New veiled chameleon.

reb28

I just got a veiled chameleon two days ago. So far I have seen him drink water, but I am not 100% sure if he has eaten anything, but I have heard it is to be expected. I set up a camera to watch him and saw his tongue shoot out but I couldn't tell if he got anything. Yesterday, I caught a small fall on the camera, but he caught himself, so I don't think anything too bad happened. Should I be concerned that he fell? I have noticed that the cham has been screen climbing to the upper right corner a lot recently, and I am not sure if I should be concerned. My friend gave it to me because she said he had been too defensive for her. It has also been defensive towards me, but I have started to gain it's trust by not rushing the handling. Since my friend only lived a couple minutes away, we transported the cham in it's original cage, so I didn't get a chance to set it up the way I wanted to. There is still reptile carpet in there which I know is awful for hosting bacteria, but he barely allows my hand in his cage. I also went out to get some branches from outside because there weren't too many in there, but I still have to clean them. I also wanted to get a lot of live plants like a pothos and an umbrella tree for a lot more foliage. I have more fake vines to put in, but he is very defensive when I am near his cage. I have also noticed that he has been on the ground a little (walking around) but he looks like he is hunting. When I walk into the room to mist or feed him, he turns his back to show me his spikes. Although, he has gotten more used to me and is doing less often. My friend also had a compact uvb, but I have gotten a t5 ho linear uvb because I have heard the compact ones are inadequate. I am not 100% sure on his sex either because he has not allowed me to go near him, let alone look at the back of his feet. This is my first chameleon and I have done over 8 months of research on them, and I really want to make sure I give him the best life I can, so I am open to constructive criticism and if anyone has tips on making him (I think) less defensive and aggressive. I have inserted some pictures of the cage, the cham, and the supplements I am using.
chamelon1.jpg chameleon2.jpg chameleon3.jpg chameleon4.jpg

I think you have a female hun... Do you have any other pictures? I am concerned with the behavior on the ground. If it is a female she may be looking for a place to lay eggs...

Any pics you have show us... If it is female and is needing to lay eggs we need to determine this asap.

@MissSkittles @AmandaS are keepers with female experience and will be able to give you specifics. if you do have a female as I suspect.

Enclosure is not set up properly but you already know that. The fact that they only used a compact bulb is a worry for MBD.
You will need to start reading through this husbandry program to learn how you need to set up this cage. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

I can send more pictures. Is there anything specific for the pictures that would help determine the sex?

I can send more pictures. Is there anything specific for the pictures that would help determine the sex?
Based on size we will be able to tell. I am not seeing a tarsal spur on the back feet, tail base, and casque size is small. These identify a female. Behavior is that of a female as well.
So any pics where we can actually see the cham.

Here are some more photos. Let me know if you need more.

Attachments

• C0E4E8ED-A9FC-4ADB-80E8-65E145D5A602.jpeg
    C0E4E8ED-A9FC-4ADB-80E8-65E145D5A602.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 95C717A7-FC2D-4572-AC57-32E7BB023B62.jpeg
    95C717A7-FC2D-4572-AC57-32E7BB023B62.jpeg
    358.7 KB · Views: 119
  • C705E5E8-232C-4E63-A776-43D6F11674F5.jpeg
    C705E5E8-232C-4E63-A776-43D6F11674F5.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 126
  • ACFC964D-460C-416D-BE2F-7216AB1523C5.jpeg
    ACFC964D-460C-416D-BE2F-7216AB1523C5.jpeg
    303.7 KB · Views: 113
You have a female and she is holding eggs IMO...

She needs a lay bin...

So this is the priority. Remove the fountain and stuff in the bottom. They do not drink from fountains anyway.
You want a tub like this one below.... Follow the guide... You can do playsand by itself instead of a 50/50 mix.
You will moisten it until it can hold a tunnel. Then slide it into the bottom of the cage...

Then she will need privacy to lay... The other keepers I tagged will help you from here. But you have to do the lay bin now... Get it sorted and placed in case she needs to lay now.

laybin graphic.jpg

Thank you guys so much for your help I will make a laying bin asap! If not for this forum, I don’t know what I would have done. Any other tips for females?

Thank you guys so much for your help I will make a laying bin asap! If not for this forum, I don’t know what I would have done. Any other tips for females?
Fill out the husbandry form and I will go over it with you.
She does appear to be hefty, like she has eggs. And a lay bin is one of the top priorities. She could be going to the bottom to lay eggs, or she could be going to the bottom because there is nothing up top.

