New to the forums

flapnecksrule

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and to chameleons in general, but I'm a 15 year veteran to owning and caring for reptiles. I just got back from the Orlando show and I came back with a Flap-neck Chameleon. I have some pics posted (which aren't that great), I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is a male or a female??? I'm not to sure how to tell. Anyway it seems really healthy, it was eating mealworms on the car ride home and then i put a few crickets in the cage when i got everything setup and it gobbled down about 3 of them...so that definatly made me happy to see that...i bought a ficus tree and a hibiscus tree and put them in new soil. i don't have a misting system or anything i have just been using a spray bottle for now. does anyone know how to make those drip systems??well any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Attachments

• 000_0230.jpg
    000_0230.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 153
  • 000b0320.jpg
    000b0320.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 181
  • 000_0324.jpg
    000_0324.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 223
  • 000_0232.jpg
    000_0232.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 189
I've got a little female Flapneck and I think she's the neatest little thing. Her behaviours are very different from the other types of chameleons I've kept.

If I had to guess the sex on your critter, I would say male because of the thicker tail base. Some, but not all, sub-species of the dilepis have tarsal spurs on their hind feet, signifying male. Here is an excellent article on Flapneck family and their care: http://chameleonnews.com/?page=article&id=49 That should get you started with your new pet.

Welcome to the forums! I'm looking forward to hearing your experiences with the dilepis.

Cheers!
Trace

Back
Top Bottom