New Veiled owner

digitalbliss

IMG_2304.jpg

Just wanted to show this girl off. I got into reptiles shortly after meeting my wife and she's been great supporting me in the hobby. I've wanted a chameleon since the beginning but after reading the details of the in-depth care I felt it would be best to wait.
After a few years, I finally gave in and bought her.
I'm looking into re-doing her tank decorations already and adding more as she's been going to the bottom and walking on the ground now and again.

My basking temp is at 92 during the day, with a nice cool side as well.

I'm picking up a new UVB Bulb this week, as the day I brought her home mine blew.

Any opinions on how she's looking health-wise(even though It's only by a picture) would be appreciated.

She's already taken to eating the crickets and has pooped a few times, so I'm happy with that.

Well, truthfully, I think that you may want to take her to the vet for a check up. Her legs look a little bowed and this could be a sign of MBD. The walking on the ground is also a *little* odd (though not always cause for alarm). Does her casque (top of her head) feel rubbery/bendy? Is she shakey? Does she lift her belly completely up off of the branches as she moves about?

By "tank" are you meaning glass enclosure? Chameleons should be kept in all screen cages. They need a much larger amount of air flow than most reptiles and seeing themselves in the reflection in the glass causes much unnecessary stress.

UVB is very important in keeping your chameleon healthy. Calcium and vitamin dusting, along with gutloading also play a HUGE part in the health of your pet. What calcium and or vitamin supplements are you using? How frequently are you using them? What are you feeding your crickets? Do you plan on introducing any other feeders?

Do you mist your chameleon or have a drip system? How are you providing water? What is your average humidity and your humidity after misting? Have you seen your girl drink? What does her poop look like?

Sorry to ask so many questions but these are all things to take into consideration when health issues arise and also just to be sure that you are doing everything possible to keep your chameleon safe and happy!

yea i agree, the legs do look strange, was this shot taken during the day? was it sleeping because sleeping during the day is no good sign. always i would be a little concerned

Well, truthfully, I think that you may want to take her to the vet for a check up. Her legs look a little bowed and this could be a sign of MBD. The walking on the ground is also a *little* odd (though not always cause for alarm). Does her casque (top of her head) feel rubbery/bendy? Is she shakey? Does she lift her belly completely up off of the branches as she moves about?

By "tank" are you meaning glass enclosure? Chameleons should be kept in all screen cages. They need a much larger amount of air flow than most reptiles and seeing themselves in the reflection in the glass causes much unnecessary stress.

UVB is very important in keeping your chameleon healthy. Calcium and vitamin dusting, along with gutloading also play a HUGE part in the health of your pet. What calcium and or vitamin supplements are you using? How frequently are you using them? What are you feeding your crickets? Do you plan on introducing any other feeders?

Do you mist your chameleon or have a drip system? How are you providing water? What is your average humidity and your humidity after misting? Have you seen your girl drink? What does her poop look like?

Sorry to ask so many questions but these are all things to take into consideration when health issues arise and also just to be sure that you are doing everything possible to keep your chameleon safe and happy!

The casque does not feel rubbery, and she does indeed lift her belly up completely while climbing. Other than when the branches/leaves are bending, she doesn't shake at all.

She *is* in an aquarium for the time being, while a friend of mine is constructing a cage for me, which will be ready in a few days.

As I said, I'm getting a UVB Bulb for her this week. If I would have known the bulb was going to blow so soon, I would've asked the pet shop to hold on to her for a few more days while I'm waiting on my paycheck.
I'm using Rep-Cal Phosphorus free calcium supplement to dust, and gutloading them with store-bought stuff. I'm planning on introducing other feeders such as Mealworms, etc.

I've been misting twice a day as well as using a drip system purchased from the reptile store, "Little Dripper" is the name of the actual product. I have seen her drink. The humidity after misting I can't tell you, I'll have to measure and see. Her poop is solid, looks completely normal.

Pictures have a strange way of making thngs look oddly angled, but her legs really look bowed. Are they straight in real life-meaning there should be no bend or bowing from the foot to the knee joint, or the knee joint to the body. If there is bowing, you will need veterinay intervention most likely in order to save her. Hopefully it is just the pics.

I know that it can be hard to realize that something definitely may be wrong, but I am almost positive that your chameleon is showing signs of MBD. To be on the safe side, I would take her to the vet for a check up. Best case scenario, I am wrong and she is great. And if not.. at least you know that your girl is healthy and that you are doing all that you can for her.

In the second picture it looks like she has a break in her front left (looking straight at her, left) leg.

How old is your chameleon? You didn't mention in the previous posts.

This is a picture of one of my male veileds. When I got this guy, I took him in as a rescue from a pet store. I knew that he had MBD when I got him. He was still eating and drinking well. All 4 of his legs were broken. He is 10 months old in this picture. 10 months! He was tiny. What I am showing here though is that the breaks are not always as noticeable as you would think. MBD is a slow progressing disease that can be halted if treated early. By the time that all of the signs are present, your chameleon may not make it.

mbd.jpg

Veterinary care is your best bet.

I know that it can be hard to realize that something definitely may be wrong, but I am almost positive that your chameleon is showing signs of MBD. To be on the safe side, I would take her to the vet for a check up. Best case scenario, I am wrong and she is great. And if not.. at least you know that your girl is healthy and that you are doing all that you can for her.

In the second picture it looks like she has a break in her front left (looking straight at her, left) leg.

How old is your chameleon? You didn't mention in the previous posts.

I'm scheduling a vet visit, just to be positive.

She is around 3 months old, and has been in my care for around 1 week now.

It wasn't terribly noticeable in mine.. he just moved.. oddly. Kind of jerkily.. if that makes sense.

Just an update, I've gotten her in her new fresh air cage and have gotten the UVB Bulb on her. I'm using a Repti-sun 10, and am dusting the crickets. I'm also planning on introducing her to some new foods this weekend.

Fantastic! I am glad to hear that she is doing well! There is so much to learn but you seem to be a responsible chameleon owner. Keep us updated with pictures!

Dont forget to gutload your crickets as well as dust them! Search gutloads on the forums here.. you will get loads of info about it.

Provide fresh greens in her diet, too!

Hi!
Let us know the results of your Vet visit!

Added recommendation: Do you have live ficus plants in your enclosure for your Veil to munch on the leaves? If not, provide collard green leaves(use a plastic clip to attach to a branch or put inbetween two branches to secure it). Veils do chomp on greens(You will see "V" marks on the edges of the leaf) and it is essential that it is provided for them as part of their diet for long-term health!

Christine

Back
Top Bottom