New provider. Husbandry issues.

SarCastin

Hello, all!

And thank you in advance for support and constructive criticism.

I'm a new provider for a baby veiled chameleon. And I really don't know what I'm doing. I got Sage from Petco a little over a month ago on an impulse buy and I just found the forums a few days ago.

My father-in-law gave me money for Christmas and told me to not let it go to bills. I was going to just let it go to bills and my wife asked, "What's something you've always wanted but never had quite enough money for?" My answer, "A chameleon."

Basically, I think Google and the employees at Petco led me the wrong way in regards to an enclosure and accessories. But shame on me for not doing extensive research beforehand.

So here it goes.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Sage is a veiled chameleon. I believe it's a female, no tarsal spurs. I'm not sure how old it is, the employee at petco couldn't give me any info on her. Maybe 4 months? I've had her for 1 month.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Rarely. Maybe 4 times total. I try to lure her out with a plant when I adjust or clean her cage.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
I feed her staple crickets and wax worms treats. About 6 to 8 crickets a day and 2 waxworms every other day. First feed is at 3:30PM, second feed is 7:00PM. I separate them into another container the night before with only gutload and water.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
I'll check brands after work. Multivitamin once every two weeks, calcium with d3 once a week and calcium w/o d3 daily.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I mist 3 to 4 times a day for about 2 minutes. I also have a DIY dripper that I run for about an hour that I start at between 3:30PM to 4:00PM. I've only seen her drink maybe 4 or 5 times.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Her poo is usually pretty black with white. The past couple of days has gotten more yellow. It started with just the end being yellow but I saw one yesterday that was whole yellow. Has not been tested for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
No info available.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Glass tank. A 20 gallon corner tank from Thrive. It's pretty short. I will definitely need to resize when she gets bigger. I work in a metal shop so making aluminum angles to extend the cage with and some thin screens might work. Suggestions for ventilation? Top? Bottom?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
I have a Reptisun T5HO on from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM. A Fluker's Repti Clamp lamp 9:00 AM to 8:30 PM and a Zoo Med dimmable lamp with infrared bulb for bed time. 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM.

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Basking is at 78 almost constantly. Unless it's night time, which is 70. The lowest it gets in basking is 65. I have the analog Imagitarium gauges from Petco still. I will change these out.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Humidity has been kind of an issue. Getting below 50 during the day and above 70 at night has been troublesome. Mist at 5:00AM, 9:00 AM and 8:00 PM. Imagitarium gauge.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
I have a real money tree and a real curly spider plant. The vines and ivy are fake though.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
It's in my bedroom on my dresser. In front of a window with blinds covered at 30 inches above the floor.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
The west side of Washington state. Wet, cold and cloudy.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Everything. I'm not sure I'm doing anything right.

Will post more pictures when I get home. I do have substrate at the bottom of her tank and I will take that out before posting pictures.

Thank you!!!

Attachments

• 20210214_190523.jpg
    20210214_190523.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 130
  • 20210208_152307.jpg
    20210208_152307.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 130
Hello, all!

I'm a new provider for a baby veiled chameleon. And I really don't know what I'm doing. I got Sage from Petco a little over a month ago on an impulse buy and I just found the forums a few days ago.

My father-in-law gave me money for Christmas and told me to not let it go to bills. I was going to just let it go to bills and my wife asked, "What's something you've always wanted but never had quite enough money for?" My answer, "A chameleon."

Basically, I think Google and the employees at Petco led me the wrong way in regards to an enclosure and accessories. But shame on me for not doing extensive research beforehand.

