New to Site -- Need advice on setting up Habitat.

Is the MIST KING 4.0 mist system LARGE enough for a 24x24x48??? Also -- What is the best Thermometer and Humidity Gage to purchase? I see one that says it is a zoo med rep thermo & a humidity gage on sale but not sure if these are cheap and don't work well ? Ordering my habitat as we speak and trying to throw in a couple of other items on sale.

You can get the starter kit for Mist King. I comes with the pump, controller, hose, clips, bulkhead for a reservoir and one nozzle. You will need a bucket to hold water and a drill to install the bulkhead. Very easy to install and set up. I got the starter kit and ordered an extra nozzle and T-fitting for my chameleon enclosure. I now run both my chameleon enclosure and dart frog enclosure off the same pump. Just had to buy a few fittings, extra hose and nozzle for the frogs.

To measure temps I use a laser temp gun from my local hardware store. I find them to be more accurate and reliable than the zoo-med products.

So excited. I am committed now and just took my first step!!!!! I just ordered by Zoo Med Reptibreeze 2x2x4 screen cage. Ordered some hanging vines. Saving more money and will order my lighting and mist system, the rest in decor. Then of course, my panther cham when ready!

So excited. I am committed now and just took my first step!!!!! I just ordered by Zoo Med Reptibreeze 2x2x4 screen cage. Ordered some hanging vines. Saving more money and will order my lighting and mist system, the rest in decor. Then of course, my panther cham when ready!

That's the one I ordered too. I got it for $85 on Amazon. Going to get a set of dragon ledges I think. What are you thinking for a misting system? I really like the rain nozzle setup.

That's the one I ordered too. I got it for $85 on Amazon. Going to get a set of dragon ledges I think. What are you thinking for a misting system? I really like the rain nozzle setup.
Yes, I ordered it from CBReptile.com for $88. Amazon was sold out. And I am going to get the Mist King from them in a week or so. They had it for $129. I also ordered some dragon ledges. Bill also has the drainage trays heavy duty that fit the Reptibreeze, except, I don't think he has them in sizes for 18" only instead of the 24". So I have a message to him to see if that is correct. If he does, I am going to order the heavy duty drainage tray and drill some 1/8" holes in the bottom of the reptibreeze to keep it working correctly. We will see. Spoke with Todd and he is awesome!!! Still going to price out the lighting but I know what I want now. My husband is VP for an electrical company so I am going to see what he can get me in the way of 24" fixtures first and bulbs. We will see. So its officiall! Sounds like we are committed now since we made our orders! Stay in touch and we can see what does and doesn't work. So do you know what cham you are going to get?

Hello everyone -- I am new to this site. I do not own a cham yet, but plan on raising a panther cham (male) soon. I am making sure I am completely prepared for him and want to setup the ideal habitat and make sure the humidity is right and ready first and that is functions as it should. With that said, I have been doing my research and have a couple of questions and would like some input........ I found a habitat that I like that fits the space I am looking to put it in. So my question is --- Is the Exo-Terra LARGE Screen Terrarium 36x18x36 about the same as having a 24x24x48 Zoo Med XL Habitat? (keep in mind, these will be placed off the ground and the bottom will start at 30" high and go up 36 to 48" and I am a short person as well) I am leaning toward the 36x18x36 for both height a width. With that being the one I go with, I would like some advice on how much lighting I need across the width. I know he needs a light for heat source and a UVB for him as well but what I am confused about is - is it necessary to have both day and night lights or is it better to turn light off at night for a panther cham? Please let me know what you recommend.

Well step 1 - get a $10 side table stand on marketplace for your habitat to go on !! 24x26 and matches garden room decor perfectly - cherry wood with iron he’s going to be high class so this will be my BEFORE pic.

So Step 1 - get a side table stand for your display ✅. $10 marketplace solid cherry wood with iron to match the room decor . He is going to be fancy
:D;):)

Attachments

• 0AF41D90-BD4A-4FC2-87B4-89E3DF289F3D.jpeg
    0AF41D90-BD4A-4FC2-87B4-89E3DF289F3D.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 99
So Step 1 - get a side table stand for your display ✅. $10 marketplace solid cherry wood with iron to match the room decor . He is going to be fancy
:D;):)
Time for me to chime in! WOW! I AM IMPRESSED! I have quietly in my corner been observing your growth and development! I am so proud of you! Your knowledge is like a apple tree! You started as a potential loaded little seed, eager to sprout and grow! Now you are a nice young tree that will soon be baring your own fruit! I just want to say that your little guy will be a very lucky little chameleon! Never stop growing and learning and please always share your discoveries with others! Proud of you!!!

