New to the Forum

chamimom

Hi, Everyone! I just signed up here a few days ago and wanted to say hi. I have my first veiled chameleon, a female named Genesis, who is hanging out on her favorite place on top of her enclosure door. I am not sure how old she is. She hasn't developed the mustard yellow yet. I am thinking maybe 5-6 months. She's about 7-8 inches from head to tail, I think. We have a larger Dragon Strand enclosure on the way for her. We are trying to breed crickets, and although I have had success keeping the adult ones alive so far, I'm not sure if they are laying eggs or not. But my son has a baby bearded dragon, too, so between the two lizards, we go through the crickets quite quickly--hence trying to breed them :).

Attachments

• IMG_4800.JPG
    IMG_4800.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 73
Welcome to the forums! Your female will love the larger cage coming for her - I have 3 chameleons (2 veileds, and a panther), and they all use every bit of the space in the Large Dragon Strand Atriums that they have. Feel free to ask any questions you need, we are all here to help.

Thank you!!! I'm so happy to finally be on one of these! Being a new chami companion can be a bit overwhelming, haha.

Your female will love the larger cage coming for her - I have 3 chameleons (2 veileds, and a panther), and they all use every bit of the space in the Large Dragon Strand Atriums that they have.

Yeah, she has been trying to go up higher, and I have been letting her out frequently. Even though she looks smaller to me, I think she doesn't like how small her enclosure is. The new enclosure is supposed to arrive any day now. By the way, I am CRAZY about the panthers now! I may have to get one down the road!

I do have a question for people. I'm not sure if this is the place to ask or not, but when people free range their chameleons, how do their chamis get enough UVB and heat? Genesis keeps wanting to come out and climb all over her ficus tree, but she wants to be there all day, and I have no UVB bulb for her there, and it's really worrisome.

I free range and use to have trees with lights hanging over them but now I have chameleon condos. You can see the condos in the link below. If you just want to let your chameleon hang out an hour or so a day you might not have to have lights, but I would at least have a basking light so your chameleon can stay warm. I think having a warm spot help to keep them from roaming. Mine often want to roam everywhere when they are young so my husband makes corals to put around the bottom so we can keep them safe.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...e-chameleon-condos-with-drainage-pans.146593/

Oh, goodness, @jannb, those are so awesome!!! I mean, I have no words for something that awesome, because awesome doesn't begin to describe it!! I showed my husband, and he thinks he can set something like that up. Are the vines real or fake, and what plants are in the top pots? My girl doesn't wonder very much. As long as she has a plant and branches outside of her enclosure, she's very happy. For now, I flipped the UVB upside down, because when she would see me enter the room, she would come up to the door of her enclosure and stare at me. That's how she "asks" to be let out. I put her plant above her enclosure for now and flipped her UVB light. I have a space heater running and her mister goes off every couple of hours for four minutes. I have a design in mind for "her room," and I am definitely incorporating what you have set up there and will make sure to have the heat lamp! I'm SO excited about this project! I love working on these types of things so much. I really should have geared my college days towards working in a zoo!

Back
Top Bottom