New to Chameleons. Introducing Yosh

oh man I hope he does not have mbd already. I just got him from a pet store a couple weeks ago. I could imagine they didn't take the best care of him. Hopefully if he does have it I can get it to stop. I tried to take some more pics so maybe someone can tell for sure if he has it? ... Also this week he has had this white crystal looking stuff around his nose. its different than his dead skin which is still on the top of his head. I just quick read online that it is ok and not to worry, is that true?

5agppw.jpg

29pri3t.jpg

I am fairly certain that the white around the nose is just excess salts given out through the nose...correct me if I am wrong, fellow forum members.

Though I do notice the curvature in his front legs at least, the casque looks to be a bit underdeveloped for the maturity level in his coloring.

Glad to be speaking to a caring forum member. I know you will do the right thing to correct his supplemental schedule etc to help out his calcium situation. :)

I got the repti-glo 5.0 for his UVB. And am using the Exo-terra brand pure calcium everyday of the week on his crickets and meal-worms. I have only had him 2 weeks, but i also got the Calcium+D3 which i have only used 2 days so far, as well as the muti-vitamin which i have used on two days as well. he doesn't seem to eat that many crickets because i think alot of them are hiding in his cage where he cant get them. i am working to fix this. he really likes to eat the meal worms which I put on a spoon and dust w the calcium. he will eat like 5 of these in a row, but they are not gut loaded. Whats the best way to do this? He also really likes the fresh dandelion leafs. he will munch these as soon as i put them in his cage.

Congratulations on the new veiled chameleon and we are very happy that you are on the forums with us! :)

I did skim the posts and like most of the advice in which you are receiving.

However, does anyone else notice the curvature in his front arms from the photo(s)?

I skimmed quickly through the posts but I do not believe anyone has mentioned it.

This is a sign of Metabolic Bone Disease (lack of dietary calcium). Not cure-able, but can be helped. Correcting his supplementation is the way to go, along with properly gutloading your feeders, providing a varied diet, and switching out his UVB source every 6 months or so for preferred output.

I admire that you are asking the appropriate questions and again am very happy to have you on the forum with us :)

Chelsea

Im certain thats mbd. :( I totally agree with you.

damn! How bad is his condition? Can it be corrected if I just provide correct nutrition and light? Or do I need to do something else to help him?

Please don't panic. MBD can be stopped and with the correct diet and supplements and food it shouldn't get any worse.

thanks Kate. I will just keep doing what I have been. I guess I could go back and complain to the place where I got him. But a vet bill would likely be more money than I have spent on my whole setup+ the Cham, so that just isnt an option. Oh and Chamelonowner32 take your childish trolling elsewhere. ;)

thanks Kate. I will just keep doing what I have been. I guess I could go back and complain to the place where I got him. But a vet bill would likely be more money than I have spent on my whole setup+ the Cham, so that just isnt an option. Oh and Chamelonowner32 take your childish trolling elsewhere. ;)

Exactly why people like you shouldn't have chams. It would be around 80-100 bucks, dont make him suffer from your mistakes.

Conrad,

Your chameleon has obvious fractures on both forearms, which is very likely the result of low bone density stemming from some form of MBD. A veterinary visit is the best way to determine exactly what has caused his MBD and how to fix it. This is not something that would have happened over the last few weeks, so you definitely have a case to return the animal to where you got it, but either way, the animal will need to have specific steps taken to correct the issue if it is going to survive long term.

Additionally, you and chameleonowner32 both need to watch your tones. Chameleonowner32 was trying to help you and does not deserve the response you gave.

Chris

Well I fully intend to do whatever needs to be done To help little Yosh. If I can really get him to the vet for a decent price, that is fine but my experience with dogs is that vets are not cheap, and they really don't offer much good advice beyond a google search, but they can prescribe needed medication. I only paid $75 dollars for Yosh so I hate to put a dollar amount on him but Im not going to spend say, $600. And Im not going to give up and drop- $350 for a panther baby online that gets shipped to me in the mail. I got him because I could bring him home that day and I worried about shipping a chameleon. So If I really do need to take him to a vet I will do so, but i would like to know for sure that is my only option... and for Cham32 if you call me a homie I have no respect for you. I take that as a straight insult and have no patience for that crap, so bug-off "homie"

Well I fully intend to do whatever needs to be done To help little Yosh. If I can really get him to the vet for a decent price, that is fine but my experience with dogs is that vets are not cheap, and they really don't offer much good advice beyond a google search, but they can prescribe needed medication. I only paid $75 dollars for Yosh so I hate to put a dollar amount on him but Im not going to spend say, $600. And Im not going to give up and drop- $350 for a panther baby online that gets shipped to me in the mail. I got him because I could bring him home that day and I worried about shipping a chameleon. So If I really do need to take him to a vet I will do so, but i would like to know for sure that is my only option... and for Cham32 if you call me a homie I have no respect for you. I take that as a straight insult and have no patience for that crap, so bug-off "homie"

That hostility seems a little unnecessary for someone who was just trying to help you. How was he insulting you by giving you the correct course of action to help your chameleon? Because he used a single word that may just be natural in his vocabulary? If you take something like that as an insult because you can't keep in mind that the internet is full of people from different places and cultures, and that something that may normally insult you in person may mean nothing depending on who it's coming, I expect you probably find yourself insulted a lot.

Where I come from the term homie has never been used as a term of disrespect. Does everyone use it? No. But by no means should you be insulted by it. Especially when there was serious advice given, and nothing to indicate any tone of sarcasm or negative intent. Even if it has a different meaning where you come from, again, this is the internet. You need to keep in mind that things aren't always going to be said with the same meaning you assume is intended. If anything, chameleonowner32 has way more ground to be insulted than you do. You just assumed because he used a simple term that his opinion was null and void. This is your first chameleon? That kid probably has more experience than you. Talk about spreading internet negativity.

It would have been one thing to drop it when the mod called you out on it. But to just continue to be rude like that is uncalled for. It's not the kind of negativity these forums need.

Additionally, you and chameleonowner32 both need to watch your tones. Chameleonowner32 was trying to help you and does not deserve the response you gave.

Perhaps I was not clear enough in my above comments, Conrad. What I meant by that is that there was absolutely nothing wrong with what Chameleonowner32 said when he stated "You need a vet homie". Whether or not you respect his choice of words does not matter, because the fact is there is nothing insulting or derogatory about it, and he was correct. He tried to help you and you responded with adolescent angst, at which point he understandably became frustrated. Do not make any additional posts toward Chameleonowner32 or his remark unless it is in the form of an apology for your behavior, or you'll get another infraction.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom