New tree?

Tera_R

Established Member
Okay so since winter hit my ficus Benjamina took a nose dive and died. So I’ve been looking into a new tree and I read that most plants are okay as long as they aren’t spiky smooth or sap producing. So I wanted opinions on a polyscias balfouriana. The branches and leaves look really good!!
B62649BC-ADEF-4594-AE5D-0DCD0BFF0329.png

Beautiful plant but I don't think I would try it.
Good point! Its risky to try a plant without seeing if its toxic i would stick with a Ficus or umbrella plant, they are hardy and absorb water well! Ficus not so much but make a good tree for a enclosure.

I have never heard of this plant and wouldn't use it without first doing more homework, check to see what type of sap it has if a leaf or branch breaks. Hopefully another keeper can offer insight from their first hand experience either with it as a houseplant or in their Cham enclosures. If you are able try adding the name of the plant to the title of the post.

I read up on it a little and it is stated that all parts of this plant have saponins, and according to a web search
"Saponins are one of the most numerous and diverse groups of plant natural products. They serve a range of ecological roles including plant defence against disease and herbivores"
looks like the leaves and stems have been reported to cause contact dermatitis, this is a human and not a reptile but I'd imagine it could cause irritation for them as well.

Oh some ficus lose their leaves in winter. Your ficus may not have died. Also do u have a plant light? Sansi.com can help with that

I have never heard of this plant and wouldn't use it without first doing more homework, check to see what type of sap it has if a leaf or branch breaks. Hopefully another keeper can offer insight from their first hand experience either with it as a houseplant or in their Cham enclosures. If you are able try adding the name of the plant to the title of the post.

I read up on it a little and it is stated that all parts of this plant have saponins, and according to a web search
"Saponins are one of the most numerous and diverse groups of plant natural products. They serve a range of ecological roles including plant defence against disease and herbivores"
looks like the leaves and stems have been reported to cause contact dermatitis, this is a human and not a reptile but I'd imagine it could cause irritation for them as well.
It’s nice to see someone actually looking into the toxin. Idk how many times I’ve posted on here to actually google what the toxin is rather than seeing toxic and slamming the book shut. Ficus, pothos, and many others we use are technically toxic in their own ways(oxalates, saps, etc) and would cause gastro issues if ingested for many mammals.

I’m not saying that this plant should or shouldn’t be used, but saying toxic and ending it there is contradictory to other info we give on plants and adds to confusion IMO.

This is already listed as a *mild irritant for dogs and cats. If you don’t have a veiled then the worry is pretty much nonexistent unless it’s oozing sap all over.

looks like at least in the avatar of OP they have a veiled, in which case I would be more careful. Personally, with all the other stuff they eat (somehow ficus and pothos are fine), I’d have my doubts that this would cause them problems… however I’d agree to be on the safe side since it’s a less commonly used plant.

Thank you for all the helpful comments!! Right after I posted I read about its toxicity😅. Also I have looked into getting a plant light but I have no idea what to get. And this is what my ficus currently looks like I used sand to cover the top of its soil and I think it sucked all the water out of it because it was all throughout it too. I don’t like schefflera because they attract pests like crazy hence the sand.
BA6B5539-79B1-40DB-8308-36FD492E197A.jpeg

Thank you for all the helpful comments!! Right after I posted I read about its toxicity😅. Also I have looked into getting a plant light but I have no idea what to get. And this is what my ficus currently looks like I used sand to cover the top of its soil and I think it sucked all the water out of it because it was all throughout it too. I don’t like schefflera because they attract pests like crazy hence the sand. View attachment 332554
Looks great! For plant lights i heard amazing things about the Arcadia Jungle dawn while other prefer the Sansi plant light!

Thank you for all the helpful comments!! Right after I posted I read about its toxicity😅. Also I have looked into getting a plant light but I have no idea what to get. And this is what my ficus currently looks like I used sand to cover the top of its soil and I think it sucked all the water out of it because it was all throughout it too. I don’t like schefflera because they attract pests like crazy hence the sand. View attachment 332554
With the Croton you'll want a led light to help them grow, the sansi 70w does amazing things for plants and provides some ambient heat.

It’s nice to see someone actually looking into the toxin. Idk how many times I’ve posted on here to actually google what the toxin is rather than seeing toxic and slamming the book shut. Ficus, pothos, and many others we use are technically toxic in their own ways(oxalates, saps, etc) and would cause gastro issues if ingested for many mammals.

I’m not saying that this plant should or shouldn’t be used, but saying toxic and ending it there is contradictory to other info we give on plants and adds to confusion IMO.

This is already listed as a *mild irritant for dogs and cats. If you don’t have a veiled then the worry is pretty much nonexistent unless it’s oozing sap all over.
I erased my devil's advocate part of the post talking about how the sap on ficus is a sappy irritant and that pothos the most commonly used plant is regarded as toxic due to oxalates. Like you mentioned knowing the actual toxin and what part of the plant contains it is a big consideration. I'm not a fan of ficus for chameleon as my guy is a explorer and dont want to risk the sap getting on him or in his eye. Schefflera is a more suitable option for me personally. I've evens started growing a bunch of mini monstera aka Rhaphidophora tetrasperma.

I got some sap from a euphorbia variety in my eye once. It was an awful experience and required a hospital visit. I'd hate to see something like that get in a chameleon turret.

With a Veiled I would be much more cautious. Since they will eat their plants... Choose something from the Veiled tested ones on this list. I would look into getting plant lighting as well. It will help keep your plants thriving and healthy.

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 11.41.38 AM.png

I erased my devil's advocate part of the post talking about how the sap on ficus is a sappy irritant and that pothos the most commonly used plant is regarded as toxic due to oxalates. Like you mentioned knowing the actual toxin and what part of the plant contains it is a big consideration. I'm not a fan of ficus for chameleon as my guy is a explorer and dont want to risk the sap getting on him or in his eye. Schefflera is a more suitable option for me personally. I've evens started growing a bunch of mini monstera aka Rhaphidophora tetrasperma.

I got some sap from a euphorbia variety in my eye once. It was an awful experience and required a hospital visit. I'd hate to see something like that get in a chameleon turret.
Yeah and with how sensitive Cham eyes seem to be, that sap wouldn’t be a fun time

To me it would make sense a leaf chomping animal(veileds) to be highly resistant to most plant toxins, like most herbivores. I totally understand and relate with not wanting to risk it though. I just like to discuss and get into the why’s🤷🏻‍♂️

I got a monstera 2 years ago, pretty small… it is now giant and wouldn’t even fit in a large DS atrium lol. Thing grows like crazy. I love the roots they shoot off that hang down too. Dream would be having a greenhouse with one placed up high creating a little root/vine forest.

So I finally got him a new plant!!!!! And it’s my favorite thing ever I’m going to put it in place of the dead ficus until I get a new one and then I’ll switch it to the front and put a the new ficus in the back. It’s basically a pothos tree! I’m super excited to put it in also does anyone have any idea if these lights are okay for chameleons his plants need more light (link). Also on my most recent post I do have a vet appointment for him on Monday to get the bump checked:)
10F3DD40-77C1-42DA-AF65-67A3ED7B6CB9.jpeg

Pothos are a fairly hearty plant and will really appreciate any supplemental light. Not familiar with that exact led but at 20$ it's worth giving it a shot.

Edit* I have a big ol mama pothos that doesnt have any supplemental light and are thriving on ambient light in my living room*

Pothos do so well when they climb but we almost always see/ use them as hanging plants. But you got a b e a Utiful plant there. If you need to trim it or any breaks off when your cleaning it or planting it save them clippings they propagate sooo easily in water. And can live in water for some time very happily.

Since my previous posts I have purchased a jungle dawn led and replaced the two sansi 70 leds I had on the enclosure top. The visible light color is cooler on jungle dawn and it seems to emit less heat for what it's worth. Haven't had it long enough to report how the plants like it.

