New to me Chams, I believe this one is dehydrated

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled, male I believe, unknown age. Have had him 1 week.
Handling - I have not been until today I put my hand in and he took my finger with his front leg as if "shaking hands" I left it there until he moved his.
Feeding - He is not eating. He had crickets in his cage when I received him, I counted and waited, he didn't eat those so I removed them. Gave 2 more that were smaller and gut loaded with Cricket Monster and dusted with Miner-All by Sticky Tongues. He did not eat those. They are still in there, plan to remove them tomorrow if he still doesn't eat.
Supplements - I do not have a schedule yet, have been rotating the dusting of calcium or Miner-All until I read on here the frequency of how to use those. But he wasn't eating anyhow.
Watering - I have a pump- hand held mister that I am using morning, afternoon, evening but stopping about 7 p.m. Yes, I do see him drinking off the leaves and also he comes up to the point of cage where I am misting and opens his mouth for water.
Fecal Description - Dark brown, formed, with a tiny white blob at the end. Has not been tested for parasites.
History - When I received him, his plant "cane palm" was dried and dead. He was pacing the floor. I have removed that plant, cleaned the floor, bought him a new plant. New plant was toxic, found out that evening, removed it and he now has a small pothos at the bottom and a fake vine with plastic leaves at the top.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen 31" tall, 17x17". I've been told recently to upgrade it.
Lighting - CFL UVB with clamp, learned from here that I need to change that. Lights are on 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Temperature - Averages have been 80-86 due to summer weather. I have the window cracked for ventilation to the room. I have a digital thermostat in the room. Ceiling fan is on low at 4 p.m. - evening for circulation.
Humidity - Purchased digital hydrometer today. This evening it has been in 30-35% range.
Plants - Live and plastic. Live is small 4" pothos that I just got him.
Placement - Cage is located in spare bedroom. There is a ceiling fan that I have on low in the afternoon if the room is too hot. It could be considered a high traffic area as it is near the computer where I sit. During the day there is no traffic but in the evening I am near it. Top of cage is same level as top of desk. 31" tall, 17x17".
Location - Where are you geographically located? Northern CO

Current Problem - This veiled chameleon has me concerned. He seems skinny to me, I have not witnessed him eating, he is very thirsty any time I mist he drinks it off the leaves (fake and real) and even tilts his head up to the mister. I am spraying him because he seems so desperate for it. Is there anything else I can do to help him recover from this dehydration? Could the dehydration be what's preventing him from eating? I do see his tongue come out during his drinking and he has opened his mouth VERY wide for me during a hissing session (he was mad as I removed his old plant) and I did not see anything unusual in his mouth, it opened very wide.

I am attaching pictures as well. I have another cham, a female panther, she is eating only two crickets a day, that I also think is dehydrated. (received from same owner same time)

Attachments

• Jolly7-01-10 008.jpg
    Jolly7-01-10 008.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 200
  • Jolly7-01-10 011.jpg
    Jolly7-01-10 011.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 179
  • Jolly7-01-10 012.jpg
    Jolly7-01-10 012.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Jolly 7-01-10 009.jpg
    Jolly 7-01-10 009.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 114
If you feel he is dehydrated you could always give him a nice warm shower for 30 minutes or so. Just mist 3-4 times a day for 5 minutes each. You should also have a calcium supplement with d3 and should only be using that and the miner-all twice a month so alternate them both every sunday. Use just the calcium 5x a week or 3x a week since he is an adult. I beleive they eat every other day too so he mey have not been hungry. Also get a new uvb bulb as soon as possible, get the 5.0 linear uvb bulb.

I would treat that as a dehydrated chameleon, definitely.

Thompson has given you good advice. The only thing I'd add is that, unless you have one of the low flow "misty" shower heads, you should point the spray to a shower wall and let the water "bounce" off onto your chameleon. Oh,and if you can't put his cage in the shower, then get a safe potted plant and put him on the plant in the shower.

I will say that it takes them time to adjust to change so the fact you've only seen him eat 2 crickets in the week you have had him doesn't seem that huge. Adult veileds can go several days without eating. I think some people even do that deliberately to get them thinking "hungry hunter" again.

I don't like the way he's holding his head up in the air.

Any evidence that he (or the insects) nibbled on the toxic plant??
Have you tried turning off the cfl?

When you are misting him be careful that he doesn't aspirate the water. (BTW...he doesn't look dehydrated to me...however the showering won't hurt him.)

He hasn't eaten at all in the week I've had him. At least, as of this writing. I did not see him nibble the plant, it is possible, but if the crickets did he didn't eat the crickets anyhow.

Thanks for the shower tip. I have not been misting for 5 min sessions, sounds like I need to increase my misting time. I'm keeping a journal on each Cham so maybe I can start seeing the patterns of their eating/drinking and what their poop looks like, right now its all new.

Every chameleon is different. Some will start drinking when you refill the dripper...others will wait until you've drenched the entire enclosure. You just have to find out what chameleon you have.

My view on "misting" is "make the cage drip!"...I want water coming off the ceiling and dripping off the plants. That, to me, is a misted cage. I don't know how others feel about that.

Don't plan on them eating plants...keep the insects coming. Yes, veiled will chomp on greens but that's sort of secondary. Insects need to be happening.

It can take a week for an adult chameleon to recover from being moved. While you need to be concerned about food intake, you also need to be a bit understanding of the stress the animal is feeling.

You can try other feeders if crickets aren't doing the trick.

I would also try feeding other insects. The previous owner may have only used crickets and he may be bored of them. Try superworms, (occationally) mealworms, roaches, mantids, stick bugs, silkworms, hornworms, house flies, blue bottle flies, non toxic moths and butterflies, non toxic grasshoppers, and/or snails. Do not feed wild caught snails, flies, or hornworms. Do not feed wild caught insects that are not from a pesticide and fertilizer free area.

I don't like the way he's holding his head up in the air.

Any evidence that he (or the insects) nibbled on the toxic plant??
Have you tried turning off the cfl?

When you are misting him be careful that he doesn't aspirate the water. (BTW...he doesn't look dehydrated to me...however the showering won't hurt him.)

Linda, I think his head is up because he has it resting on the side of the cage. :eek:

He looks dehydrated to me... be sure to mist often and all over the leaves so he can drink. Drippers are a great idea... so are automated misting systems.

If you feel it is dehydrated, continue to offer lots of water (mist and drippers), and offer "juicy" prey such as hornworms and silkworms. You can also inject extra water into some roaches (and they will still live long enough to be eaten usually) and ensure your gutload includes lots of fruit.

Every chameleon is different. Some will start drinking when you refill the dripper...others will wait until you've drenched the entire enclosure. You just have to find out what chameleon you have.

My view on "misting" is "make the cage drip!"...I want water coming off the ceiling and dripping off the plants. That, to me, is a misted cage. I don't know how others feel about that.

I agree with your idea of a misted cage. The more drips the more stimulation to drink.

Remember, a dehydrated cham won't eat. They are not feeling well, stress is preoccupying them, and their tongue isn't as "sticky". This can discourage them from even trying to shoot at prey. It is more important to get him drinking first anyway.

summoner12...I looked at the pictures again and I think you are right about it resting its chin on the cage screen.

Back
Top Bottom