New to Chameleon Forums

TommyJerzboy

Hi just registered to this great forum and wanted to say hi to everyone. Im a new 2yr old Ambilobe Chameleon that i picked up the june 16, and have a few questions. i owned a veiled about 15 years ago, so im only vaguely familiar with keeping chameleons. so my set up is a screened cage like many of you, with a plant that im thinking about replacing with a hibiscus plant, the twisty vines, and some branches, i have a 5. uvb, 75w blue day & 75w red night i dont use the red night light because the cage is kept in a sun room and stays at a decent temp at night now that we are in summer. i also have a dripper and a fogger that i run from 8am to 8pm but for only 2 hours at a time. so my questions are for a 2yr old ambilobe, how many times a week should i feed him? previous owner told me he feeds 12 crickets or worms only twice a week. is that good or should i add extra days of feeding? also any north nj cham owners in this forum?

Here's a few pics of my set up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 140
Hi welcome to the forums:) We feed our chams every other day 6 crickets or dubia roaches dusted with plain calcium and two times month we dust with calcium D3 and a multivitamin usually do that on the 1st and the 15th of every month. We give them treats 3x a week usually butter, silk or hornworms and wax worms only once in a while. We have a repti-fogger as well. We never use a red heat light at night, even during the cold months as we don't find its necessary. If you replace his plant just make sure that you change the soil so that its organic and doesn't contain any harmful fertilizers in it. I notice you said you have a dripper and a fogger but do you have a mister? He should be misted 3x a day for 5 min sessions to help keep the humidity levels up in the cage. Also make sure to replace his uvb bulb every 6 months. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/
Here is the link to the care sheet for panthers that should be very helpful for you and hopefully answer questions you might have and there are plenty of forum members on here that are very helpful in answering any questions you might have.

Thanks so much for the fast help, ill pick up a mister today didnt think I needed it with the fogger & dripper, but ill most him and the setup today for sure. So only got him a few days ago and when I got to the place he seemed super friendly and even let the owners kid handle him and myself without stressing him out buy since I brought him to my place he's been hissing at me at any attempt to handle him:(

Thanks so much for the fast help, ill pick up a mister today didnt think I needed it with the fogger & dripper, but ill most him and the setup today for sure. So only got him a few days ago and when I got to the place he seemed super friendly and even let the owners kid handle him and myself without stressing him out buy since I brought him to my place he's been hissing at me at any attempt to handle him:(

Your very welcome. I highly recommend the starter Mistking system. Its well worth the money. You will have to order it though so if its possible to hand mist him until it arrives thats your best mister to purchase. We tried others but love this one. Using the dripper is excellent as he will get used to drinking from that and will look forward to that each day. Just give him some time to get adjusted to his new surroundings and he will eventually warm up to you again. It's a stressful time for the cham when he gets put into a new cage. You could try hand feeding him as thats a good way to get him to trust you. Just be patient and he will be fine.

Welcome! There is so many great members on this site with tons of great info. One thing you'll wanna do is add some horizontal branches in your cage for resting places.

Will def look into the mistking also just ran out and picked up a spray bottle and sprayed the setup down, actually he isn't in a new cage I bought him with the entire setup he was in including the fogger dripper and even same live plant. Only I put him in my sun room surrounded the cage with other plants & Only thing diff I did was go out and buy a nice 3 way day/night/UVB light. I run the fogger on every 2hrs then off 2hrs from early in the morning till around 8/9pm, the dripper drips about a drop every 3 sec. This forum is great already thanks for all the hints and very glad the first person that replied is even from nj like me!

Sounds great, only problem with a foger is it can keep things to moist and create bacteria and cause infections. Chams don't need high humidity all the time, instead they need spikes in humidity caused by misting. Also there will be no need for a night light/heat source unless your house drops below 60 at night.

As far as the fogger it runs only 2hrs at a time during the day only. I will keep my eyes on it to see if its creating bad conditions. I don't use the day or night lights on the fixture right now but might need to during winter month where the sun room does get a little chilly. I do need more horizontal branches for sure.

No problem! Even when you don't have questions this site is amazing to just poke around and read, I learn new things almost daily.

Back
Top Bottom