New setup is here!!! Suggestions welcome

jmwhitel

I ordered a 24x24x36 DIY cage for my 4 month female veiled, Nemra. I also ordered the 24in light fixture.

http://www.diycages.com/15201/34001.html
http://www.diycages.com/15264/15964.html

Everything came on time and in perfect order. So kudos to diycages!

Please critique my setup with consideration of future improvements I have planed. For your efforts I have provided some cool pics, and a video of Nemra eating in her new home at the end.

Lighting:
Reptisun 5.0 x 1
Reptisun 10.0 x 1
100w basking bulb x 2
-All lighting is on a 12hr timer.

Plants:
Hibiscus x 1
Pothos x 1
I am going to add more vines and foliage later when I get more $. I will also add a laying bin when I see the "signs"

Feeding:
Currently she eats 10-15 large crickets/day. I let 1/2 free range, while the other half is in a feeding cup. And I hand feed a few everyday as well. All crickets are dusted and gutloaded as suggested on this forum.

Drainage:
None yet, but I will add a custom stand and drainage system after I install a mistking that my lovely wife will get me for my birthday :D

Nemra eating
http://youtu.be/PSlRKyjbeec?hd=1

IMG_4595.jpg

I would ditch the 10.0 the 5.0 is what most of us use. The 10.0 you will run into problems IMO. looks good otherwise.

ditto on the branches and vines. So you have TWO 100 watt basking bulbs? One may be too much heat. What is your basking temp reading? I also agree to just use the 5.0 especially cause your cham is young. Lastly as long as you are free ranging, I would get bigger rocks to use to cover the soil on tha back plant. You would not want your cham to take in one of the rocks with a cricket. She could choke! You cham looks like a little cutie and your cage looks very nice. Just add a few more walkways and you should be good.

Last edited:
how do u get ur pothos to grow upwards lol

Hes right, I just pin them on the cage.

What is a good hardy and bushy plant that I can add to really fill the cage with shrubery? I hear umbrella plants are good, but some say they can be difficult to keep....

What is a good hardy and bushy plant that I can add to really fill the cage with shrubery? I hear umbrella plants are good, but some say they can be difficult to keep....

Schefflera are a very easy plant to keep alive in a Viv. My girl really likes hers and even I have managed to keep it alive for ages now........
They are a kind of umbrella plant and seem to throw leaves out at random :)

Just went a bought a nice schefflera! Her cage is starting to fill out nicely. I also changed my uvb 10.0 to a 5.0. Appreciate all the help. Gonna keep the schefflera pot open with organic soil so she can use it for a laying bin if needed

Just went a bought a nice schefflera! Her cage is starting to fill out nicely. I also changed my uvb 10.0 to a 5.0. Appreciate all the help. Gonna keep the schefflera pot open with organic soil so she can use it for a laying bin if needed

I think a dedicated laying bin that isn't full of roots would be a much better idea, it would need to be a very big pot for that idea to work properly................

Back
Top Bottom