new veiled chameleon i want to know if i have everything right.

giaindell

its been 1 day
Handling - just got him today
Feeding - pinhead crickets 10 day olds
Supplements - as of today reptivite (with d3)
Watering - misting but soon getting a dripper
Fecal Description - havent seen any poop yet
History - eating without a problem and very active
he supposively is a boy and 2 months old

Cage Info:
Cage Type- screened height 16 length 13 and depth 8 inches
Lighting - reptisun 5.0 uvb 26 watts with compact top by exo terra
Humidity & temperature - i do not have a humidity and temperature gauge yet
Plants - pothos plant
Placement - near a window, window is closed all the time due to the fact that it is quite cold now a days
Location - staten island ny

here is some pictures of the set up right now and i also forgot to say that i baught him from reptile expo in white plains ny

Attachments

• DSCF0325.jpg
    DSCF0325.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCF0327.jpg
    DSCF0327.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCF0328.jpg
    DSCF0328.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 106
He needs some color in that cage! They drink from leaves and if there aren't any... it makes it harder to drink! Put some green in that thing!!!!

Schefflera and pothos are great plants for them! they provide hiding, help with humidity, and are safe if your cham decides to munch down on the leaves. hibiscus are good as well, but harder to keep alive. you may also want to provide some more walking/climbing things, like dowel rods, sticks, etc for him to climb on.

Btw, if you would to verify the gender, post a pic of the back of the back feet. if it is a boy, you shoudl see a little 'bump' known as a tarsal spur.

thanks and yeah its just the first day so im not done and i dont want to take another trip to the petstore but otherwise everything is okay?

everything seems ok, he looks a bit skinny, but that could just be the camera, angle, screen. etc.
Just add more hiding places for him.

Mine was that size(bit smaller) when i got him, he's almost 4 months now and you will not believe how fast the mo-fo is growing...

they told me that they didnt feed him yesterday so they would eat for people today but hes eating like crazy haha i put probably 10 crickets in there and hes eating them all

here is some pictures of the set up right now and i also forgot to say that i baught him from reptile expo in white plains ny

How much did you get him for? I got a new veiled today from the expo myself, he was a translucent veiled with pink limbs. I got him at the sunshinedragon table. It was funny because I didn't go there looking for a chameleon, i was looking for a nice colored n sized male beardie :). That setup will b ok for a couple of days but in the long run he needs more foliage. The plants mentioned are what he needs and he should be doing well.

you need to be dusting with calcium with NO d3 at every feeding, calcium with d3 two times per month, and a multivitamin twice a month. You need to get something to measure your temps and humidity pronto. Feed him atleast 15 crickets a day. I think it is a boy. I possibly see a spur on the back heal in the second pic. Maybe my eyes decieve me! If he has tarsal spurs on the back heals(little points that stick out) then he is a boy. Ditto on the plants. He has no where to hide from his big bad keeper! lol!! Oh do youhave a basking bulb or just the UVB? We like the linears versus the compacts. Just the way most of us do it here on the forum! Oh and welcome!!!

How much did you get him for? I got a new veiled today from the expo myself, he was a translucent veiled with pink limbs. I got him at the sunshinedragon table. It was funny because I didn't go there looking for a chameleon, i was looking for a nice colored n sized male beardie :). That setup will b ok for a couple of days but in the long run he needs more foliage. The plants mentioned are what he needs and he should be doing well.

whats funny is that i accually saw them haha i baught him for 30 i was going to buy one if i didnt find anything better. and i knew i was going to get one but i wasnt sure what breed but i knew i was going to buy some sort of animal and i saw other veild babies for 30 but they were more young and i felt they were even too young to be sold so i didnt want to take the chance of one dying on me

you need to be dusting with calcium with NO d3 at every feeding, calcium with d3 two times per month, and a multivitamin twice a month. You need to get something to measure your temps and humidity pronto. Feed him atleast 15 crickets a day. I think it is a boy. I possibly see a spur on the back heal in the second pic. Maybe my eyes decieve me! If he has tarsal spurs on the back heals(little points that stick out) then he is a boy. Ditto on the plants. He has no where to hide from his big bad keeper! lol!! Oh do youhave a basking bulb or just the UVB? We like the linears versus the compacts. Just the way most of us do it here on the forum! Oh and welcome!!!

just the uvb because the vendor that sold him to me told me thats all i would need for a while because he is little and i only dusted them with d3 because that is all i have for the moment i have to feed my bearded pygmies with d3

well that is not entirely true, it depends on what your temps are. So please get something to measure your temps with. He should have a basking temp of about 82 degrees. If you cage is too cold he will not be able to digest his food. You need to get the other calcium without d3. Don't keep using the d3 all the time. He gets d3 from the UVB light. you don't want to over do it.

well that is not entirely true, it depends on what your temps are. So please get something to measure your temps with. He should have a basking temp of about 82 degrees. If you cage is too cold he will not be able to digest his food. You need to get the other calcium without d3. Don't keep using the d3 all the time. He gets d3 from the UVB light. you don't want to over do it.

i was planning on going tomorrow in the morning i am off for spring break so i would be able to give most of my attention to this little fellow

i was planning on going tomorrow in the morning i am off for spring break so i would be able to give most of my attention to this little fellow

ok, I would get a digital therm for temp/humidity. You can get one at home depot for like $10. They are more accurate than the analog ones.

Back
Top Bottom