Time for me to chime in! WOW! I AM IMPRESSED! I have quietly in my corner been observing your growth and development! I am so proud of you! Your knowledge is like a apple tree! You started as a potential loaded little seed, eager to sprout and grow! Now you are a nice young tree that will soon be baring your own fruit! I just want to say that your little guy will be a very lucky little chameleon! Never stop growing and learning and please always share your discoveries with others! Proud of you!!!
Awww -- Matt you made my day! Thanks for much for your vote of confidence! I will be in touch soon. Have more questions for you. Also -- I should have said Step 2 - Order your habitat! I actually did that first, so that is in processing. I have already ordered my marine vinyl gauge, my drippers, my thermometer, my hanging vines and some branches, and I have 3 pothos ivy, ready to go, am looking for a sheffelera. Will be ordering my lights from Todd, already spoke to him! So I am on a roll. I will be in touch soon.

So -- here is my next question weighing on my mind ----- I have a totem pole pothos in one container, that I will be transplanting into a larger one, Then, I have 2 smaller pothos in 4" pots. So I am thinking I need to put them in 6 or 8 inch pots to allow room for growth, but then I am trying to figure out, HOW I hang them. I did order a drip easy draining tray and dragon ledges from Bill at Dragonstrand to add to my cage for hanging, but still not quite sure how that is going to work and what else I may need to mount or brace these higher up. Have a lot more to learn still. Also, has anyone ever put live Bamboo in their habitats???? Not seeing that anywhere but I saw some curly green bamboo at our local store this evening.

UPDATE**** Last piece of equipment arrived today! Get to start putting it all together tonight and through the weekend. My baby is coming Tuesday !!!! So excited. Thank you all so much for all of the input and opinions and experiences so far as I have asked a zillion questions I know since I joined this "fabulous forum". I could not have gathered it all and figured it all out without the help I have received on this forum. So grateful to all of you!

Okay - I spent 3 days completing this habitat and getting it all setup and ready for my little guy, "Otto", to arrive on Wednesday! So here it is. This was really alot of fun to put together. Biggest challenge was getting the systems set up and on timers and it working smoothly. But all in all, I am very proud of this! Plants will grow out but it really is full inside the cage. What you cannot see behind the umbrella plants and midsection are several branching glens where he can hide and get away as well.

Attachments

• Ottos Cage 1.jpg
    Ottos Cage 1.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Ottos Cage 3.jpg
    Ottos Cage 3.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Ottos Pic.jpg
    Ottos Pic.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 124
Okay - I spent 3 days completing this habitat and getting it all setup and ready for my little guy, "Otto", to arrive on Wednesday! So here it is. This was really alot of fun to put together. Biggest challenge was getting the systems set up and on timers and it working smoothly. But all in all, I am very proud of this! Plants will grow out but it really is full inside the cage. What you cannot see behind the umbrella plants and midsection are several branching glens where he can hide and get away as well.
Awesome habitat and Otto is gorgeous! It looks like you did a great job doing your research. Good luck with everything!

Also depending on if you like little build projects or not, you can construct your own misting/rain system pretty easily as well. I thought the MistKing was great, but looked like over-kill for my single enclosure. Instead I built a basic rain shower system for like $45. I used a submersible aquatic pump (like this one) which was about $15/$20 then a small reservoir (which right now is a new trash can) then just 1/2" and 1/4" tubing and drip/sprayer nozzles from your local Hardware Store. Then I paired it with a digital timer (like this one) which let's me control when it comes on and for how long each time.

Here is a quick video of it. I'm 100% sure the MistKing is way more awesome, but this is working well for me so far!

Also depending on if you like little build projects or not, you can construct your own misting/rain system pretty easily as well. I thought the MistKing was great, but looked like over-kill for my single enclosure. Instead I built a basic rain shower system for like $45. I used a submersible aquatic pump (like this one) which was about $15/$20 then a small reservoir (which right now is a new trash can) then just 1/2" and 1/4" tubing and drip/sprayer nozzles from your local Hardware Store. Then I paired it with a digital timer (like this one) which let's me control when it comes on and for how long each time.

Here is a quick video of it. I'm 100% sure the MistKing is way more awesome, but this is working well for me so far!

Edit: Also you can easily create more of spray locations, or create a much larger watering "circle" buy just adding/adjusting the tubing.

Back
Top Bottom