New to pigmy looking for advice

brownie64

Avid Member
I'm thinking of jumping into Pigmy chameleons. I have been researching how to care for them, and set up their enclosure. And I have two questions for you if you could help me out I would appreciate it greatly.

1. I want to put a misting system in and would like to know how often, and how long should those misting sessions be?

2. I'm planning to use a Exo Terra 24-18-18 which has the holes at the bottom of the doors for ventilation. So I was wondering if I should also pump air into the enclosure for fresh air?

I kept a pair of pygmies in an exo terra 12x12x18 and a trio in an 18x18x18. No need to push air into those terrariums especially since pygs like it humid anyway. They do great in well planted vivs with lots of little stick 'highways' through the whole thing.

I kept a pair of pygmies in an exo terra 12x12x18 and a trio in an 18x18x18. No need to push air into those terrariums especially since pygs like it humid anyway. They do great in well planted vivs with lots of little stick 'highways' through the whole thing.

Thanks for your help coming from you I take it with great confidence. :D

Bearded pygmys are really fun to keep. I always wanted to make a cool setup with those awesome Biorb aquariums! Ferret is your best source of info on those guys.

Do some research on Dart Frog vivariums, that should help a great deal! They can be as simple or elaborate as you choose. This is a Vivarium i build for a school tearcher a year or so ago..

Attachments

• 20130504_194158.jpg
    20130504_194158.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 353
Anyone have any thoughts on that misting schedule? Being a small tank with limited drainage don't want to drown everything. I know you can't tell me exactly what to make it I just want to know what some of you have done so I can make a more informed decision. :)

Anyone have any thoughts on that misting schedule? Being a small tank with limited drainage don't want to drown everything. I know you can't tell me exactly what to make it I just want to know what some of you have done so I can make a more informed decision. :)
When I had dart frogs I drilled a hole in my aquarium bottom with a tile drill & kerosene to keep the bit cool, if you drill yours take it slow & let the bit do the work! I used a 3/8 ths bit & flared the end of a piece of 3/8 copper tubing & siliconed it in the bottom of the tank!

When I had dart frogs I drilled a hole in my aquarium bottom with a tile drill & kerosene to keep the bit cool, if you drill yours take it slow & let the bit do the work! I used a 3/8 ths bit & flared the end of a piece of 3/8 copper tubing & siliconed it in the bottom of the tank!

Sounds great, but a real scary propasition considering the expense of the enclosure. But you are right I'll probably have to do something like this. And I thought keeping the chams would be a little stressful.

Does anyone here know if the Exo Terra enclosures are tempered if so I wouldn't dream of trying this.

Sounds great, but a real scary propasition considering the expense of the enclosure. But you are right I'll probably have to do something like this. And I thought keeping the chams would be a little stressful.

Does anyone here know if the Exo Terra enclosures are tempered if so I wouldn't dream of trying this.
If its tempered there's a good chance it will shatter! If its tempered you could take the bottom piece of glass off and silicone a new piece of 1/4 inch on and then drill it! If you drill it yourself keep your drill bit speed at a low rpm you don't want any heat buildup in the bit or glass! If you lived close to me I'd drill it for you! If you want a drain I'll make & send you one! Pm me if your interested! Brian!

Make a false bottom with plastic egg crate and plumb a small drain bulkheead in..

Attachments

• 20130407_121929.jpg
    20130407_121929.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 310
If its tempered there's a good chance it will shatter! If its tempered you could take the bottom piece of glass off and silicone a new piece of 1/4 inch on and then drill it! If you drill it yourself keep your drill bit speed at a low rpm you don't want any heat buildup in the bit or glass! If you lived close to me I'd drill it for you! If you want a drain I'll make & send you one! Pm me if your interested! Brian!

Should I use something like this:

Attachments

• 41Ta7J1CKpL__SY300_.jpg
    41Ta7J1CKpL__SY300_.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 287
Here's a drain I just made this morning!

Attachments

• IMG_20151107_111021_583.jpg
    IMG_20151107_111021_583.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom