New veiled chameleon mom

VldchamMom

I got my first veiled chameleon and I have had reptiles in the past, (iguanas, anoles, gekos) and I've done a lot of research but I've only had this guy from the pet store about two weeks and he's gotten a lot bigger but that's okay cause I got him a big in closure when I was discussing bulbs with them they gave me a UVA for day and a infarred at night but isn't that wrong I thought he needed UVB daylight. He eats three times what the pet store recommended and was in a tiny little glass in closure . I want to give him a good life should I be switching to UVB. Also they didn't mention anything about vitamins and my research says he absolutely needs them. Any suggestions please . The first picture is the first few days the second was today about two weeks apart

Attachments

• IMG_20190703_100620345_LL.jpg
    IMG_20190703_100620345_LL.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20190713_220453317_LL.jpg
    IMG_20190713_220453317_LL.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 68
Yes you are going to want to supplement UVB this is one of the most important aspects in chameleon husbandry. Everyone recommends T5HO fixtures on here with a 6% Arcadia or 5.0 reptisun linear bulbs or 12% Arcadia or 10.0 reptisun linear bulbs this depends on cage setup,cage size,how big your light fixture is and chameleon species. These bulbs give off both uvb and uva.

No lights should be on at night. They need complete darkness.

For a general supplementation schedule most people recommend their veiled chameleons calcium WITHOUT D3 everyday. Calcuim WITH D3 every 2 weeks and a multi vitamin every 2 weeks alternating between these two.

A simpler way some people recommend is just giving them repashy calcuim plus LoD everyfeeding day instead of the other schedule above.

I’d fill this form out to let other keepers see what your working with so we can possibly help out more.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I got my first veiled chameleon and I have had reptiles in the past, (iguanas, anoles, gekos) and I've done a lot of research but I've only had this guy from the pet store about two weeks and he's gotten a lot bigger but that's okay cause I got him a big in closure when I was discussing bulbs with them they gave me a UVA for day and a infarred at night but isn't that wrong I thought he needed UVB daylight. He eats three times what the pet store recommended and was in a tiny little glass in closure . I want to give him a good life should I be switching to UVB. Also they didn't mention anything about vitamins and my research says he absolutely needs them. Any suggestions please . The first picture is the first few days the second was today about two weeks apart

Youve got the info you need for the most part. But feel free to fill out the form so we can make sure were helping you give your cham the best care :p

Thank you guys so much so far I've switch up by taking out the infarred at night (if my house has central air in the summer should I still keep it off?) He has two bulbs during the day a 5.0 UVB and a heat/UVA this keeps the top of the cage at about 78 during the day and the bottom is usually on70 at night with no infarred it's getting down to between 58-60 is that too cold?. Also I buy large amounts of crickets and breed what I can I bought calcium blocks for them to eat and I also got himRepti calcium with D3 that I powder 12 crickets with once a week is what the recommended with the calcium I feed the crickets. Does that sound ok? I didnt like the circumstances this little guy was in as I said before I have had other reptiles and I want him to have the best life possible . I mist his cage for two minutes every morning and every evening I also give the crickets water and sprinkle them with water when I give them to him just to try to make sure he's hydrated.his cage is 3ft tall 18inches wide if I'm saying it right it's kinda looks like a glass inclosuer on end but it was made that way with a 1/2inch by 1/2 inch screen top the 1/2 is how large the square openings are in the screen, I wanted one that he couldn't get out of or get hurt on but that the UV could penetrate well.

I'm not sure if this makes a difference he's not an adult yet but he's not a baby either he was definitely being held back by the tiny cage the pet store had him in and they only gave him twelve crickets a day, he eats way more than that for me, he eats like a champ especially his first few days here

They couldn't tell me his exact age but I've been going in that pet store awhile and it took me a while to get together every thing I need to get him they told me he had been there for 3 months but I'm not sure I am only able to tell that he's not a complete adult ( in my opinion) I think he's in the middle part of his youth maybe like 3 months and he'll be adult does that sound about right

I also wanted to mention yesterday evening when I turned on the UVB since then he sits green but before I had the UVB it was plenty warm but he would still always be a brown or dark green ish brown and now he's a nice pretty Brite green. Before now he's would only be bright green at night now he is Brite green all the time

Hi there! I’m glad you made some upgrades but your post is all over the place with info and that makes it hard to give advice. Can you fill the health form out that was posted at the beginning of the thread. It will be more organized and will be able to help us help you. Just copy and paste then fill out the questions. It’s long but necessary. :) Thanks!

Closer to 5 months in my opinion.

For UVB light, use a T5HO fixture with either a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb. For basking, use a normal incandescent house bulb around 65-75w and adjust the height of the bulb to get the desired basking temp at the branch.

Aim for a basking temp of around 82-85*F until he is about 1 year old. This will help aid in proper digestion and metabolism.

No light at night. If ambient temperatures go below 55*F use a ceramic heat emitter to warm the area. Chameleons can see infrared light and it will keep them from going through a normal sleep cycle.

Supplements: I recommend Repashy calcium Plus LoD. Use this All-In-One powder lightly at every feeding.

Gutload feeder insects with fresh greens listed here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled chameleon. Male. Age unknown but not full grown just yet. Ive had him 2mos almost 3
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I don't handle and very much even when I clean his cage I usually let him come out on his own so I've only handled him a handful of times
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I think that the pet store was under feeding him they told me to give him 12 crickets a day but he always still seemed hungry he'll eat about 20 to 25 large crickets a day I feed the crickets dandelion weed sprinkled with calcium
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Zoo Med rep tie calcium it says ultra fine precipitated calcium carbonate supplement with D3 I dust his crickets with this about twice a week
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use a mister bottle with room temperature water I sprayed his cage in the morning and at night for about 2 minutes each time I see him actually go up and drink the water every few days usually he just rubs his head or he'll scratch his head with his back feet while I'm watering them and rub himself on the wood
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? it's pretty thick but not hard blackish Brown every once in awhile looks like there's a little tad bit of white or yellowish in it. Yes he's been tested he's good
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. the pet store had him in a cage that was way too small was a light that was not strong enough I left his feeding and he's grown in size at least double what he was

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? it's a glass and Screen combo 3 1/2 ft tall 20 in Deep by 20 in deep the lid size isn't mesh screen I'll take a photo to show you
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? tropical UVB 5.0 13 watt reptile fluorescent he also has a UVA heat bulb
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I have a digital thermometer at the top and the bottom in his basking spot I would say it's about 82 degrees 84. The topper part of the cage is between 75 and 78 degrees and the bottom of the cage during the day has probably 72 72° sometimes it gets down to 69 at night 68 degrees at the top where he sleeps between 68 and 73 degrees no lights on at night
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I don't have the humidity scale yet I'm waiting for one in the mail now but I do spray his cage every morning and every night it stays pretty damp in there
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I use plastic plants I wish I could use real ones I just know the plastic ones are safe
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? the top of the cage is pretty high up it's about 2 ft taller than me and I'm 5 foot 8 there is a ceiling fan in the room that gets put on low sometimes but I put a blanket over his cage the hold in the moisture and to keep wind out of it the house also has central air but as I said there's a ppretty thick quilt that goes over his whole enclosure
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I live in the USA in Ohio right now it's summertime between 75 and 89 degrees most days
  • my concern for this guy is I'm not sure he seems to be doing really well and he's flourished a lot since he left the pet store but the other day he was trying to sneak out of his cage when I open the lid and he slipped which is very odd for him but it is a spot where there's nothing for him to grab he only fell about 4 in but it just really scared me he seems to be going to the bottom of his cage more and it makes me wonder what he's searching for he has food always in the same spot he knows where I go to get it I'm always giving him water his cask and everything is nice and firm his bones look good I'll post a picture I just want to make sure I'm doing everything to the best that I'm able to do for him

This photo was a few months ago but now he keeps going around his entire cage it's almost like he's trying to get out he goes to the bottom and he feels around all the glass and all the edges like he's going to get out he's a lot bigger now than in that last photo I'm wondering if maybe it's because he's an adult is he looking for a female

Hes deffinatly not wanting as much food and when hes not searching the cage hes on the lid as close as he could to his light... Maybe hes hitting adult hood and eats less often and is looking for a female

@VldchamMom ...if you're not going to use the Repashy calcium Plus LoD then you need three powders...one phos free calcium to dust on the insects lightly at most feedings and a phos free calcium/D3 powder to dust on the insects just before feeding them to the chameleon twice a month and a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene prOformed source of vitamin A to dust lightly on twice a month. If the chameleon needs it you can use a prEformed vitamin A product once in a while too. PrEformed vitamin A and D3 can build up in the system and lead to health issues so that's why they're used sparingly.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom