New Star Tortoise!

ferretinmyshoes

Veterinarian
Staff member
Meet Keeva, my male 5 year old Sri Lankan Star Tortoise. I named him after a giraffe at the zoo I befriended during an externship. He was the biggest giraffe I've ever seen, and super sweet! I love tortoises but sadly all mine were too big to keep indoors and since I don't have a yard where I currently live I had to leave with my mom in Texas until I remedy that. I've always loved Stars but they're pretty hard to find, and quite pricey. Well, I have been doing well at work and got a decent bonus and this little guy happened to pop up on cragislist at the same time for the same price as the bonus I got, so I couldn't resist! He's in great shape, with good activity and appetite and his shell is in good shape too. He's a bit shy right now but I know he'll get used to his new home. He'll get to live outdoors on the balcony once it's warm enough. I love him!! :D

full

Last edited by a moderator:
wow - he is beautiful - glad you got something good w/ your bonus - not something silly like a new car ;) I am also using my bonus to get a new "goodie" - a male panther - SHHHHHHH - my husband has NO CLUE :eek::p:eek:;)

Hopefully one day! Not any time in the near future though. I'm a huge believer of turtles and tortoise being outdoors in the most natural environments possible for as much of the year as weather allows. So when we start looking for a house to buy in the next few years it will need to have a yard with safe areas for turtle and tortoise enclosures (and heated houses for my non-hibernators). Once I get that big part squared away I'd love to find him a girlfriend. Species like this need to be bred in captivity more!

Hello Keeva, nice to meet you :). I'm not sure if you believe in destiny Dayna.....but that 'bonus' you got makes it sound to me like she was always your Tortoise.
I think Keeva is a great name for such a beautiful and well-protected girl.
Here's a song for you by my own personal favourite English songwriter. It's one of his more recent ones...much less angry than he used to be....See if you like it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtxMeqC7YaM

If you read my first post you would see he's named after a giraffe, who was very much a male, at the zoo when I was an extern. 'Kiva' means 'harmony' in Swahili, since he was a Masai giraffe. I assisted on a unique procedure to try to save his foot while I was there, that unfortunately was not enough in the long term. You can read about it here: http://www.kvue.com/news/state/141075583.html. He and I were buddies though - nothing like feeding a giraffe and having that foot long tongue wrap around your arm! I could walk under his belly without even having to duck. He was so tall! Keeva was named in his memory, although I changed the spelling a bit since he is indeed not a giraffe. I got Keeva on the one year anniversary of Kiva's death. Another meant-to-be.

....... He and I were buddies though - nothing like feeding a giraffe and having that foot long tongue wrap around your arm! I could walk under his belly without even having to duck. He was so tall!.......I got Keeva on the one year anniversary of Kiva's death. Another meant-to-be.
Nice. Lucky you :D

Gorgeous tortoise, don't get to see many of those on here....I am sorry about the giraffe, they are such cool animals...but it is nice to honor him by naming this boy after him.

Back
Top Bottom