New pygmies

c81kennedy

I just got the guys today can anyone tell me the speices and sex . I am new to these guys I currently keep dartfrogs.

pygmy046.jpg

pygmy047.jpg

Can you get a more straight side view of the first one? If it's angled away the tail might look shorter than it is...but it looks pretty female. The second one is 100% female.

This is a male:
full

The tail length is how you tell. Long tails are male, short tails are female:
full

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to say Thank You again for the info im really ecited after seeing these little jewels in person. They ate fruitflies as soon and I got home. I think thats a good sign. Any advice on where I can get a male?

backwater reptiles, and exoticpetslv has them right now. Ataraxia here on the forum is getting some too

Yeah I got mine from backwater reptiles. They must have made a mistake or not good as sexing these little guys. Would a trio be ok in a 12x12x18

Yeah I got mine from backwater reptiles. They must have made a mistake or not good as sexing these little guys. Would a trio be ok in a 12x12x18

No, that would be too crowded. I feel that my pair I have in that size viv should have more room honestly. Putting in another one would be too much imo.

Hmmm I wasnt planing on 3 Iv got an 18x18x24 that im keeping a breeding pair of O.Bastimentos dartfrogs I may be able to move them to the 12x12x18.

I was told that was the size to get for a trio. That's why I bought it...

12x12x18" is 11.2 gallons. The rule of thumb is at least 5 gallons for every pyg. So that only room for two pygs. I can tell you that I think an adult pair is pushing it in the size. I have one, and I wish I had a bigger one for them...

Okay. That's good to know for the future.....I don't know what I'll do with that then. I wanted my future 1.2 groups all in the same thing. Lol. Im weird with things matching...

Those tend to get snapped up pretty quickly on craigslist if you don't need it. Then again...if you have a 1.2 trio, you're gonna need someplace to put future babies!

Back
Top Bottom