New to this!

chambarb

I have never purchased a chameleon, but was thinking about getting a veiled. I bought a book, googled it, and am now reading this site. How happy are you with your pet? Do they really not like to be held? I'm not talking about holding it for hours every day, but how often can you hold them? I love just watching them also! Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forums! My veiled George runs and hides every time I approach his cage, even to feed him. And I haven't reached in to grab him in I don't know how many months and he still darts for cover. My others don't hide, they let you approach them and stare at them for hours. There are some chams that are more sociable and will allow you to hold them, but don't expect it or you'll be disappointed! But I love my chameleons!! They are absolutely fascinating to watch, even if you can't interact with them. I always wanted one since I was little and I'm not a bit disappointed in finally having them. But I'd suggest lots of research before getting one as they can be tricky. These forums are a trasure trove of information from extremely knowledgeable people with a lot of experience so you shouldn't have any problem finding the info you need! And if you have any questions we'll be happy to answer them. :)

IMO chameleons should not be held. I don't think there are any reptiles that enjoy contact with humans. As a display pet, I don't think there is any animal that comes close to a chameleon.

I know there are people that swear up and down their chameleon loves them, etc. etc. But I think those are just really tolerant chameleons.

IMO chameleons should not be held. I don't think there are any reptiles that enjoy contact with humans. As a display pet, I don't think there is any animal that comes close to a chameleon.

I know there are people that swear up and down their chameleon loves them, etc. etc. But I think those are just really tolerant chameleons.

Very well said! The only difference in opinion I have is that their are other lizards that don't mind human contact-like iguanas, but as for chameleons I could not agree more.

As said here-chances are your chameleon will "hate" you and will attempt to bite you, so you learn how to handle them for cage cleanings (a few times a year for a deep clean) or for emergenices/injuries/vet visits.

You also need to understand the amount of daily care. With a decent amount of money you can automate lights and watering systems, but you still have to take care of feeders, daily feeding, watering, etc.

Welcome, this is a great place to research and we are happy to answer any questions.

Oh I don't know about iguanas liking human contact!! They are start off "sweet" because they recognize they're smaller than you and are too scared to do anything about it. Once they hit puberty and their full size they turn into monsters almost without exception. I hear of a sweet one here and there, but for the most part definitely not. And a 4-5ft lizard with razor teeth, sharp claws and a whip tail that can cut skin that hates you is no picnic. ;) Luckily mine realized a long time ago that she doesn't scare me. But I'm the only one who can handle her at all.

Now beardies truly seem to enjoy interaction, and some geckos are great for lots of handling as well. Just fwiw. :)

Their solitary animals in the wild so it's likely most don't care to be handled. Mine usually "runs" [very slowly] when we try to handle him, EXCEPT when it's feeding time. Then he uses you like a tree limb to get to the crickets. Providing a proper enviornment for them is crucial for success. Large cage in a quiet area [up high], uvb and basking lights, misting, and proper food [crickets, for staple, waxworms, etc for treats] and supplements [don't overdo this]. If you don't get it right [light, diet] they may look great for quite a while then go downhill fast. Get a captive bred from a good breeder [site sponser would be nice] to avoid parasites and other health issues and your good to go. No other animal is more interesting to watch. Post some pics.

Thanks guys!

I appreciate the feedback. I'm really not interested in owning any other type of reptile. I enjoy watching chameleons, and I like how slow they move. I'm still leaning towards getting one. If I do, I will definitely post pics!

Back
Top Bottom