New Tank Setup

Coded

It has been a while since I have had any sort of fish thank, but I have had my eye on the Tetra Fauna Viquarium for some time(and a brand new unused 20 gallon long tank sitting in storage). The price finally dropped enough for me to pull the trigger on the viquarium($67 @ Amazon). I started off with 6 guppies, but I didn't have the river setup right so two swam up river and got stuck in the shallow rocks and died(it is unfortunate, but they were only a dollar a piece). I have since remedied the initial problem(more rocks, slightly lower water level, and crevice blockage).

Anywho, I had a pretty good bio-bloom the next day, did a cycle, added some treatments and a Betta. After the tank cleared I added an albino corydora and a bamboo shrimp. I doubt I will add any "land" animals(or partial land animals) considering the size of the tank, but that may change later.... I really just wanted a planted tank with a few small fish. I have considered trying to somehow work this into a portion/corner of a large custom cham cage, but am hesitant(for the reasons we all know).

This is a crappy cell pic, but I will take some video and better pics later to update this thread. I also need to find a good background for the aquarium. Let me know if you guys know of a good place to snag one(preferably jungle or river theme).

IMG_20130917_122955.jpg

Well I would suggest a few fiddler crabs but u would have to convert to brackish. How many gallons of water are actually available to the fish because maybe something like a large hatchet fish, gourami or possibly a killifish would work. Although nice set up anyways!

There are only 10 gallons of water(half full 20 gallon long tank), but they only have about 55% of that to swim around in(45% of the water is in the land section).

I have 4 Guppies(1" ea), 1 Corydora(1" will get to 2"), 1 Bamboo Shrimp(2"), and the Betta(2" centerpiece fish). I was a little worried about the Betta as their temperament will determine if they can get along with the other fish, but I have not seen any signs of fighting or nipping so far(which is good).

With the number and size of fish I am getting close to pushing the limit of what is sustainable(1" per gallon rule), but I have been pondering what else I could put in there(maybe one or two more fish depending on how big they will get).

And THANKS!

my experience with betta is if you add them to an existing
group of fish, you have a better chance of it working.

nice idea, we like pics!

The betta seems to leave the guppies alone, but he likes to bully the cory sometimes. I may add one or two more corys, so the one feels more comfy, but that will likely be it for fish. Here is a quick video I did of the tank after I added a few more things(light and background). I still want to add a moss rock and another plant top side as well.

Back
Top Bottom