New veiled Cham

BlusMom

Chameleon Info: Picasso, aka Pico
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled, male, around 6 months old
  • Handling - I coaxed him out with meal worms to get in a carrier to go to the vet and only plan on handling him if he comes to me willingly while I'm doing something in his cage.
  • Feeding - Small/medium crickets, small meal worms dusted with calcium.
  • Supplements - zoo med repti calcium without d3 daily, reptivite with d3 (once every other week) zoo med repti calcium with d3 every other week)
  • Watering - repti-rain sprays plants for 15 secs every 3 hours
  • Fecal Description - long very white urate, regular brown turd. I'm still waiting to catch him dropping a fresh load to bring to the vet.
  • History - He was in the back of petco because he was so big. Not sure why he didn't get adopted. Guy noticed me sadly looking at the babies and asked if I wanted to see the male they had in the back. Sounded weird but I obliged and I much prefer adopting an older Cham than the teeny babies.
  • Concerns - I noticed him putting his nose up a few times. No gaping though, eyes look good, healthy appetite. I think I'm just paranoid.

Attachments

• 20220508_230421.jpg
    20220508_230421.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 20220518_065105.jpg
    20220518_065105.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220518_065036.jpg
    20220518_065036.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 20220518_065021.jpg
    20220518_065021.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 70
  • 20220516_214252.jpg
    20220516_214252.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 20220508_230201.jpg
    20220508_230201.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 68
Hi. Pico is a good looking little guy. :) Just a couple of things that I see from the info you’ve given.
Since you’re using the Reptivite with D3 once every other week, there’s no need for the calcium with D3 and you’ll be giving him too much D3. It’s a fat soluble vitamin and builds up in the system, which can lead to problems. If memory serves, I believe it’s been said that Petco only uses calcium with D3 so he may already have a surplus he needs to process.
The other thing is you’ll want to reduce the frequency and increase the duration of mistings. It’s better to mist 2-3 times a day for at least 2 minutes each time. The enclosure needs time to dry out in between mistings and such frequent misting may put your humidity levels too high.
You don’t mention temp or humidity. As he’s old enough, basking temps can max at 85 with a good drop in temps at night (if possible). Humidity should be between 30-50% during the day.
It’s so nice to see that you’ve elevated his basking light. :) He’ll soon grow too heavy to play monkey-cham on his screen top, although my big guy still sometimes tries.😂 I can only see the corner of your uvb…looks to be a linear fixture so will assume it’s the ideal T5 with a 5.0 or 6% bulb. Also, that looks to be a weeping fig tree, so adding a decent plant light will make a big difference in the health of your plants. I like the Sansi 70w as it’s strong enough for just about everything, but you could maybe get away with something like their 36w. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKKG8Q3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BRKG7X1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Hi. Pico is a good looking little guy. :) Just a couple of things that I see from the info you’ve given.
Since you’re using the Reptivite with D3 once every other week, there’s no need for the calcium with D3 and you’ll be giving him too much D3. It’s a fat soluble vitamin and builds up in the system, which can lead to problems. If memory serves, I believe it’s been said that Petco only uses calcium with D3 so he may already have a surplus he needs to process.
The other thing is you’ll want to reduce the frequency and increase the duration of mistings. It’s better to mist 2-3 times a day for at least 2 minutes each time. The enclosure needs time to dry out in between mistings and such frequent misting may put your humidity levels too high.
You don’t mention temp or humidity. As he’s old enough, basking temps can max at 85 with a good drop in temps at night (if possible). Humidity should be between 30-50% during the day.
It’s so nice to see that you’ve elevated his basking light. :) He’ll soon grow too heavy to play monkey-cham on his screen top, although my big guy still sometimes tries.😂 I can only see the corner of your uvb…looks to be a linear fixture so will assume it’s the ideal T5 with a 5.0 or 6% bulb. Also, that looks to be a weeping fig tree, so adding a decent plant light will make a big difference in the health of your plants. I like the Sansi 70w as it’s strong enough for just about everything, but you could maybe get away with something like their 36w. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKKG8Q3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BRKG7X1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
Yes we elevated the light because Blu would stay still and out in the open to bask, this guy, you can tell he was in the back of petco with very little people present. So he didn't like staying anywhere out in the open. I have some of the palm zip tied down so it will keep growing because of course it goes straight to the light and it already reaches the top of the cage. I'm trying to make a jungle in there. The other tree is a wax tree, some parts seemed to have died and other parts are thoroughly thriving, it's odd. The humidity is always between 40 and 50, I have 2 humidity counters and 2 thermostats, each on opposite sides of the cage. One thermometer is at the basking level, it's always 80, the rest of the cage is around 72, at night when everything is off it's around 68 in there. The uvb is t5,I change it every 6 months, it's almost time, July is changing time. He really likes his octopus my friend printed with a 3d printer.

Attachments

• 20220518_143415.jpg
    20220518_143415.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 20220518_144201.jpg
    20220518_144201.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 72
I alternate them weekly
Nope. You’ll be giving too much D3 that way. I use the same calcium without D3 that you have along with Reptivite with D3 once every other week and that’s all. The levels of D3 in the Reptivite are enough, along with your correct UVB bulb. :) Too much D3 can be just as bad as not enough.

Nope. You’ll be giving too much D3 that way. I use the same calcium without D3 that you have along with Reptivite with D3 once every other week and that’s all. The levels of D3 in the Reptivite are enough, along with your correct UVB bulb. :) Too much D3 can be just as bad as not enough.
Ok thank you, I'll just trash that one

Wish I knew someone with a 3d printer, the 🐙 looks really cool. I'm jealous :) Your setup looks sweet.

Back
Top Bottom