New to Chameleons

newchammom

Hello everyone. I recently acquired a female? chameleon after waiting years and years to have one. I've got all the food, vitamins, calcium, d3 etc. I've had her for about a month now, since she's been with me she has shed once. I wouldn't wager by her size that's she's more than 3 months old-if that. I know that glass cages aren't recommended for chameleons but for now its what I have. I've got a small fan placed near the top of the cage to help circulate the air. I'm using a reptisun 500 75 watt bulb for heating/UVB purposes and a regular heat lamp for basking(generally only on her during the day for about 4-6 hours. I feed dubia roaches, crickets and millworms. I recently learned that mill worms are high in fat and should only be used as treats. Dubia roaches and crickets are lightly dusted with d3 at every feeding(once per day). I mist the cage myself 3 times a day. She has two live plants as well as plastic pants and twigs to climb on. I am writing because for about 3 days now, Cam has been acting a little different. When she is on her branches or my hand/finger she's laying and not putting much weight on her legs. When I pick her up sometimes she pulls her back legs up and almost over her back and keeps them there for a minute. She usually puts them down after I have stroked her tail for a bit. She acts like she is partially paralyzed but then comes out of it very quickly. Her color looks good and she's eating and drinking alright. Her fecal matter looks alright too (as far as I can tell). I'm just concerned about the fact that she's not climbing around in the cage or in my hand like she use to do. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20140326_194408.jpg
    20140326_194408.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 121
  • cam.jpg
    cam.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Looks like you have a brand new male veiled, you can tell that by the little nub on his back foot. As far as your question you should only be feeding your cham crickets with d3 roughly 2 times a month I usually do it every other week and then dust lightly with calcium w/o d3. What type of uvb are you using, for me I use a reptisun 5.0 uvb the tube variaety vs the bulb as I heard that they didn't really work as well. If he looks good, is eating and drinking good, and not falling off the branches or you're not finding him at the bottom of the enclosure it is in pretty decent shape. I would keep a close watch on it though he could take a turn. If he loses more strength, doesn't eat, and looks stressed or is always brown I would seek the advice of a vet.

Getting Better

Cam has been doing wonderful since my last post. She/he has shed again and has resumed natural eating/drinking habits. I went to a pet store to buy vitamins w/o d3 and they carry them to feed THEIR chams but don't sell it to anyone. Any ideas on where to get it?

And I swore up and down that my chameleon was a boy but the pet store I got her from swears up and down she's a female. But if you think he looks like a boy then a boy he is! Lol.

Cam has been doing wonderful since my last post. She/he has shed again and has resumed natural eating/drinking habits. I went to a pet store to buy vitamins w/o d3 and they carry them to feed THEIR chams but don't sell it to anyone. Any ideas on where to get it?

And I swore up and down that my chameleon was a boy but the pet store I got her from swears up and down she's a female. But if you think he looks like a boy then a boy he is! Lol.

Definitely a boy....psychobunny is totally right. Online.

In my area the chain stores don't carry the calcium without d3 for some unknown reason. I get it from one of the site sponsors listed at the top of the classified section. I have used Coastal Silkworms,Josh's frogs and Lll reptile to name a few. Good luck with your new Cham.

Petco

Petco is the pet store that carries it for the chameleons they sell but they don't sell it for the people that buy the chameleons, which I think is crap but oh well.

Back
Top Bottom