New to chameleon keeping

Classy

Hello! I'm brand new to chameleons, but I've kept many reptiles in the past. I've decided I'm ready for the challenge of keeping one. I've done a lot of research on them so far, but I still have a couple questions. I'm going to get a Veiled Chameleon because I've heard they are one of the best for beginners. First, should I buy a male or a female. I'm getting a 18 x 36 inch screen tank, and I've heard males might need a larger tank. Also, should I use real plants, or would it be fine to just use fake plants. Tell me any other tips I might need to know too :D

For a veiled, you shouldn't use fake plants. My goal in chameleon keeping is to have a thriving ecosystem and chameleon and I think that plants are an important part of that, along with the fact that veileds eat leaves and you don't want them eating plastic. As jannb said, a male would definitely be the best way to start, however an 18x36 won't be large enough. Can you up it to a 24x48?

Just an added note, definitely no problem going with a veiled, but I wouldn't worry so much about what a good beginner lizard would be to start with. They're all more or less hardy when given the correct husbandry. If there is another cham that interests you, look into it's needs and see if you are capable of providing.

Anyway you seem to be off to a good start, welcome to the forum and good luck!!

Yeah that would work. If you can afford it go dragonstrand or build one. The others will do, but if you want something real nice you can go those routes. I personally don't like supporting petco, but I know sometimes there's no other option. I would never suggest buying an animal from there though.

Yeah that would work. If you can afford it go dragonstrand or build one. The others will do, but if you want something real nice you can go those routes. I personally don't like supporting petco, but I know sometimes there's no other option. I would never suggest buying an animal from there though.
I'm not purchasing my chameleon from Petco, I'm getting it from a local reptile shop :D Also that cage is cheaper else where so I'm not getting it from Petco.

Glad to hear, btw didn't mean to come off like I was giving you a hard time. I just hate how petco treats their animals, and then all the managers walk around thinking they know everything.

Hello Classy! Glad you joined us. Getting a male veiled is a great way to go. Jann has provided a lot of excellent information. I would, print and read it a couple time, just to have a good foundation. Lots of us will be happy to answer questions as they occur, and they will! No matter how well you research and prepare never will any of us know it all, come on back with all your questions.

Back
Top Bottom