New to chameleons, need help after failure

I think it depends on the dome. If it keeps the bulb well away from the lip of the dome, then it might be okay to put it right on the top of a screened cage.

However, there's a big caveat here. She has a Reptarium. Maybe they make screen cages, but mine are mesh and I don't recommend putting anything, especially not a light on a mesh top. I say this for two reasons. 1) Eventually they sag and 2) the chameleon can easily push the mesh up quite a bit. If the bulb is 2 inches above the mesh, a good size chameleon on a high perch could easily touch the bulb.

Yes it is the mesh and PVC pipe one, with the zipper. I actually really like it, and it was very cheap but seems of great quality.

What I am going to try and do is install the shelf up high, put the reptarium on it and run an extension cord up the wall, and hang the lamps 2-3 inches above the reptarium with a hook on the ceiling. I think that would work pretty well.

If you are getting a veiled then he is going to need a much larger cage when he is older so take that into account when working out where to put his cage. I also cannot imagine a cham being happy in an area with a load of cats but i dont have a cat so i dont really know.

I know that Meller's aren't happy near cats. I had to move mine to my bedroom, because he watched them in fear and hid constantly.

Hello, I am back :eek: The seller had agreed to replace my chameleon on Monday via email, and I responded back and haven't heard back. As I type I have a family member installing the shelf for the reptarium so that when I do get a new one it will be all set up...

At one point do I really start bugging them? I am just worried they are going to try and blow me off =/ If nothing else I'll just have to see what reptile shows they will be at next in the area and find them and demand a replacement in person since they DID agree for one...:confused:

ETA

photo03021128.jpg

this should do, right?

Back
Top Bottom