New to Chameleons

dubsak

I had a jacksons chameleon and he had recently passed. I had bought a new chameleon named dub from a friend and he has everything set up perfect. He is a veiled chameleon and loved being handled with his previous owner. I've had him for about 4 days now and he isnt to fond of me or my fiance yet. He seems curious and is constantly playing an eye game with me, hell creep close to me and when i look he will look away, its funny to me but i am not sure if thats just his way of getting used to me. He is still darker colors from moving homes. I am curious if he will warm up to me. He is always watching me and will get close to me but isnt ready for me to hold him. Before bed he let me pet him but I think he was tired and didnt really know. I havent changed any of his schedules feeding or lights or misting so I am not sure what more actions I can take to help him feel more comfortable in his new home. I read on another thread that chameleons take a week or so to get used to a new home, is that so for a new owner? Like i previously stated he was handled daily with his previous owner so I hope he will warm up to us, hes such a cutie.

He is a veiled chameleon and loved being handled with his previous owner. I've had him for about 4 days now and he isnt to fond of me or my fiance yet. I am curious if he will warm up to me. He is always watching me and will get close to me but isnt ready for me to hold him. Before bed he let me pet him but I think he was tired and didnt really know. I havent changed any of his schedules feeding or lights or misting so I am not sure what more actions I can take to help him feel more comfortable in his new home. I read on another thread that chameleons take a week or so to get used to a new home, is that so for a new owner? Like i previously stated he was handled daily with his previous owner so I hope he will warm up to us, hes such a cutie.

Most chams don't really like to be petted. Touching can be interpreted as a threat. As we don't know just what he tolerated by his previous owner that's a bit hard to say. Four days isn't very long and we all know chams don't like changes. If you start offering him favorite foods by hand that will help. If the cage door is open and he comes to the front as if he wants out, you can offer him your hand to climb on voluntarily. Once he recognizes you as non threatening he may be as social with you as he was before. There's no need to rush things.

Most chams don't really like to be petted. Touching can be interpreted as a threat. As we don't know just what he tolerated by his previous owner that's a bit hard to say. Four days isn't very long and we all know chams don't like changes. If you start offering him favorite foods by hand that will help. If the cage door is open and he comes to the front as if he wants out, you can offer him your hand to climb on voluntarily. Once he recognizes you as non threatening he may be as social with you as he was before. There's no need to rush things.

I agree 100% do as carlton stated and he should warm up my panther lovesto be held if he sees me open the door he runs to the entrace and climbs all over me

I kinda get a kick outta "petting" reptiles, it's it a word I've really associated with them. But I do have a funny story my Cham kinda likes that in a since if I put my hand in her enclosure she will some times rub up against it like a cat it was really strange I'm sure she may just be scratching a itch but it is kinda cool to see! And now not so off topic it took her about 3 weeks for her to settle in but she was also at a pet store where she was groped daily. :(

I just recently moved with my male veiled. Just moving to a new home same cage,people,pets,plants, everything he is used to seeing and it still took him about a week or so to start actin normal again.

Back
Top Bottom