New quad light melted

snitz427

Chameleon Enthusiast
I just bought a new quad light fixture from LYR. It’s been used for 2-3 days now... I came home to a weird melted plastic piece on the table next to the enclosure.

3AE05B8B-83EC-432D-A7FD-DA1B104744CA.jpeg

Turns out one of the bulb connections overheated or possibly caught fire while I wasn’t home!!!! WTF!!!

583804CE-0018-4FFC-BCBD-389384C606AC.jpeg
2D93F62F-9B94-4CCD-A7B0-ECC39C97AB76.jpeg

So not only am I upset my brand new (expensive) light burned out, and that my chameleon is UVBless... but it could’ve burned my house down and killed all my pets (or us)!! I’m totally paranoid about a replacement. I have another, dual lamp over my other enclosure...

Has anyone run into this? I’m hesitant to buy another as we are going to constantly worry. We were only gone for 3 hrs. What if it were a weekend? :(

I would chalk it up to a faulty unit, that sucks but LYR is very reputable. Todd will definitely send you a new unit ASAP, I have a couple of his fixtures that work perfectly. It is crazy that it melted out like that. I wonder if the lamp was loose in the socket? I could definitely see that causing it to get hot. Was the lamp a UVB lamp or a day light lamp? By lamp I mean bulb.

Ok first off I am soooo sorry this happened to you. And I can only image how scary that is! Second did you contact Todd? I have had this Tropic Blaze unit for the last 5 months with no issues. Is it the same as the one you have?
The bottom of mine does not look like yours...
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/ho...ia-12-bulb-3-x-daylight-bulbs-built-in-timer/

I emailed him but being a Sunday night I’m sure I wont speak to them until tomorrow. That light looks like my unit, except I got the 36”. The 24” I bought is the dual and no issues so far.

I would chalk it up to a faulty unit, that sucks but LYR is very reputable. Todd will definitely send you a new unit ASAP, I have a couple of his fixtures that work perfectly. It is crazy that it melted out like that. I wonder if the lamp was loose in the socket? I could definitely see that causing it to get hot. Was the lamp a UVB lamp or a day light lamp? By lamp I mean bulb.

I reached out to him so hopefully we can sort it out quickly, as I have a new cham coming next weekend. This unit had one 6% Arcadia bulb and three 6500 regular bulbs. I’m just a nervous wreck about a possibly faulty model and fire hazard.

It was a 6500 bulb in there. I’ll have to try switching around the other bulbs, as only one ballast is currently working.

I think it was just faulty like Clayton said... LYR is very reputable and Todd I am sure will be horrified about this happening. he will make it right for you. Call him if you don't hear from him via email. He always answers the phone during work hours. :)

I got a response tonight (super fast considering its Sunday night). He gave me the option to replace it or try 2 duals. I think I’m going to go with the duals, only because I’d constantly worry otherwise. Was just curious if others ran into this or if it was a risk with HO bulbs.

Scary experience but glad LYR was quick to help make it right.

Any explanation as to why that happened? Kinda weird that there's just a possibility of these lights to catch on fire... I don't blame you for being freaked out by this.

Not without seeing it, which is understandable. It burned up right at the connector on one ballast. Not sure if others were damaged or it just shorted out. The fans were off too so my guess is it shorted out.... but one bulb was still lit. Very weird!

Back
Top Bottom