New Veiled Chameleon

thank you and he is only eating to cause my mom is not able to buy crickets. And the size are the pinheads or the baby ones:)

For his size he definitely needs to be eating 10-15 a day. Crickets are very cheap no matter where you get them. How come only 2? That would be $0.20 at Petsmart. Can I ask what kind of cage and lighting you have set up for your cute little guy?

yeah most deff feed them more than two a day i feed mine 4-5 week olds 6-8 crickets in the morning and in the evening i feed him 3-4 silk worms in the afternoon around 3ish. enjoy him now cause in a few weeks he will start hissing at you when you try to take him out of his cage. try not to handle him too much as of now cause the risk of breaking a leg easily.

and i have a 18 by 18 by 18 glass terrarium and i have a 20 watt night glo and during the day he gets heat from the sun

heat from the sun how? If through a window, then he is just getting heat and no UVB. Without UVB he will die eventually. Do not put him outside in a glass enclosure in the sun for uvb. you will fry him. you need to get a UVB light. Get a Zoomed Reptisun 5.0 linear tube. You will have to buy the fixture for it also. He needs no light at night. He will only need heat if the temps get into the 50's, if not then leave the light off. Do you know about supplementing your feeders with calcium without d3, with d3 and a multivitamin. Do you know about gutloading your feeders which means feeding your crickets? Do you know about humidity levels and having the proper gauges to measure temp and humidity? Edit: I just looked at your video and your set up needs to be changed! That blue light is no good! You need a ordinary housebullb, about a 20 watt and use that to one side of the cage for your cham to bask. You need to measure your temps in there. You have No UVB light? Get rid of that dirt or substrate in the bottom. Breeding ground for bacteria, and your cham may injest it and become ill.

Listen to Carol, she's trying to help. You are going to have to make some changes, Carol will be gentle but firm. She knows more than most, I listen to her, so should you.
Don't get upset with the advice, it is in the best interest of your Cham. And that is what matters to the people here, ok?
Best of luck, you will make it ok

Listen to Carol, she's trying to help. You are going to have to make some changes, Carol will be gentle but firm. She knows more than most, I listen to her, so should you.
Don't get upset with the advice, it is in the best interest of your Cham. And that is what matters to the people here, ok?
Best of luck, you will make it ok

thank you sontiger, but I really don't know more that most. I do however, know the basics of care and you are right I am just trying to help before it is too late for this little guy. 99% of my knowledge has come from this forum. I learn something new everyday too, that is the beauty of the forum. I spend alot of time on here and read and read and then go off and do research on other websites to further answer my questions.

Yeah dude, listen to carol. From looking at ur enclosure, you havent done any research on what veiled chameleons need. Read Jannb's blog about new owners, it'll help a lot. Also, act quickly to improve your chams husbandry otherwise it'll impact his health quickly and will suffer. Take a look at the picture galleries and search for veiled enclosures. You'll get an idea of what they are supposed to be like (lots of branches and leaves).

Yeah dude, listen to carol. From looking at ur enclosure, you havent done any research on what veiled chameleons need. Read Jannb's blog about new owners, it'll help a lot. Also, act quickly to improve your chams husbandry otherwise it'll impact his health quickly and will suffer. Take a look at the picture galleries and search for veiled enclosures. You'll get an idea of what they are supposed to be like (lots of branches and leaves).

I know there was much more to critique here but was just trying to cover the most important like the uvb and the temps and stuff. I would not use that type of cage either but he could live in there temporarily with the right lighting and such. you are right, he needs some branches and vines instead of that big log.

You should also fill the How to ask for help questionnaire in order for us to help you make all corrections in your husbandry.
Remember, we are here to help you and your chameleon

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Back
Top Bottom