Get the lay bin done first and put in the enclosure. Then you will want to fill this out. and start reading that link I gave you for husbandry.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled Chameleon, female, and 6-10 months old. Been in my care for 3 days.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I have not handled her at all.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Superworms, dubias, and crickets. She hasn't eaten. Too new to know the schedule. Gutloading with carrots, peppers, mustard greens, and collard greens.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Calcium without d3 everyday except sunday. Calcium with d3 and multivitamin on sunday, but switch each sunday.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Misting bottle. I mist every morning for 2-3 minutes and every night for 2-3. I have seen her drink.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? She has not pooped yet in my care. She has not pooped in my care yet. She has been tested for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I got her from a friend who used a compact uvb.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 16x16x30 but getting a 2x2x4
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 24 inch t5 ho uvb bulb. 5.0 reptisun. 75 watt light bulb for basking.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 72-84. 69 is the lowest overnight temp. Temperature gun.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Usually around 52%. Using a mister. Hygrometer.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I am not but I plan on getting some very soon.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The cage is located in a guest bedroom. Not near any fans or vents. Very low traffic. The top of the cage from the ground is 62 inches.

I was concerned about her being on the ground but now I know that I need a laying bin.

I will put my feedback in red. Just click expand to see the full comment.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled Chameleon, female, and 6-10 months old. Been in my care for 3 days.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I have not handled her at all. This is good. You'll want to give her time to get comfortable.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Superworms, dubias, and crickets. She hasn't eaten. Too new to know the schedule. Gutloading with carrots, peppers, mustard greens, and collard greens. This is good! Fresh veggies are always best! You will want to feed her 3 large feeders (or equivalent) 3 days a week to keep her egg production down.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Calcium without d3 everyday except sunday. Calcium with d3 and multivitamin on sunday, but switch each sunday. Perfect!!
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Misting bottle. I mist every morning for 2-3 minutes and every night for 2-3. I have seen her drink. Also perfect. She may not want to clean her eyes if you're standing over her with a mister bottle, but for now this is fine! You may want to eventually get a mister system. Mist king is the best there is. And worth every penny!
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? She has not pooped yet in my care. She has not pooped in my care yet. She has been tested for parasites. When she does, the fecal matter should be a formed pellet, and the urate should be creamy white. If there is an orange tinge to it, it will be fine as long as it is has white to it. If the whole thing is orange, she is dehydrated and you may want to provide her with some hornworms for moisture.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I got her from a friend who used a compact uvb.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 16x16x30 but getting a 2x2x4Great! A larger enclosure will provide you with more space for her lay bin. You'll want a permanent lay bin as part of her enclosure.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 24 inch t5 ho uvb bulb. 5.0 reptisun. 75 watt light bulb for basking. Good. How far away is her basking bulb from her enclosure? I like to recommend lifting them off the enclosure a few inches to prevent the risk of burns.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 72-84. 69 is the lowest overnight temp. Temperature gun. You will want a thermometer with a probe to attach to her basking branch so you always know the exact temp there. You want her basking spot to be no higher than 81. We like to keep the females cooler so it slows their metabolism so they dont feel so hungry since we keep them on a stricter diet.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Usually around 52%. Using a mister. Hygrometer. You will want to keep her daytime humidity between 30-50% and then at the coolest part of the night (I chose midnight-4am) you will want her humidity to spike to as close to 100% as you can get it. They want warm, dry days and cool, moist nights
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I am not but I plan on getting some very soon. I think I have seen someone link a good plant list, but if not I'll link a couple below.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The cage is located in a guest bedroom. Not near any fans or vents. Very low traffic. The top of the cage from the ground is 62 inches. This is also good. They like to be high up, looking down on us where they belong. Lol

I was concerned about her being on the ground but now I know that I need a laying bin.
When receptive females will start looking for a male to fertilize their eggs, so they will be very restless for an period of time. Then they become gravid and become restless again as they are searching for a place to lay their eggs. You will need to make a good spot where the soil (I use washed play sand as it holds a tunnel very well) will hold a tunnel, and enough space that she can dig a few holes before she makes one she likes. I say she needs 10x10x10 of space. They really like to lay in a root ball, so I like to plant a privacy plant in the lay bin, but expect it to get destroyed. So a cheap little pothos does nicely for this. Females lay eggs roughly every 120 days, unless you can completely stop her cycle through diet.

I honestly usually go to my local home depot, and wash my plants very well...both sides of the leaves...and repot in organic soil that is covered by large rocks.

Back
Top Bottom