So here it goes.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Sage is a veiled chameleon. I believe it's a female, no tarsal spurs. I'm not sure how old it is, the employee at petco couldn't give me any info on her. Maybe 4 months? I've had her for 1 month.
Rarely. Maybe 4 times total. I try to lure her out with a plant when I adjust or clean her cage.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
I feed her staple crickets and wax worms treats. About 6 to 8 crickets a day and 2 waxworms every other day. First feed is at 3:30PM, second feed is 7:00PM. I separate them into another container the night before with only gutload and water.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
I'll check brands after work. Multivitamin once every two weeks, calcium with d3 once a week and calcium w/o d3 daily.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I mist 3 to 4 times a day for about 2 minutes. I also have a DIY dripper that I run for about an hour that I start at between 3:30PM to 4:00PM. I've only seen her drink maybe 4 or 5 times.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Her poo is usually pretty black with white. The past couple of days has gotten more yellow. It started with just the end being yellow but I saw one yesterday that was whole yellow. Has not been tested for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
No info available.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Glass tank. A 20 gallon corner tank from Thrive. It's pretty short. I will definitely need to resize when she gets bigger. I work in a metal shop so making aluminum angles to extend the cage with and some thin screens might work. Suggestions for ventilation? Top? Bottom?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
I have a Reptisun T5HO on from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM. A Fluker's Repti Clamp lamp 9:00 AM to 8:30 PM and a Zoo Med dimmable lamp with infrared bulb for bed time. 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM.

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Basking is at 78 almost constantly. Unless it's night time, which is 70. The lowest it gets in basking is 65. I have the analog Imagitarium gauges from Petco still. I will change these out.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Humidity has been kind of an issue. Getting below 50 during the day and above 70 at night has been troublesome. Mist at 5:00AM, 9:00 AM and 8:00 PM. Imagitarium gauge.
I have a real money tree and a real curly spider plant. The vines and ivy are fake though.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
It's in my bedroom on my dresser. In front of a window with blinds covered at 30 inches above the floor.

Everything. I'm not sure I'm doing anything right.

Will post more pictures when I get home. I do have substrate at the bottom of her tank and I will take that out before posting pictures.

Thank you!!!
Here's a good caresheet. https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

Also fill this out with as much info as possible and some of the experienced keepers can better assist you. By the way welcome to the forums.
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Also fill this out with as much info as possible and some of the experienced keepers can better assist you. By the way welcome to the forums.
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?
They did fill this out. 😉

Hello, all!

So here it goes.

Chameleon Info:

Sage is a veiled chameleon. I believe it's a female, no tarsal spurs. I'm not sure how old it is, the employee at petco couldn't give me any info on her. Maybe 4 months? I've had her for 1 month. She is female. I do not see tarsal spurs either. Have you read up on lay bins? She will need a lay bin for when she lays her eggs, since she will lay infertile eggs like a chicken does.
Rarely. Maybe 4 times total. I try to lure her out with a plant when I adjust or clean her cage. This is good.
I feed her staple crickets and wax worms treats. About 6 to 8 crickets a day and 2 waxworms every other day. First feed is at 3:30PM, second feed is 7:00PM. I separate them into another container the night before with only gutload and water. I would feed her as much as she wants for another month or so. And then cut her back to about 6-8 crickets at 6 months. At around 9 months you'll want to feed her 3 medium feeders 3 times a week to cut back on egg production and help her live a full healthy life. What do you gutload with?
I'll check brands after work. Multivitamin once every two weeks, calcium with d3 once a week and calcium w/o d3 daily. What day of the week do you use a multivitamin? You will altwrnate weekly between a multi and your D3, meaning your D3 should also only be used 2 times a month. All other feedings will be the calcium with no D3. Overdosing is equally as harmful as under dosing these vitamins.
I mist 3 to 4 times a day for about 2 minutes. I also have a DIY dripper that I run for about an hour that I start at between 3:30PM to 4:00PM. I've only seen her drink maybe 4 or 5 times. This sounds good. I mist for about 4 minutes, twice a day, but it is whatever works for you. Your dripper is a good idea too. Nice.
Her poo is usually pretty black with white. The past couple of days has gotten more yellow. It started with just the end being yellow but I saw one yesterday that was whole yellow. Has not been tested for parasites. less than 50% yellow is fine. If she gets too dehydrated then you may want to start fogging with a cool mist humidifier during the coolest hours of the night(I do this from 12am-4am) Dry days and moist nights are ideal.
No info available.

