New to the forum! Could I get some advice?

camjo

Hello!
I joined because my sister is getting a Veiled Chameleon for her dorm. Actually, I think one of her roommates is getting it, but they all agree with the idea. Luckily, they didn't impulse buy and came to me for research since I'm just the kind of person who researches animals for fun. I want the best life for all pets and enjoy learning about them.
I don't know much about chameleons- i'm more of a small-pet gal myself- but I was hoping you guys could help me find some good resources like youtubers and websites and posts on this forum to look at. I'm sorry if there's already a post with these things.
I just want whats best for this future pet, and to let them know how to take care of it.
Thanks in advance!

Hello!
I joined because my sister is getting a Veiled Chameleon for her dorm. Actually, I think one of her roommates is getting it, but they all agree with the idea. Luckily, they didn't impulse buy and came to me for research since I'm just the kind of person who researches animals for fun. I want the best life for all pets and enjoy learning about them.
I don't know much about chameleons- i'm more of a small-pet gal myself- but I was hoping you guys could help me find some good resources like youtubers and websites and posts on this forum to look at. I'm sorry if there's already a post with these things.
I just want whats best for this future pet, and to let them know how to take care of it.
Thanks in advance!
So dorm life may not be a good option for a chameleon. I personally would advice against it. Veileds typically are not friendly. Having people come in and out and lights going on and off all hours of the night will do nothing but cause stress. They also take up quite a bit of room as you need a 2x2x4 enclosure for them. They are not a simple animal you have to provide the correct everything or the animal declines until it dies.

If they are dead set on it then to do it right they can refer to this site. https://chameleonacademy.com/
and specifically this husbandry program there. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

@Beman
Thank you so much! They seemed pretty set on it but I don't think they realize how much work a chameleon is! I'll provide them with the info, and see if they think they can handle it.
Is there a pet that you think would be better suited for that environment? They are very responsible people but Id like to show them that there are other, better, options too.
Thanks again!

@Beman
Thank you so much! They seemed pretty set on it but I don't think they realize how much work a chameleon is! I'll provide them with the info, and see if they think they can handle it.
Is there a pet that you think would be better suited for that environment? They are very responsible people but Id like to show them that there are other, better, options too.
Thanks again!
A bearded dragon may be a good option. They like to be held and do not stress the way a chameleon will. With a chameleon they should be prepared to drop at least $1,000. Any reptile is going to mean lots of different insects that they have to feed healthy veg and fruit to make sure they are healthy for the reptile. But honestly I think a fishtank or a small mammal might be much better suited for dorm life lol.

Back
Top Bottom