Last edited:
Pothos are a fairly hearty plant and will really appreciate any supplemental light. Not familiar with that exact led but at 20$ it's worth giving it a shot.

Pothos do so well when they climb but we almost always see/ use them as hanging plants. But you got a b e a Utiful plant there. If you need to trim it or any breaks off when your cleaning it or planting it save them clippings they propagate sooo easily in water. And can live in water for some time very happily.

Since my previous posts I have purchased a jungle dawn led and replaced the two sansi 70 leds I had on the enclosure top. The visible light color is cooler on jungle dawn and it seems to emit less heat for what it's worth. Haven't had it long enough to report how the plants like it.
I have 2 other pothos and I use those as hanging ones I’ve been waiting for the one lower down one to grow so I can trail his vines up but he hasn’t really been growing it’s very healthy it just doesn’t get new leaves but the one that does get a ton of light exposure grows like a weed so I figure I need a light plus when I get a ficus I’m sure that guy will appreciate it! Do you have a link to the one that produces less heat that you mentioned by any chance? And I will definitely be propagating as I’m trying to make the entire room covered in plants so I can eventually let fig have free roam time. I don’t socialize with him much bc he’s grumpy so I’m gonna try and work on him by letting him crawl on the plants that I’m putting in the room!

Here are links to the two leds I've used
https://www.amazon.com/Jungle-Dawn-Watt-Terrarium-Light/dp/B005FUY5AQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?adgrpid=111034498530&gclid=CjwKCAiAh9qdBhAOEiwAvxIok2u2yetDSxia17U4DBlkOUvioJ63ORtsGztGwQo4u2k02A9ZuUz4rBoCg9gQAvD_BwE&hvadid=489131713350&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=1013542&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=15091853863115395294&hvtargid=kwd-899284596184&hydadcr=15092_11421795&keywords=jungle+dawn+led+bar&qid=1672956080&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.d977788f-1483-4f76-90a3-786e4cdc8f10

This one has some lower prices but options are sold out

https://tamura-designs.com/products/jungle-dawn-led-bar?variant=41559474110616

The other light ive used and had great success growing everything from nepenthes, staghorns philodendron Hoya and more with is the sansi 70w

Had the sansi for a while and always have had great luck and positive results with the plants using them and like the design it can be hung and has a adjustable angle to them.
And they are having a massive sale (maybe free shipping?)

https://www.sansiled.com/collections/60w-100w-grow-lamps-us/products/70w-led-grow-light
Also available on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/SANSI-Daylight-Lights-Indoor-Plants/dp/B07TKKG8Q3/ref=sxts_rp_s_a_sp_1_0?adgrpid=105762052454&content-id=amzn1.sym.e1d0fd65-dbff-454d-9e35-926f4c285911:amzn1.sym.e1d0fd65-dbff-454d-9e35-926f4c285911&cv_ct_cx=sansi+grow+light+70w&gclid=CjwKCAiAh9qdBhAOEiwAvxIokwSKT5FjpOlUvSpu1bwpcNvmu99dCwiFIVVj0ulYGp4X5jy-yRcrAhoCyQsQAvD_BwE&hvadid=457288989997&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=1013542&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=6110197646432999267&hvtargid=kwd-943423374904&hydadcr=5626_9612669&keywords=sansi+grow+light+70w&pd_rd_i=B07TKKG8Q3&pd_rd_r=4f562797-0381-4711-96cc-0253e12fd45a&pd_rd_w=rYfDB&pd_rd_wg=OloHb&pf_rd_p=e1d0fd65-dbff-454d-9e35-926f4c285911&pf_rd_r=3V8FD9PBPY5MJK63360Y&qid=1672956298&sr=1-1-3a65484d-1c95-4bed-b564-9469fdeef107&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.d977788f-1483-4f76-90a3-786e4cdc8f10

These do cost significantly more but will almost assure positive outcomes with all your plants

Back
Top Bottom