully we can go back to diagnosing the problem and coming up with a solution.

Update- still sleepy... here’s a picture of the back feet.

Attachments

• 1CD36BDD-C123-41C7-9A8B-2B2E266DBD16.jpeg
    1CD36BDD-C123-41C7-9A8B-2B2E266DBD16.jpeg
    280.3 KB · Views: 148
  • B1DD1179-5BBB-437D-8842-66E657BA8909.jpeg
    B1DD1179-5BBB-437D-8842-66E657BA8909.jpeg
    363.6 KB · Views: 129
If your cage temperatures during the day are in the mid 80's for a basking area temperature provided by a light (such as a regular incandescent household bulb) that is only on during the day and the temperature in the rest of the cage is in the mid to high 70's during the day and cooler at night (but not below 55F) and your chameleon has a UVB light (preferably a long linear Repti-sun 5.0) that is only on during the day and you are providing adequate water by misting and using a dripper for the proper length if time and you are providing well fed and gutloaded insects (fed/gutloaded as I mentioned) that have been dusted (as I already explained to you) and your chameleon (if it's female) has a proper place to lay the eggs and your chameleon is sleeping in the daytime when in the cage then your chameleon is sick and you need a vet to tell you what is wrong. If you have made changes to correct anything that wasn't done as I've just explained it then I would give it a few days to see if the changes have fixed the sleeping (when in the cage) in the daytime issue and if it's not solved then take it to a vet. Good luck with it!
Hope you can figure out if it's a male or female because it will make a difference in how your feeding and temperatures are done in the future.

How about this?

We put a laying bin in there yesterday and are trying to get to a vet today.

Thank you for all of your help!

Attachments

• 7220059A-94BA-41A9-B450-1165922C5915.png
    7220059A-94BA-41A9-B450-1165922C5915.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 146
Another suggestion I have is to stop handling her, you have not had her very long and acclimating is very stressful to begin with and handling her on top of that is super stressful. I would just mist and place food in her enclosure, keep to very minimal interaction.

How about this?

We put a laying bin in there yesterday and are trying to get to a vet today.

Thank you for all of your help!

Did you get her to the vet? If she is still sleepy, I highly suggest sooner then later, they go downhill very quickly.

No, unfortunately vets are closed until Monday. The town I live in is kind of small.

Ok, bummer I would definitely not handle her at all, if the laying bin is in the enclosure she will know what to do. We just got a new little one and when I am acclimating a new chameleon I don't even hang near their cage, they like their privacy to eat and drink. I don't even begin to try to gain their trust to be handled for a couple of months and then I go slow and try to hand feed first, patience is key. Stress can play a huge role on them.

Hopefully you can get in to the vets on Monday!

Ok, bummer I would definitely not handle her at all, if the laying bin is in the enclosure she will know what to do. We just got a new little one and when I am acclimating a new chameleon I don't even hang near their cage, they like their privacy to eat and drink. I don't even begin to try to gain their trust to be handled for a couple of months and then I go slow and try to hand feed first, patience is key. Stress can play a huge role on them.

Hopefully you can get in to the vets on Monday!

Yeah- thanks for the pointers. I haven’t held her since last weekend and that hasn’t shown to improve her lethargic behavior. Not to fear, my common sense tells me it’s still not a good idea to be handling her now. Since the laying bin was placed in there, we keep the habitat covered from the rest of the room, the side that isn’t covered faces the window so she still gets natural light- hoping to keep her internal clock on track.

I don’t know what the deal is, but I appreciate everyone’s help. Passing the torch to an educated veterinarian tomorrow. I’m looking forward to getting some answers. Seems like she’s too young to lay eggs, but without knowing her age..... just so frustrating. Seems like age and sex are two VERY IMPORTANT details to provide, its a pointless rant I suppose- but why in the world would petsmart NOT HAVE THIS INFORMATION?!?! Ridiculous.

Yeah- thanks for the pointers. I haven’t held her since last weekend and that hasn’t shown to improve her lethargic behavior. Not to fear, my common sense tells me it’s still not a good idea to be handling her now. Since the laying bin was placed in there, we keep the habitat covered from the rest of the room, the side that isn’t covered faces the window so she still gets natural light- hoping to keep her internal clock on track.

I don’t know what the deal is, but I appreciate everyone’s help. Passing the torch to an educated veterinarian tomorrow. I’m looking forward to getting some answers. Seems like she’s too young to lay eggs, but without knowing her age..... just so frustrating. Seems like age and sex are two VERY IMPORTANT details to provide, its a pointless rant I suppose- but why in the world would petsmart NOT HAVE THIS INFORMATION?!?! Ridiculous.

That is good you stopped holding her! Not holding her was not going to fix the problem she is already having, but it now won’t be making it worse. Just double checking you still have her lights on(basking/uvb) even with the enclosure covered?

Unfortunately big chain pet stores are in it for the money, not the animals. It is very sad:(

That is good you stopped holding her! Not holding her was not going to fix the problem she is already having, but it now won’t be making it worse. Just double checking you still have her lights on(basking/uvb) even with the enclosure covered?

Unfortunately big chain pet stores are in it for the money, not the animals. It is very sad:(

Yeah, we still keep those on during the day, it’s just covered to give her privacy. I was really worried this morning- my boyfriend placed her in the laying bin Friday night, and she literally did not move from the spot he placed her until this afternoon. She climbed out of it, took a huge poop and ate some crickets. This morning she wouldn’t eat. She seems to be improving which makes me feel A TINY BIT better. But I’m still very eager to bring her to a vet.

Yeah, we still keep those on during the day, it’s just covered to give her privacy. I was really worried this morning- my boyfriend placed her in the laying bin Friday night, and she literally did not move from the spot he placed her until this afternoon. She climbed out of it, took a huge poop and ate some crickets. This morning she wouldn’t eat. She seems to be improving which makes me feel A TINY BIT better. But I’m still very eager to bring her to a vet.

That is good the lights are still on!

Yes, the vet definitely needs to step in and help you out, good luck!!

Update:

We didn’t go to the vet, my boyfriends grandmother passed away Sunday night, so he’s out of town for the rest of the week for the funeral and to be with family. BUT, good news is that Pascal seems to be a lot better. Not sleeping anymore during the day, eating/drinking/pooping like normal and the laying bin is still in the habitat. Wish I knew what the problem was, but for now I’ll just have to keep a close eye on her. Hopefully I can take her to the vet Friday.

Back
Top Bottom