New veiled chameleon

Paul reardon

• Your Chameleon - Veiled male could be 2 months old
  • Handling - Once every other day for a few minutes
  • Feeding - 10 small crickets every morning dusted with calcium
  • Supplements - Not sure of the brand but everyday before I feed my chameleon
  • Watering - Spray tanks twice a day. Reptifogger on timer multiple times per day. Dripper yes have seen him drink
  • Fecal Description - Brown/black with white unilateral
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 12x12x19
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? UVB/ uva/heat 40 watt
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 85-90 not sure about basking temp 70 lowest at nighy
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 40-70 I try to keep at 50 I have humidity thermometer
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Fake plants
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Living room near no fans or anything
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Ma
  • Question I am notes sure how to determine the basking temp as tank temp is 85-90. Was think of get a basking light instead of using uva/heat lamp so I know one spot is basking and the basking light will help still maintain a tank temp of 85-90 as I am still using UVB light

Please don’t have multiple threads on the same subject. Could you post a picture of your cham, his cage, and the back of his back feet, please? Don’t handle your cham unless he wants it (climbs onto you). Who sold you a 2 month old cham, they shouldn’t be sold unless over 3 months old. At that age, feed as many food items as he’ll eat multiple times a day. What do you gutload with? It either needs to be organic fresh fruits and veggies, along with bee pollen and spirulina (there’s a gutload list here in the food and nutrition tab in resources) and/or a quality commercial gutload, like Cricket Crack, Pangea, Repashy, or Mazuri. If using a commercial gutload, either water feeders by turning gutload into a paste, using organic fresh fruits and veggies, watering gel, or cotton balls soaked in water. He needs to be misted at least 3 times a day, maybe more depending on humidity levels, for a minimum of 2 minutes each time. There are many ways to supplement:
1) phosphorous free calcium without D3 (like Zoo Med ReptiCalcium without D3) every feeding and a multivitamin with D3 (like Zoo Med Reptivite with D3) every 2 weeks
2) an all in one supplement every feeding (like Repashy Calcium Plus LoD or Sticky Tongue Farms Minerall- gutload feeders with Sticky Tongue Farms Vitall the night before if using Minerall- Minerall has an indoor and outdoor formula, use the indoor one)
3) Arcadia supplements using the Arcadia insectivore supplement schedule off of their website
4) phosphorous free calcium without D3 (like Zoo Med ReptiCalcium without D3) every feeding, phosphorous free calcium with D3 (like Zoo Med ReptiCalcium with D3) every 2 weeks, and a multivitamin without D3 (like Zoo Med Reptivite without D3) every 2 weeks
Bonus) add bee pollen to each dusting as well for extra nutrients!
Dust by putting the feeders in a container with some supplement, and shake the container until each feeder is completely, but lightly, dusted with the supplement, then feed them off. Get a bigger cage, preferably screen. Eventually he’ll need a minimum sized cage of 2’ by 2’ by 4’ tall. So you’re using a mercury vapor bulb? Get a separate white light heat bulb for basking and either a t5HO or T8 linear uvb bulb and fixture (bulb strength depends on cage size). Make sure to have 12 hours of uvb and basking and 12 hours of complete darkness. Basking should 85*F. Chams need a temp drop at night, so as long as you don’t go below 50*F, you don’t need a nighttime heat source (low wattage ceramic heat emitter). Humidity is perfect! I would get a live cham-safe plant, like a pothos, since veileds eat plants. What do you mean tank temp is 86-90*F? Is there no temperature gradient? Please read the veiled care sheet here, as well

Back
Top Bottom