new veild chameleon wont eat

Your Chameleon - vield chameleon 6 months old had him two weeks
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? once are twice a day but he is pretty cranky
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? mostley crickets and small meal works What amount? i put ten crickets every couple of days What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? lettuce sweet potatos oranges yellow peppers
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? exoterra multivitamin and exoterracalcium with d3
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? i use a waterfall for drinking and i mist twice a day for 3 to 4 minuts Do you see your chameleon drinking? no not off the waterfall he drinks sometimes of the mist but i have to add water to the waterfall every couple of days
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. black wite and light brown Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? no
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. noCage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? glass 100 gal
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using?18 in reptiglo 5.0 uvb What is your daily lighting schedule? 12 hrs are so
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? 85 to 75 at the bottom Lowest overnight temp?68f How do you measure these temps? digtal thermometer and humidty
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? 40 to 80 % How are you creating and maintaining these levels? misting and a fogger What do you use to measure humidity? digital humidty in side of cage
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? N?A
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? in my bedroom At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?shoulder level
Location - Where are you geographically located? northern bc

just a few things i see
you dont want anything on the bottom of your setup. you are going to want to get your guy out of a aquarium unless you mean terrarium and even then it would need to be quite large for a male veiled ( more verticle room than horizontal ). you need to be using a calcium with no d3 at most feeding and only using the multivitamin and d3 once or twice a month.
also you mention a waterfall, they are not a great idea and tend to problematic in many ways i would remove it.
JMO
hoj

At 6 months old you want to be feeding everyday. He is still growing! A dozen or so a day is good. Change up your feeders and offer something else too. Superworms, silkworms, hornworms, etc. As hoj said get a plain calcium and also a multivitamin. Use your d3 twice a month, your multi twice month and dust your feeders at every feeding with the plain calcium. Do you have an actual basking light in the tank? A tank is no place for a chameleon. Glass is ok if it is well ventilated and a 100gal tank has not much heighth to it and chams like to be high up. Bark and any other type of substrate need to be removed as does your waterfall...both breeding grounds for bacteria. Subtrate could also be injested and cause impaction or choking hazard. Your temps and humdity seem good. Could you post a pic of the set up and him? Is your uvb bulb brand new? Not really seeing anything that stands out while your cham is not eating. Could be tired of crickets. It does happen, but he is still pretty young for that.

Your Chameleon - vield chameleon 6 months old had him two weeks
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? once are twice a day but he is pretty cranky
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? mostley crickets and small meal works What amount? i put ten crickets every couple of days What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? lettuce sweet potatos oranges yellow peppers
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? exoterra multivitamin and exoterracalcium with d3
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? i use a waterfall for drinking and i mist twice a day for 3 to 4 minuts Do you see your chameleon drinking? no not off the waterfall he drinks sometimes of the mist but i have to add water to the waterfall every couple of days
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. black wite and light brown Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? no
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. noCage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? glass 100 gal
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using?18 in reptiglo 5.0 uvb What is your daily lighting schedule? 12 hrs are so
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? 85 to 75 at the bottom Lowest overnight temp?68f How do you measure these temps? digtal thermometer and humidty
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? 40 to 80 % How are you creating and maintaining these levels? misting and a fogger What do you use to measure humidity? digital humidty in side of cage
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? N?A
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? in my bedroom At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?shoulder level
Location - Where are you geographically located? northern bc

Some suggestions:

Stop handling him especially if he's cranky. He's telling you he is stressed out.
Sometimes too many loose feeders confuse a young cham especially if he is also distracted by household activity, feeling exposed to view, and in a new place.
Check to see if he can see other pets, lots of activity, and lights around his cage, especially at night. To make him feel more secure, add live plants to form a visual screen.
Confine your feeders to some sort of container so he can find them. The crickets may be hiding before he gets ready to hunt them, so he gives up. Also, loose feeders lose their dust and their gutload very quickly so they won't be doing the cham much good if he does find them.
The waterfall is going to be a constant source of bacteria and fecal contamination especially if you keep your feeders loose. More nuisance than its worth.

there are tons of threads on here with examples of enclosures and how to build them. go to the forums tab above, click on the enclosures and supplies link and have at it!!!

If you go to YouTube and search for build by jdog chameleon cage, he has awesome step by step videos including a supply list of everything you need and where to get it. Good luck

Oh yeah, about your veiled not eating, it took mine awhile before she would eat in front of me( she was a little shy) I bought a few wax worms ( even though they are not the healthiest choice:rolleyes:) and put it in a cup and walked away, I tried this for several days and then she finally tried one. After getting a taste of that treat the next time I offered her it out of a cup with me holding the cup in front of her she ate it. Now I can put anything in the cup and she'll eat it:D hopefully your Cham is just shy and not sick. Best of luck

Great Cage Idea!

If you go to YouTube and search for build by jdog chameleon cage, he has awesome step by step videos including a supply list of everything you need and where to get it. Good luck

I have seen these cages and video, you can really build a great cage and how you like it. I plan to but not til I can buy a case of the frames and a full roll of screen. Great step by step video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnNl5IMXFCI&feature=related 3 or 4 part instructional video.

kire

Back
Top Bottom