new veiled owner- questions!

remmy

I just adoped a chameleon and his setup from a family who was going into assisted care.

Since then I have added a ton of climbing branches, but he stays in the same 1-2 spots. I know this is most likely because the basking light is in that area.

Even at night he stays in one spot- without the light.

Should I be changing the basking area so he gets to move around the cage a bit more?
Thanks!

I just adoped a chameleon and his setup from a family who was going into assisted care.

Since then I have added a ton of climbing branches, but he stays in the same 1-2 spots. I know this is most likely because the basking light is in that area.

Even at night he stays in one spot- without the light.

Should I be changing the basking area so he gets to move around the cage a bit more?
Thanks!

Change is big for chams, What kind(locale) is the Cham?
So you might want to let him get used to the new look..
Make sure he has what he needs TEMPS/water/food and give him a minute..
What is your setup like?
What is your basking temp like
Keep us posted on him K

remmy

remmy, a veiled chameleonm is in his same cage with the same lights. I have not measured the cage but it is probably 30x30x18. I am told he is a year and a half years old- the previous owner had him for a year.
He definetly does not like to be sprayed or handled.

I added a ponytail palm and added 3 climbing vines throughout the cage.
I am not a big fan of the cage becuase everytime you open the cage- it is very wobbly.

The temps are a bit low at 75, not sure what the basking temp is at.
He eats superworms out of my hand....and I put crickets in the cage ( I assume he is eating them, unless they are really good hiders)

I have not seen him drink anything yet. I know the previous owner did not use a drip system, but i have started that. He probably has no idea what that is. She had one of the mysting volcanos in his setup- but it is broken, and not sure i really like that anyways. I spray in the morning(and leave for work) then the drip cup is when i get home from work.

remmy, a veiled chameleonm is in his same cage with the same lights.

you said another cham is in the same cage?
Remmy, Here's a good way to get help.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - What kind of cage are you using? What is the size?
Lighting - What kind of lighting are you using? How long do you keep the lights on during the day?
Temperature - What temperature range have you created? Basking spot temp? What is the temperature at night?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What kind of schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What are you dusting your feeders with and what kind of schedule do you use?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

here is the basic info that i know

Remmy, the chemeleon, is in his own cage, alone!

Location- Out of walkways,not near any vents or heaters, not near the window
Cage Info:
Cage Type - mesh screen cage with front opening? What is the size 30x30x18
Lighting - What kind of lighting are you using?Basking light and a long floresent type?I was told that they have all the uv lights they need

How long do you keep the lights on during the day? from 8 am to 9 pm

Temperature - What temperature range have you created? cool areas are low 70s Basking spot temp? not sure What is the temperature at night? low 70s

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? haven't checked this
How are you creating and maintaining these levels? just the watering below
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? one- ponytail palm
Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - veiled, male, and 1 1/2 years.
Feeding - 4 superworms every other day, 4 crickets on alternate days.
gutloading both with oranges/broccoli/celery
dusting worms every time ( which is every other day) with calcium powder ( not sure of the brand)

Watering - spray fake leaves in the morning which are all around the cage and a drip system in the afternoon both with warm/hot water. Do you see your chameleon drinking?- no I have not seen him do this yet-

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings:
2 yesterday afternoon I found brown lumps, very firm
This morning found one the same size as the lumps but it was half yellowish orange/ half white- it was not compact like the lumps- more like a squiggly lump like frosting on a cake.. if that makes sense!
History - a year and a half old, eats from the palm of your hand, very hardy. I have the previous owners contact info , and I can still get in touch with them.

Current Problem - Remmy tends to stay in one corner of the cage and hasn't really explored his new cage and haven't seen him drink water ( but he looks healthy).

Back
Top Bottom