Cage Info:

Glass tank. A 20 gallon corner tank from Thrive. It's pretty short. I will definitely need to resize when she gets bigger. I work in a metal shop so making aluminum angles to extend the cage with and some thin screens might work. Suggestions for ventilation? Top? Bottom? she will need the equivalent of a 2ftx2ftx4ft enclosure when she gets older. The too, front, and bottom panel should be screen for ventilation and light penetration, but the sides and bottom can be solid. What is your drainage situation like for all the water?
I have a Reptisun T5HO on from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM. A Fluker's Repti Clamp lamp 9:00 AM to 8:30 PM and a Zoo Med dimmable lamp with infrared bulb for bed time. 8:30 PM to 9:30 PM. There is no need for a bedtime bulb. Lights go on for 12 hours and off for 12 hours. They need cool nights and prefer it to be cooler than 65°f. They can handle temp down into the low 50s - high 40s. So no need for that bedtime bulb or any heat/nightlight.

Basking is at 78 almost constantly. Unless it's night time, which is 70. The lowest it gets in basking is 65. I have the analog Imagitarium gauges from Petco still. I will change these out. this seems good. since she is female you're will never want her temps over 80°. Ideally she will be between 78-80 at basking during the day, and then temps should drop way down at night.
Humidity has been kind of an issue. Getting below 50 during the day and above 70 at night has been troublesome. Mist at 5:00AM, 9:00 AM and 8:00 PM. Imagitarium gauge. Mist less often is what I recommend. Drop the 9am misting. Do you have a bottom panel for ventilation on her enclosure? I'm not familiar with the one you have. She definitely needs her enclosure to dry during the day and for air to be circulating so she isn't sitting in stagnant air.
I have a real money tree and a real curly spider plant. The vines and ivy are fake though. Great that you have live plants. You'll want to be removing the fake ones and replacing with real ones. Veileds are known for eating their plants and fake ones can cause impation.

Everything. I'm not sure I'm doing anything right. You are doing a lot of stuff right. Just keep learning and improving. This hobby is wonderful because we are all continuously learning and making adjustments as we go. You will never stop changing things as you learn. It's an addicting (and expensive) hobby!

Will post more pictures when I get home. I do have substrate at the bottom of her tank and I will take that out before posting pictures. Definitely no substrate on the bottom. You want clean bare bottoms unless you decide to go bioactive. Then you will add insects as a clean up crew so your substrate doesnt become a breeding ground for bacteria.

Thank you!!!
chameleonacademy.com is a great website. I see that @Quick Draw Mcgraw has linked it for you already. I'll attach some gut loading sheets and safe plant images for you to look at. Also a guide for lay bins.

Oh, and welcome to forums and the hobby! This is my favorite place!View attachment 293000View attachment 293001View attachment 293003View attachment 293004View attachment 293005

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll have to work on her cage some. I bought a fog machine for bed time, took out all the substrate, bought some rocks to cover the bottom of the plants, ordered some pothos and hornworms. I still have to add better ventilation and right now, I'm just soaking the remnant water up with a towel from the bottom. And I need to work on a routine supplement schedule and better gutloading. I will make her cage bigger, eventually. Does anyone have suggestion as to where to get vines? I believe I have the exoterra ones that flake off.

Attachments

• 20210216_145155.jpg
    20210216_145155.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 109
  • 20210216_145212.jpg
    20210216_145212.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 20210216_145155.jpg
    20210216_145155.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 20210216_151008.jpg
    20210216_151008.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 20210216_214952.jpg
    20210216_214952.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 108
Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll have to work on her cage some. I bought a fog machine for bed time, took out all the substrate, bought some rocks to cover the bottom of the plants, ordered some pothos and hornworms. I still have to add better ventilation and right now, I'm just soaking the remnant water up with a towel from the bottom. And I need to work on a routine supplement schedule and better gutloading. I will make her cage bigger, eventually. Does anyone have suggestion as to where to get vines? I believe I have the exoterra ones that flake off.
I would not use this red light in the last picture. It can really throw them off and isn't great for their eyes.

Back
Top Bottom