New pygmy enclosure...

Julirs

I have come to the conclusion after keeping pygmeleons for about a year that the 10 gallon tank was a big pain in the butt. I guess it is hard to say why these little guys die sometimes, but I have lost a few. I can say in my experience that it really did not matter if they were WC or CB. I know I lost one to egg binding. I came home today to find one dead in the plant tops where usually they are dead on the bottom of the tank. This little girl was fine and eating this morning so I am at a loss for what happened. She laid eggs about a month ago and was not carrying any.
SO....I went and got an Exoterra that was nicely on clearance at Petsmart. I am hoping that this will provide better ventilation, something I think was not ideal in the 10 gallon. Here are some pics of my female and my new male that I picked up at the show-he is an ornry little man and had his way with both of the females the day after I got him! :eek: Maybe "that" is what happened to my female today-exhaustion???? :eek:
DSCN1264.jpg

DSCN1267.jpg

DSCN1271.jpg

I was thinking about a Setup like this for my Office at work... But realized that I would not feel comforatble leaving them every weekend... Soon enough I will start this at home.

Very nice Juli… That is what I keep some of mine in… Did you take the rock background out? I am going to set up a little 10g tank for the super show here in a week or so to keep all the pigs in during it…

atleast ur little guy is getting down to business =P
my guy i would have had for a year tomorrow actually and im confident that any of the eggs ive had are not his... then again i guess i cant be to sure.

Very nice Juli… That is what I keep some of mine in… Did you take the rock background out? I am going to set up a little 10g tank for the super show here in a week or so to keep all the pigs in during it…

I did take out the foam rock background-it looked like a great place for crickets to hide and took up a good amount of space.

Julie, I really like the new piggy set up, it looks great! Sorry to hear about your female. Do you have any eggs incubating? If so how long until you can expect them? I wonder how long is typical for them to live in captivity.... they are so tiny!

I have 7 eggs cooking away!
I bet being so tiny they don't live all that long in the wild-imagine stepping on the little guys walking through the woods there! :(
My longest lived a year-and he was a CB man.

I have 7 eggs cooking away!
I bet being so tiny they don't live all that long in the wild-imagine stepping on the little guys walking through the woods there! :O
My longest lived a year-and he was a CB man.
Wow, well good luck with those eggs. Hopefully you will get some more soon, I heard the incubation time is relatively short. I bet they are REALLY tiny when they hatch, have you witnessed that before? How long have you been keeping the little piggies?

I have had them for just about a year now-I had one clutch of 4 eggs that started to hatch but did not make it-a weak clutch apparently. The babies were fully formed and not as tiny as I thought they might be! I had a clutch of bad eggs that I had cut out of a female that died eggbound-they weirdly seemed ok for 60 days then turned to yellow mush! Now I have 4 from one female and 3 from another. Weirdly enough I can't remember when they were laid-I ususally mark everything! But I think they are about a month along-my last ones took nearly 90 days.
My remaining pair seem to be enjoying the height of the new enclosure. They slept a little higher than they did in the 10 gallon. :)

I have mine set up the same way. Works great!
I think next time I would prefer to give them more floor space. 18X18X18 or bigger.

I really like not having to reach in from above to feed and water...I think they stress out a lot more when we do.

Have fun,
T.

Is that the 12 by 12 by 18 exo terra? i am getting one soon but i dont know if i should put mine in a 15 gallon or my extra exo terra(12 by 12 by 18)

do you not quarantine your new pygmy's at all? :confused:

that may be part of the reason you are losing a few...

Yes-anything WC absolutley gets quarantined. The yound male came from exactly the same place and tank as the females. They were all WC from the same group. The male in the photo is living the bachelor life and is thriving.

hey julirs do u have problems with the eco earth in your 12 x 12 x18 growing small bugs... mine was growing little insects but i cant tell what they were... i had a couple of pigmies a while ago but i just cleaned my cage out... i used to keep the windows opening in my room but i think so small bugs came through the screen and went to the light over my exo terra and started living and breeding there...

Fungus gnats like the Eco-earth (Bed-A-Beast). They never really bothered me-HOWEVER-the spider population did bother me! Spiders loved it in there! I am currently raising up pyglets in open top plastic totes with Bed-A-Beast.

Back
Top Bottom